• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger 2.7 lariat question here....

G L Rockwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma off road
Occupation
self
When this engine is available in the fall, does anyone know wether the auto 4 wheel will be too ? I'd also assume it ought to have substantial better mpg's over the 2.3. Any thought appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP

G L Rockwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma off road
Occupation
self
The 2.7 will not have better MPGs.. 2.3 will be for fuel economy and 2.7 for horse power..
Its looking like Q4 is when you will be able to order it
No expert here although the f150 2.7 eco is around 24, that's better than the mpg my buddy gets in his 2.3 2023 ranger. Let alone size and weight difference.

Lron58

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 Lariat
When this engine is available in the fall, does anyone know wether the auto 4 wheel will be too ? I'd also assume it ought to have substantial better mpg's over the 2.3. Any thought appreciated.
I will be surprised if it doesn't get better mileage given the mileage improvements it gets in the F150 over the 3.5 EcoBoost. IMHO, the weight/HP ratio should make this happen.

DirtyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger
I will be surprised if it doesn't get better mileage given the mileage improvements it gets in the F150 over the 3.5 EcoBoost. IMHO, the weight/HP ratio should make this happen.
Honestly, I think the opposite. The outgoing Ranger is much more aerodynamic than what's coming, and the F150 is a literal barn door. But the rental 4x4 2.7 I had a few months ago did immeasurably better than anything reported in the past 3 years on Fuelly. My buddy's 2 door base 2.3 Bronco on pizza cutter 32" tires didn't even come close to what I was getting.
It makes no sense and defeats the biggest historical purpose of buying a midsize truck but... 🤷‍♂️

Prove me wrong, Ford. Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
Depends on the gear ratio they use for the 2.7L. If they use a 3.5:1 ratio it should get pretty good mileage compared to the 2.3L. The F150 weighs about 400lbs more that the current Ranger.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
F-150 has Aluminum body that could account for some of its efficiency vs. Ranger?

OP
OP

G L Rockwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma off road
Occupation
self
F-150 has Aluminum body that could account for some of its efficiency vs. Ranger?
The ranger has an aluminum tailgate. I assumed since the ranger is more aerodynamic and weighs less that the engine wouldn't work as hard in comparison to the 2.3. Either way the power will be there when you need it. They retune these trucks on new launches most of the time so maybe the 2.3 will be better than the previous gen. I test drove a 2.3 when the previous generation first launched and to me it felt underpowered. Not knocking it just MHO.

Sponsored
OP
OP

G L Rockwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma off road
Occupation
self
Did you order your RR and how did the pricing work out for you ? I'm trying to decide on basically 4 over msrp.

Stix

First Name
Stix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger next generation
Occupation
Retired
If you want economy get the 2.0 single turbo.
Around town 32mpg
On a run 37 mpg
More money for beer !🍺

TheShark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
If you want economy get the 2.0 single turbo.
Around town 32mpg
On a run 37 mpg
More money for beer !🍺
I suppose if you really are after MPG then perhaps a Maverick Hybrid would be a good choice...if you can find one. :)

Stix

First Name
Stix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger next generation
Occupation
Retired
Hi the shark
For sure , I am lucky, not towing anything and don't need 4x4 thus the economy!
But I would love to have a hybrid version , especially if that was 4x4 .
Take it easy
Sponsored