• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Purchasing first model year vehicles

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Really? I was trying to spoil your fun? And the fun of the other forum members? News to me. If I wasn't excited about the new Ranger I wouldn't visit this forum, and I certainly wouldn't have finally registered here.

As to stealerships, you refer to them any way you want. But for me, the title is appropriate.

Probable pricing games = negativity? We'll just have to agree to disagree. I call it potential reality in today's market.

Lastly, I would NEVER comment on a Ranger forum, 5G or 6G, just to piss in somebody's coffee. Enough bullshit in the world. Don't need it on a truck enthusiast forum.

Have a nice day.
IMO an honest reading of your post I replied to shows a negative slant from the beginning including personal examples of things you didn't like about 1st year models and negative experiences you've had, then goes on to predict problems for people trying to buy the 2024 while taking a generalized shot at dealers- as if they are all shady, and finally concludes with you ordered a MY2023 instead. If it wasn't meant in a negative way, why even bother joining here and post those details, especially after you already made your decision to go with a 5G 2023?

As I mentioned I went through the Maverick roller coaster and had a good experience all the way around. With that said, there WERE some people reporting problems with their dealers and screw ups they experienced- and they kept coming back and repeating it again and again which lessens the experience for others on the forum who have to keep reading it or place people on ignore. If not called out for it the forums devolve into nothing but a big bitchfest that turns off people who want to share or seek information. I look forward to learning more about the 6G here and I'm keeping an open mind about what lies ahead and would hate to see what happened at MTC happen here.

YMMV
Sponsored

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
I ordered a 2019 5G the 1st day that the order bank opened. I have done this several times on other Fords with no major issues or anything that I would point to as a teething problem. My 2019 was the 1st Scab on this platform and the 1st in the state of Tx. With the supply chain issues as the stand now, I don't know if I would or not. Seems like any thing I try to order now is delayed. Your results may vary.....

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
IMO an honest reading of your post I replied to shows a negative slant from the beginning including personal examples of things you didn't like about 1st year models and negative experiences you've had, then goes on to predict problems for people trying to buy the 2024 while taking a generalized shot at dealers- as if they are all shady, and finally concludes with you ordered a MY2023 instead. If it wasn't meant in a negative way, why even bother joining here and post those details, especially after you already made your decision to go with a 5G 2023?

As I mentioned I went through the Maverick roller coaster and had a good experience all the way around. With that said, there WERE some people reporting problems with their dealers and screw ups they experienced- and they kept coming back and repeating it again and again which lessens the experience for others on the forum who have to keep reading it or place people on ignore. If not called out for it the forums devolve into nothing but a big bitchfest that turns off people who want to share or seek information. I look forward to learning more about the 6G here and I'm keeping an open mind about what lies ahead and would hate to see what happened at MTC happen here.

YMMV

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Yep, the Maverick Truck Club forum is such a negative shit show I don’t even check it any more. The Hybrids were a problem and that’s all that was posted. I was criticized for some because I bought the 2.0 and got my vehicle. Oh well, it’s all good. I have concerns but more about Ford having the necessary parts and building them not so much about after it arrives but I hope that I am wrong. I will stay positive but realistic.

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
There an aviation corollary to this. Never fly the alpha model. I would much rather wait a year and make sure they get the bugs out.

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
There an aviation corollary to this. Never fly the alpha model. I would much rather wait a year and make sure they get the bugs out.
In ordinary times (past), this is sage advice. IMO, the times have permanently changed now. Popular models sell out quickly and long waits after ordering are the norm across all brands. Now it seems if you snooze you lose and there's no certainty you will even be able to easily buy a popular model after waiting a year. On a positive note, most the early issues now seem to be SW related and easily remedied and to a lesser extent quality issues that do improve over time if that is prioritized by the manufacturer.

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
I ordered my 2019 5G the first day ordering was allowed. Other than the steering wheel coming loose once, I have had zero problems. I usually resist the first year, but in this case I am glad I did. With Ford's current policy of deleting features with subsequent years it may make sense to go with the first year.

