• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger Raptor Lane Centering and Lane Keeping clarification

Kon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor Next Gen
Yeah I just don’t think that’s your culprit. The lane centering works using a camera behind the rear view mirror that attempts to find lane markings. Results can vary greatly depending on the quality of those markings and on the accuracy of their tracking algorithm. Theoretically the car wouldn’t really care which side the driver is one because the car is either in the center or not. I have no doubts that software updates can change its effectiveness, but I don’t think the side of the road really matters. It almost sounds like your centering got turned off and lane keeping was left on. Either way I’m optimistic. I rented a 2022 Limited Explorer in Seattle last year and tried the lane centering. I thought for sure it was pushing me too far over to one side. But when I actually examined my tire placement using my side mirrors, it was dead nuts center. I don’t think it will be an issue.
I reckon you're right there. Some of our Aussie rural roads have rubbish markings.

When I was testing this on highways with good markings, the ping pong effect (post recall) was still there, but you could see from the RAG status lights that the lines were being correctly identified.

My assumption about the nature of the algorithm is based on an apparent preference to push right rather than left, in my case. In single lane traffic, you would imagine the outside of the road is the safer side, hence my conjecture about LH drive vs RH drive. In multi-lane traffic the middle of the lane would seem safer. I don't know enough about how these work to make any more sensible observations!
Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
I reckon you're right there. Some of our Aussie rural roads have rubbish markings.

When I was testing this on highways with good markings, the ping pong effect (post recall) was still there, but you could see from the RAG status lights that the lines were being correctly identified.

My assumption about the nature of the algorithm is based on an apparent preference to push right rather than left, in my case. In single lane traffic, you would imagine the outside of the road is the safer side, hence my conjecture about LH drive vs RH drive. In multi-lane traffic the middle of the lane would seem safer. I don't know enough about how these work to make any more sensible observations!
You might be right but I know nothing about the algorithm.

OP
OP

Labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Enterprise Architect
So, a few observations from my 2022 Aussie Raptor after 16000km.
Before they "fixed" something in the first software recall for the lane keeping system, the vehicle used to keep bang on the line around curves, however it did and still does always push me hard to the centre line on the right. (I still wonder if that is because we drive on the left here and there has been no adjustment in the software for a right-hand drive market.) After the recall, the vehicle now ping pongs between lines, but is still quite aggressive in pushing right up to the line, not centering and maintaining.

I also wonder if this behaviour was introduced in the recall because it forces driver feedback. Prior to the recall it was possible to maintain a straight line with so little pressure on the wheel that the Keep Hands On Wheel warning would trigger on a straight road! Now I have to fight the lane keeping system on a straight.

I tested what happens if I ignore the driver feedback warning which kicks in after about 6 seconds, and after a more intense warning at around 10 seconds, it drops power after about 12 seconds.

I turn off the system routinely when I drive. The push to the right and onto the centre line is downright dangerous: I don't want to meet a semitrailer head-on on a rural road.

YMMV in a left-hand drive market.
That sounds like a totally useless system. I love the system on my Hyundai Santa Cruz. It tracks dead center and doesn't give you a warning to keep you hands on the wheel for 4-8 minutes (6 on average). While I don't let it drive for me, I have used it on the Interstate to grab aspirin out of the center console or blow my nose without needing to pull over. It sounds like the Ford solution is beyond useless and closer to being dangerous. I hate paying for features I won't use.

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
Lane keeping , and automatic lane centering are different technologies. Are people getting them confused? Unless you have a package or top trim with AUTO Lane Centering, you have lane keeping.

Just wanted to mention it, just in case.

OP
OP

Labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Enterprise Architect
Lane keeping , and automatic lane centering are different technologies. Are people getting them confused? Unless you have a package or top trim with AUTO Lane Centering, you have lane keeping.

Just wanted to mention it, just in case.
Kon said that he had perfect lane centering until they refreshed with an upgrade. I suspect they disabled lane centering in the process. I really like the lane centering feature and hope that it works well with the 2024 Raptor. I wish they had Blue Cruise available for it. I almost bought an F-150 to have that feature as I log a lot of interstate miles. Unfortunately the F-150 won't fit in my garage without a spotter and a shoe horn.

Sponsored

Kon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor Next Gen
Kon said that he had perfect lane centering until they refreshed with an upgrade. I suspect they disabled lane centering in the process. I really like the lane centering feature and hope that it works well with the 2024 Raptor. I wish they had Blue Cruise available for it. I almost bought an F-150 to have that feature as I log a lot of interstate miles. Unfortunately the F-150 won't fit in my garage without a spotter and a shoe horn.
And for the avoidance of doubt, the feature in mine is called Lane Keeping

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Does the 5G have lane keeping? My current Ranger just bounces you off the line if you get too close. I still find it handy as it's better than the rumble strips, but it's annoying in canyon driving when you naturally cut the inside corners when traveling at speed.

My wife's Bronco Sport has speed limit recognition and lane centering and it will pretty much drive itself as long as it has a car to follow, including stop-and-go traffic. It will speed up, maintain the speed limit, stop as other cars stop, and stay centered in the lane... then speed back up again as traffic starts moving.

I have to keep a hand on the wheel, but it does the rest. I really like it.

Rangeover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
The description you noted seems improperly written and describes more of what Lane Keep Assist does. The Bronco only has LKA and I have had minor success in re-programming it for Lane Centering which is miles better.

Lane Keep is reactive assist and does the ping-pong as you said.

Lane Centering is an active assist and is always working to keep the car centered.

The timeout for Lane Centering is about 12 seconds or so. There is an active monitor on the steering angle sensor to check to see if driver input is present or not.
i have a bronco with lane keeping and would love to have lane centering. How did you do?

ThickGatorade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
i have a bronco with lane keeping and would love to have lane centering. How did you do?
l never got as far as I wanted. Stop & go worked but I couldn’t get it to turn on. At the time we weren’t even developing the new Ranger yet so I didn’t have the software to compare. I’ve been busy with life so I haven’t circled back yet. I will eventually.
Sponsored