• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

SABER Ranger Club Thread

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Took mine to the Oregon dunes back in early August. The tires did ok in the soft sand, but you have to really air them down. I was running 15psi...would probably have done even better at 10. Terrain management is awesome, hooked up really well.
Sponsored

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Went to another part of the dunes today and used the terrain management for the sand. Tires still suck but i noticed the TM kept the truck in a lower gear so the revs stayed up which kept power going to the wheels even at lower speeds. And it didn't skip gears when shifting.

Would have been a great day for surfing. Took the dog with me so there is sand EVERYWHERE inside the truck.

Ford Ranger SABER Ranger Club Thread IMG_20190912_143715

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Went to another part of the dunes today and used the terrain management for the sand. Tires still suck but i noticed the TM kept the truck in a lower gear so the revs stayed up which kept power going to the wheels even at lower speeds. And it didn't skip gears when shifting.

Would have been a great day for surfing. Took the dog with me so there is sand EVERYWHERE inside the truck.

IMG_20190912_143715.jpg
Great pic!!!

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Good to know. I don't necessarily plan on doing much sand stuff anytime soon. But the one thing I am curious about is how the stock FX4 tires handle the snow and ice, which is coming all too soon. Depending on how they do in that, and based on your assessment, I may start looking for more capable tires. We'll see.

Thanks!
I don't have super high expectations, but who knows, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. Most reviews I've seen mention that the Hankook AT-Ms are severe snow service rated, but the ones that came on our new Ranger are not stamped with the 3-peak severe snow service symbol. After searching around a bit, I found the following disclaimer at tirerack.com:

"Note: While most Hankook Dynapro AT-M (RF10) tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements (and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol), selected tires do not. Specific tires/sizes not meeting the industry's severe snow service requirements are identified with a "Not Rated For Severe Snow" notation on Specs."​

I looked on tirerack's spec table but didn't see such a notation on the 265/65R17 size. Maybe the OEM version is built to reduced specs? It wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make, but my plan is to use these until they're worn out and replace them with higher quality tires. We live in a place where we usually need chains anyway a few times a year due to the steepness and ice, so I'm not too worried about it.

Last edited:

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
I don't have super high expectations, but who knows, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. Most reviews I've seen mention that the Hankook AT-Ms are severe snow service rated, but the ones that came on our new Ranger are not stamped with the 3-peak severe snow service symbol. After searching around a bit, I found the following disclaimer at tirerack.com:

"Note: While most Hankook Dynapro AT-M (RF10) tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements (and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol), selected tires do not. Specific tires/sizes not meeting the industry's severe snow service requirements are identified with a "Not Rated For Severe Snow" notation on Specs."​

I looked on tirerack's spec table but didn't see such a notation on the 265/65R17 size. Maybe the OEM version is built to reduced specs? It wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make, but my plan is to use these until they're worn out and replace them with higher quality tires. We live in a place where we usually need chains anyway a few times a year due to the steepness and ice, so I'm not too worried about it.
I'm sure these tires are fine for a DD and mild off road use but they are not AT tires and I can obviously feel the difference. I'm not trying to dis hankook, just trying to let people know the limitations of the tires so they don't end up stuck in the boonies. Lol

Sponsored

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
In my experience OEM tires are built to lesser specs and are CRAP. My Dad purchased a 2018 tundra and it only had 4 ply tires. 4 ply tires on a 1/2 ton pick up is just a cheap way out by Toyota. We blew a tire while hunting and the local tire shop had no 4 ply replacements because no 1/2 truck should have those tires.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I'm with you, probably use them until they've worn down sufficiently and then upgrade. Unless they really disappoint this winter. I had gotten used to not having to worry about winter driving with my Subaru, and it was very nice and relaxing almost. So I'd like to continue that non-worried feeling with this truck. We'll see how it goes.
Yeah, same here, I think they'll have to be pretty bad to ditch them right away. A new set of KO2s like on our old truck will get close to $1000 in this size. I'll need to wait a while for that. User reviews of the AT-M are decent enough, but those are for the after-market versions and we seem to have a cheaper, M+S rated OEM version. Time will tell. I notice you're in Duluth, our daughter is in UP Michigan (Houghton). She has an 4WD CR-V, but everyone there seems to put Blizzaks on in winter, so she does that for the extra safety margin even with 4WD. Some folks do that here, but with the steepness and ice we sometimes get, even those can cut loose at times.

Last edited:

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I'm sure these tires are fine for a DD and mild off road use but they are not AT tires and I can obviously feel the difference. I'm not trying to dis hankook, just trying to let people know the limitations of the tires so they don't end up stuck in the boonies. Lol
Agreed. User reviews of the Hankook are decent, but those are for the after-market versions. Time will tell for the OEM ones we have.

Sponsored

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Heading out on another weekend camping adventure with the whole rig last Friday. Very wet and windy on the drive up, so that was fun with the 2 big sails on the roof. Made it just fine though and had a wonderful weekend with plenty of fall colors around already!

Ford Ranger SABER Ranger Club Thread IMG_20190913_160508644_HDR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I've been looking at either some Falken Wildpeaks (which I know a handful of people on here have already) or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (my brother had those on his Ranger in college and swears by them and will probably get them for his next truck whenever he gets it). Either of those will put me back at least $800. But again, not going to do anything for a little bit, until these either wear out or I get fed up with them.

Crazy that you say that, because I grew up in the UP and actually went to college at Michigan Tech in Houghton! So I'm well acquainted with bad winter driving. haha One of the reasons I'm so invested in good tires and everything, because I know just how bad it can get and how much help they can be. Especially on a winters night trip across the UP.
Ha, small world, our daughter just started there last year. I helped her move there last summer in our old Ranger ('93, 260,000 mostly trouble-free miles -- this new one has big shoes to fill!). I was impressed how nice the whole area is -- UP, upper Wisconsin and Minnesota). She's actually living in Hancock - she wanted to be closer to the ski hill and be able to XC ski to school across the lake in the winter.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these Hankooks at least do okay for a few years, maybe helped out a little by the TM system. After that, there are a number of good choices :).

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
My brother actually had a '92 Ranger while he was there at college.

It really is a wonderful area. I've been very lucky to have grown up in there, and even more lucky to have found my dream adult job in the same kind of area! Definitely love it here! I lived in Hancock my last 2 years there as well. Wasn't to into downhill skiing, but it is nice the school has their own hill. Definitely did plenty of XC though, especially on those amazing trails up the hill. You get pretty spoiled going to a school like that in a place like that.
After we got there, my wife flew in and we spent about 5 days checking out the area. I remember seeing some of those other trails as well as large networks of MTB trails farther up the Keweenaw. We probably won't make it back there this summer or fall, but I can't wait to go back and spend more time.

We almost bought a '92, but by the time we were ready to do it, it was already widely known that the '93 was going to be a pretty big redesign, so we decided to wait it out. The basic styling of the '93 really only got minor facelifts all the way to 2012. It was pretty dated by then though, and the 5G really hits the mark, IMHO (especially in Saber, haha). I hope they don't ruin it in 2021/2022 by making it look like a Tacoma or something like that ;)

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Ford Ranger SABER Ranger Club Thread 20190920_094007
Florida City
Ford Ranger SABER Ranger Club Thread 20190920_125912
Somewhere along the Florida Keys:)
Ford Ranger SABER Ranger Club Thread 20190920_132735
Almost 12hrs in Ranger together & lived to tell. Plus, I drove the whole way. That's sayin' somethin':LOL::handsinair: