• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Power Loss

RoackJewel

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ranger XLS
Occupation
Self Employed
Hey Everyone, hope someone can help.

I have a 2018 Ranger XLS 3.2L Turbo. I went on a long road trip about 3 months ago had no issue getting there, but on the way home if I put my foot down to over take a truck the car would not move it would jerk back and forward and I was unable to do it. I put into mechanic thinking was engine issue, they plugged computer in said nothing wrong it was transmission and recommended a transmission person. I took to transmission fellow and he took for drive and said nothing wrong with transmission he thought engine was missing when trying to get more power. He plugged in computer and again no fault codes. I gave up and just kept driving car like a granny and not give it any herbs. Now its gotten worse and the orange spanner light comes (Powertrain Fault)on and goes off. Anyone had similar issue??
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I think you want the 5g forum :) good luck

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Hey Everyone, hope someone can help.

I have a 2018 Ranger XLS 3.2L Turbo. I went on a long road trip about 3 months ago had no issue getting there, but on the way home if I put my foot down to over take a truck the car would not move it would jerk back and forward and I was unable to do it. I put into mechanic thinking was engine issue, they plugged computer in said nothing wrong it was transmission and recommended a transmission person. I took to transmission fellow and he took for drive and said nothing wrong with transmission he thought engine was missing when trying to get more power. He plugged in computer and again no fault codes. I gave up and just kept driving car like a granny and not give it any herbs. Now its gotten worse and the orange spanner light comes (Powertrain Fault)on and goes off. Anyone had similar issue??
Thanks in advance.
Hey mate, best bet is to take it into Ford and get it scanned. See if they can keep the diagnostics plugged in while you drive it for them, and try and replicate the fault.
A common one with the 3.2 worth checking is the turbo/intercooler hoses, it's common for them to split which causes a power loss under boost. They usually split at the elbow bends, often the upper one near the radiator. Otherwise it could be a sensor issue.

OP
OP

RoackJewel

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ranger XLS
Occupation
Self Employed
Hey mate, best bet is to take it into Ford and get it scanned. See if they can keep the diagnostics plugged in while you drive it for them, and try and replicate the fault.
A common one with the 3.2 worth checking is the turbo/intercooler hoses, it's common for them to split which causes a power loss under boost. They usually split at the elbow bends, often the upper one near the radiator. Otherwise it could be a sensor issue.
Great thank you.
I have it booked into Ford thanks
Sponsored