• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

So… Where’s the Ranger Hybrid?

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Not even a hint at a powerboost or plugin version. We know with the other work Ford is doing it’s only a matter of time before a Powerboost or PHEV is released but I was kind of hoping it would drop at the big launch yesterday. They did say they built the engine bay to be “futureproof” but still…
The NA market has some time before we see these but I’m terrible at being patient.
Sponsored

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
I think what they mentioned was purely world... we know we aren't getting a diesel and they mentioned three diesel and one petrol. I think we get the 2.3,2.7, and a hybrid, but will the hybrid be in the 1st run?

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Adventure Traveller
This is from Autocar in the UK »

"Ford has also confirmed that the new Ranger will be available with an electrified drivetrain, although it has offered no further details on specification or timeframe. The company will make its European commercial vehicle line-up zero-emissions-capable by 2024, so a plug-in hybrid is the most likely format for the Ranger, and various reports suggest it will be based around the 2.3-litre Ecoboost engine."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2022-ford-ranger-arrives-new-look-and-engine-options

Sponsored
OP
OP

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I think what they mentioned was purely world... we know we aren't getting a diesel and they mentioned three diesel and one petrol. I think we get the 2.3,2.7, and a hybrid, but will the hybrid be in the 1st run?
Right, and I understand that to some degree, but they could've thrown the NA crowd a bone with what was in store for us.
With the latest leak of timeline to showing arrivals for NA in May 2023, I don't know if I want to wait that long... But then again I guess I don't have a choice haha

I will be interested though to see what their Hybrid option will be, or maybe multiple options? I also am a little excited for the new Tacoma, I know that's taboo, but I can't say i'm not...

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
This is from Autocar in the UK »

"Ford has also confirmed that the new Ranger will be available with an electrified drivetrain, although it has offered no further details on specification or timeframe. The company will make its European commercial vehicle line-up zero-emissions-capable by 2024, so a plug-in hybrid is the most likely format for the Ranger, and various reports suggest it will be based around the 2.3-litre Ecoboost engine."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2022-ford-ranger-arrives-new-look-and-engine-options
I read that as well, which is why I was really hoping they would hint at something. 2024 is right around the corner.

I have a lighting reserved, but a good plugin or powerboost might make me hold off.
I am really hoping for a plug-in with the 2.3 would be enough for me.
I also though wouldn't mind a non-raptor version with the 2.7. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure the Raptor will be badass, but i don't "need" that kind of truck in Wisconsin... of course I don't really "need" a lot of stuff in my life haha

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Adventure Traveller
Ford is planning on producing this Ranger model for 8 years. So I'd expect they considered the electrification option. I don't think they anticipated the demand for electrification. I don't think anyone did. So we may still need to wait till late 2023 for a 2024 model-year PHEV Ranger.

OP
OP

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Ford is planning on producing this Ranger model for 8 years. So I'd expect they considered the electrification option. I don't think they anticipated the demand for electrification. I don't think anyone did. So we may still need to wait till late 2023 for a 2024 model-year PHEV Ranger.
I think about how much people LOVE their F150 Powerboosts. That's originally all i was asking for/wanted, but your other article hit the nail on the head about "high spending buyers". I worked my ass off when I got out of the Military and I can now splurge to retrofit my garage with 240V here in the States, and buy a brand new truck to park in there.
So if i can get better power, more fun, and slightly better MPGs, why the hell not.
I am not holding out for a Plug-in Hybrid with the 2.3. If they did a plug-in with a smaller engine or significantly less towing or capabilities, idk if i'd pull the trigger on it, but maybe.
I honestly wanted a Bronco Pickup, but that isn't happening...

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
The discussion I saw with the Chief Engineer (at the closed launch live stream), they stated that the major changes to the platform were to make it more modular, to suit the electrification in the future. It seems that a hybrid may happen, but pure electric is almost a certainty.

Sponsored

Office5280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
The reason there was no hybrid or plug-in is because the engineers can’t finalize it until the next set of EV incentives are finalized by Congress. Ford, et Al, won’t release a new plug in or hybrid until they know if they can make it competitive or if it will be possible to hit the incentive / subsidy mark.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
The reason there was no hybrid or plug-in is because the engineers can’t finalize it until the next set of EV incentives are finalized by Congress. Ford, et Al, won’t release a new plug in or hybrid until they know if they can make it competitive or if it will be possible to hit the incentive / subsidy mark.
Well that doesn't really apply to anywhere but the USA, and this launch was for everywhere but the USA.

Frosty 2019

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
I am thinking about the new 2023 hybrid. I do not travel much, no sense in spending over $75 for gas a month No worry about oil or fuel. And I can go faster..With my 2019 I can hit 60 mpg in 41/2 seconds and be at 100 in 7 seconds. Now with an electoral truck zoom
Sponsored