OP
OP

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 5g is a bit of an edge case to this problem considering it was in use for 7 years prior to coming to NA. That gave plenty of time to squash nearly any bugs that arose.

While NA still gets a 1-year buffer from the RoW, that just doesn't really compare to the previous gen's 7 years.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor

YMMV
You're lucky you had a good experience but many others have not. Just go over to the Bronco forum and see all the bad experiences there. A lot of them had sign contracts with their dealers and once their Bronco arrived they were told they now have an additional $10K-$20K markup on them. They asked why and the sales manager said "because we can and if you don't buy it someone else will". This wasn't a few isolated incidents it happened to many on there across the country so it's fitting to say there's a lot of very shady/scummy dealers out there.

These forums are the place to come and let others know about this and while you or I might not like what's being said about them it does give others good info as to what "could" happen when their truck arrives. Not everyone is going to agree what every member says but unless it's against the forum rules they still have the right to voice their opinions. Whether or not they're buying a 6G is irrelevant, he (or anyone else) has every right to join and post. We have several members on the 5G site who don't own a Ranger (for one reason or another) but they're still welcome to participate. We don't need members telling others what they should and should not post, that's our jobs here and this site won't be so heavily moderated that it keeps others from posting or having fun. Like I tell others on the 5G site if there's a post you don't like just move on to another you do. We like to let members work things out between themselves as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I don't like or agree with every post/thread and some turn into a bitchfest but as long as it doesn't get to out of hand that's fine. Usually after a couple posts it's done and over with. An overly moderated forum is just as bad or worse than one that has no moderation at all. :wink:

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
I don't have much of an issue purchasing first model year vehicles, but I watch the forums and such very closely to see what problems arise and where.

I knew what I was getting into with the Bronco and it's potential to have some issues, especially with the hard top after it's problems became glaringly apparent after a few customer deliveries. Sad part is, version 2.0 of that top is now having hair-line cracking issues around the side glass lower portion that mounts to the body.

I was watching a Y.T video the other day, where an owner of a Ranger Raptor was listing off his 'dislikes' (majority were minor quibbles based on their personal preference, mostly), but one stood out and made me think.

We know the Ranger Raptor has a lower towing/hauling rating, but if you, let's say, Overland and wanted to put a roof-top style tent over/across the top of the bed sides, they recommended adding certain bracing. It was some J braces that Ford recommended be added to the front part of the bed.
My thought was, why leave that off when there are people who are obviously going to do stuff like that with the truck. If they plan on leaving it off, at least make it an option to add on the build & price.

Sponsored

Geotoxic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Pro
I don't have much of an issue purchasing first model year vehicles, but I watch the forums and such very closely to see what problems arise and where.

I knew what I was getting into with the Bronco and it's potential to have some issues, especially with the hard top after it's problems became glaringly apparent after a few customer deliveries. Sad part is, version 2.0 of that top is now having hair-line cracking issues around the side glass lower portion that mounts to the body.

I was watching a Y.T video the other day, where an owner of a Ranger Raptor was listing off his 'dislikes' (majority were minor quibbles based on their personal preference, mostly), but one stood out and made me think.

We know the Ranger Raptor has a lower towing/hauling rating, but if you, let's say, Overland and wanted to put a roof-top style tent over/across the top of the bed sides, they recommended adding certain bracing. It was some J braces that Ford recommended be added to the front part of the bed.
My thought was, why leave that off when there are people who are obviously going to do stuff like that with the truck. If they plan on leaving it off, at least make it an option to add on the build & price.
  • What are Fords Recommendations?
    There is little publication about the J-Brace however Ford has issued a statement stating that it is a requirement that any 2022 Ranger fitted with a canopy must have a J-brace strengthening kit installed. These brace kits are to be supplied by ford or be a ford licenced accessory to ensure that the warranty on your vehicle is valid (Current Ford Part Number AMN1WJ27726AA).

From https://hsputelids.com/warranty/new-gen-ranger-warranty/

dirtlanesplitter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
I've always avoided 1st MY like the plague.
Registered just to reply. I take that one further and generally avoid vehicles until after the mid-cycle refresh, especially Fords.

Had a '99 F-150 5.4L which got the PI heads. Had a '01 F-250, also with the PI heads, but missed out on the newer interior. Had a '13 Edge which was after the mid-cycle refresh. Drove that thing 170,000 miles with nothing outside of standard maintenance and wear items.

Had a '15 Honda Odyssey which was also after the mid-cycle refresh. Got the better transmission, aluminum hood, fenders, and lower control arms, lane watch camera, and other nice-to-haves in the interior.

Exception was a '16 Honda HR-V. I was okay with buying it on release year because the engine was the R18A6 from the Honda Civic, and the manual transmission was the same as the CR-Z sport hybrid. That car also never let me stranded and the biggest issue I had was the HVAC blend door getting stuck.

It was a known issue with early builds. It required the front seats, center console, and the entire dash to be removed from the vehicle so that the HVAC assembly could be replaced. I had a couple squeaks and rattles after that, but nothing too annoying considering that the car cost $21,000 out the door brand new.

It also required multiple trips to the dealer. Once for the initial diagnostic, another after the backordered parts arrived, another because I made it barely a few miles away before the dash lit up like a Christmas tree (they neglected to reprogram the PCM after removing and reinstalling it), another for an interior trim diagnostic (the shift boot kept falling off the shifter because the first technician broke the retaining ring while removing the center console), another for the parts to be installed.

Being a former dealer tech myself, I was cordial the entire time. The day I dropped off the car for the HVAC replacement, I left a 4-pack of Monsters in the passenger seat and a note wishing the tech an easy repair. He wrote a thank you note on the back of the repair order.

I got loaner cars for the time as well. Being a former auto detailer, I brought them back cleaner than I received them, with a full tank of gas regardless of how much (or little) was in it when I got it. The service manager, whom I've had a couple conversations with, seeing that I was back several times, offered to sell me some genuine OEM accessory door moldings and fog lights at their lowest cost and install them for free, to which I took him up on.

in 2006 bought a Frontier (no Ranger option then). 2005 1/2 was the first year of that one so '06 was very close to being the first MY. Complete and total POS. Told myself to wait but I really wanted the truck. Regretted it quickly. Constant repairs. CONSTANT. Just awful. In later years the '05 and '06 were routinely listed as MY's to avoid at all costs.
I bought a preowned '16 Frontier in '18 mainly because it was largely unchanged except for minor fixes and refreshes for its decade-plus run. I now drive a '19 Frontier, which is the last year of the 4.0L V6. It gets the gas mileage of a truck from 2005, but most all problems are well-documented with reasonable fixes, and parts are relatively inexpensive and available immediately or at latest maybe a week out at most.

One of the other perks of going with a less popular brand is that service appointments are easy to come by. The local Ford/Chevrolet/Toyota dealers are booked weeks out, whereas I was simply told to show up at my convenience for warranty work on my Frontiers.

US RangerRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded Focus RS, '21Ranger Tremor
Registered just to reply. I take that one further and generally avoid vehicles until after the mid-cycle refresh, especially Fords.

Had a '99 F-150 5.4L which got the PI heads. Had a '01 F-250, also with the PI heads, but missed out on the newer interior. Had a '13 Edge which was after the mid-cycle refresh. Drove that thing 170,000 miles with nothing outside of standard maintenance and wear items.

Had a '15 Honda Odyssey which was also after the mid-cycle refresh. Got the better transmission, aluminum hood, fenders, and lower control arms, lane watch camera, and other nice-to-haves in the interior.

Exception was a '16 Honda HR-V. I was okay with buying it on release year because the engine was the R18A6 from the Honda Civic, and the manual transmission was the same as the CR-Z sport hybrid. That car also never let me stranded and the biggest issue I had was the HVAC blend door getting stuck.

It was a known issue with early builds. It required the front seats, center console, and the entire dash to be removed from the vehicle so that the HVAC assembly could be replaced. I had a couple squeaks and rattles after that, but nothing too annoying considering that the car cost $21,000 out the door brand new.

It also required multiple trips to the dealer. Once for the initial diagnostic, another after the backordered parts arrived, another because I made it barely a few miles away before the dash lit up like a Christmas tree (they neglected to reprogram the PCM after removing and reinstalling it), another for an interior trim diagnostic (the shift boot kept falling off the shifter because the first technician broke the retaining ring while removing the center console), another for the parts to be installed.

Being a former dealer tech myself, I was cordial the entire time. The day I dropped off the car for the HVAC replacement, I left a 4-pack of Monsters in the passenger seat and a note wishing the tech an easy repair. He wrote a thank you note on the back of the repair order.

I got loaner cars for the time as well. Being a former auto detailer, I brought them back cleaner than I received them, with a full tank of gas regardless of how much (or little) was in it when I got it. The service manager, whom I've had a couple conversations with, seeing that I was back several times, offered to sell me some genuine OEM accessory door moldings and fog lights at their lowest cost and install them for free, to which I took him up on.

I bought a preowned '16 Frontier in '18 mainly because it was largely unchanged except for minor fixes and refreshes for its decade-plus run. I now drive a '19 Frontier, which is the last year of the 4.0L V6. It gets the gas mileage of a truck from 2005, but most all problems are well-documented with reasonable fixes, and parts are relatively inexpensive and available immediately or at latest maybe a week out at most.

One of the other perks of going with a less popular brand is that service appointments are easy to come by. The local Ford/Chevrolet/Toyota dealers are booked weeks out, whereas I was simply told to show up at my convenience for warranty work on my Frontiers.
Especially Fords..??
But your Honda required multiple extensive dealer repairs....and your used Nissan after only two years and warranty work still needed repairs !
Hope you stay with your imports and away from the US mfgs, you deserve it. Of course 1st year products haven't worked out all the bugs, quit whining.
Individual Dealers, their skillsets and operations, are independent of the Mfg.

dirtlanesplitter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
Especially Fords..??
I meant that as in, "Better things come to those who are patient." I have no problem buying a release-year Ford. Had the Maverick been available as an AWD hybrid at launch, I would've preordered one. But if the timing works out and you're able to wait until the mid-cycle refresh, you'll usually get a lot of nice-to-haves.

But your Honda required multiple extensive dealer repairs
One initial issue (blend door diag) plus four follow-ups (install part, PCM issue, interior diag, interior install). I wouldn't consider it unusual given they had to remove the entire interior of the vehicle forward of the B-pillars. I did airbag recalls for a bit and that was a pain in the neck. For the particular car that I was working on, the headliner had to be removed, which required removing literally the entire interior.

your used Nissan after only two years and warranty work still needed repairs !
I didn't mention anything of the sort. Perhaps I wasn't clear or you should read carefully and not jump to conclusions? I said that any problems are well-documented. So if I do encounter an issue, at least I'll know what I'm in for.

Hope you stay with your imports and away from the US mfgs, you deserve it.
Hope your day gets better. On the topic of country of origin, I hope you enjoy your UK-built Focus RS. I'll be enjoying my Tennessee- and Mississippi-built Frontiers while awaiting news of a crew-cab 6' bed Ford Ranger 6G.

Of course 1st year products haven't worked out all the bugs, quit whining.
I don't see where I was "whining"? In fact, I said I was a former dealer technician and was cordial with the service department the entire time, and that I left a pack of energy drinks and a thank you note in my passenger seat for the technician, and that I returned loaner cars with a full tank of gas, and cleaner than I received them, and the service manager took notice and sold me genuine OEM accessories at cost and installed them for free...

US RangerRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded Focus RS, '21Ranger Tremor
Hope your day gets better. On the topic of country of origin, I hope you enjoy your UK-built Focus RS. I'll be enjoying my Tennessee- and Mississippi-built Frontiers while awaiting news of a crew-cab 6' bed Ford Ranger 6G.
Sponsored