• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

New 6G Ranger competition - New Colorado

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
No idea if this will mean squat for the US 6G, but for Australia, comparing a 2019 to a 2023, same XLT Double Cab, same engine displacement, shows a 163 pound increase in curb weight in the 6G. Maybe not a perfect comparison, I used the 2.0 turbo diesel, but the engine weight may be different since I think the 2.0 changed for the 6G. 2023 Colorado Z71 and Trail Boss curb wt is 4,971 lb. Adding 163 pounds to the 5G XLT 4x4 SCrew would be a 4,604 lb curb wt. The GM twins will have more TQ & HP compared to the 5G 2.3L, but let's see if output gets bumped on that 2.3L, and see if Ford offers the 2.7L as an option to fight TQ & HP with trims lower than the Raptor. I haven't considered gear and axle ratios, but that big weight gain on the GM twins sure gives me more pause, even more reason to stay focused on the Ranger 6G. Hopefully it isn't more than a month of two before we see the US reveal and some specs!
Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
https://tfltruck.com/2022/08/ask-tfl-2023-chevrolet-colorado-questions/

great write up and food for thought from a current Colorado Owner.
Really enjoyed that. A Bison owner who would not give up his truck for the new model.
The engine and transmission are in ?. Where I think the 2.3L Eco Tech or Eco Boost is a good motor. The Ford 10 Speed seems to be sorted and better then the previous Gen. Its a mid size truck you can expect OK gas mileage.

"Four-cylinder motors have a terrible stigma and this long stroke, low revving turbo-four may not change people’s minds, especially in the 2023 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2."

It looks like its 300lbs more then the previous Gen Chevy. If that equates to a stronger more reinforced frame then I am OK with that. Where is the extra 300lbs going to.

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Last edited:

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Great to see the competition raising the bar in the mid size range so I agree Ford will need to offer something more than the 2.3L and hope they don't rely on just the Raptor to claim more in class power over the GM twins. I like that the GMC Canyons all come with the high output 2.7L, but don't like that both the Colorado and Canyon deleted a headlight knob/ switch. Sure, I usually leave our headlights in auto, but I still like to change between on, off, or parking lights and don't want to go into the head unit to do that. The 6G Ranger is still my plan, I think the FX4 or Tremor packages offer more of what I want, but am concerned how long it might take to actually receive a 6G next year. While I really want a 6G Tremor, I don't think I'll wait on it over the FX4 since the Tremor packages seem to arrive well after launch, and I'm leaning towards upgrading the FX4 suspension anyway. If a 6G doesn't seem ready for deliveries in the US next summer, I'll be giving the Canyon serious consideration. Come on Ford, US 6G reveal soon please!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Great to see the competition raising the bar in the mid size range so I agree Ford will need to offer something more than the 2.3L and hope they don't rely on just the Raptor to claim more in class power over the GM twins. I like that the GMC Canyons all come with the high output 2.7L, but don't like that both the Colorado and Colorado deleted a headlight knob/ switch. Sure, I usually leave our headlights in auto, but I still like to change between on, off, or parking lights and don't want to go into the head unit to do that. The 6G Ranger is still my plan, I think the FX4 or Tremor packages offer more of what I want, but am concerned how long it might take to actually receive a 6G next year. While I really want a 6G Tremor, I don't think I'll wait on it over the FX4 since the Tremor packages seem to arrive well after launch, and I'm leaning towards upgrading the FX4 suspension anyway. If a 6G doesn't seem ready for deliveries in the US next summer, I'll be giving the Canyon serious consideration. Come on Ford, US 6G reveal soon please!
This is spot on!!

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Tailgate has a cooler in it and will hold in place for transporting plywood like the Maverick

Looks like it has a camera underneath the truck. also offered with a sun roof.
....also has stake pockets, heated AND cooled seats, and memory seats/mirrors. :thumbsup:

OHTREMOR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Lariat Tremor
The Colorado and Canyon have a dedicated manufacturing plant for those vehicles. You will be able to get a Chevy product much quicker then the Ranger.
Saw somewhere production will start in the GM/MO plant in January 2023 on the twins.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
The Canyons were always the best looking midsize pick up IMO
I agree until the last few years, they just seemed so dated. I actually think the Colorado looks better from what I've seen so far. That's never been the case for me.

if they roll out the Ranger like the Bronco I would probably consider the canyon.
True. At one point the 6g Ranger was scheduled to be a 22' MY. Now I just saw it's a 24'. I get the global shortages etc. but the Bronco rollout was bad even by Ford standards.

That's the reveal I've been most interested in and probably my next vehicle. I'd get a Ranger Raptor, but my guess is there will be ADM on those for quite some time, and I refuse to pay ADM. Hell, I refuse to pay MSRP. :) I'm guessing the ZR2/AT4x will be under MSRP in the 2nd year.
I keep hoping the market collapses. I mean, it has to soon? Idiots paying $10k-$15K, even $20k ADM on Mavericks for a while!! I think anything new or special will carry an ADM for quite some time, only because people are dumb enough to pay it and somehow supply can't catch up to demand. Now it seems automakers are jacking up MSRP prices because the consumer has set the price bar extremely high in what they are willing to pay. I saw on GM authority "Additionally, the limited-run 2023 GMC Canyon AT4X Edition 1 will start at $63,350, before DFC." So, with freight, you're looking at a $65k Canyon and people will shell out $75k-$80k for them. Gives us an idea of what we can expect for the Ranger Raptor. I think I have officially been priced out of the new car market as long as this trend continues. Insanity!!

rxv_poor

First Name
Leland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Forester XT
Occupation
IT
I had a 2022 Tremor on order. I canceled it. I want Ranger Raptor. I don't know if I'm going to be allowed to buy one like the Bronco Raptor. I have a GMC Canyon AT4X Edition 1 reservation. We will see.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro
I am in the market for a next-gen midsize truck to replace my Camry. Big no to Tacoma/Frontier. Colorado looks great inside and out, but the transmission and lack of a 6' bed make me less than 100% on it. If the NA 6th gen Ranger adds a 6' bed (as has been seen in some mules) while also providing significant interior improvements it will be a tough choice for me.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
The new top model will be the GMC Canyon AT4X, which will cost $63,350 for a launch edition.
Sponsored