Sponsored

Tow/haul mode experience

OP
OP

RHIPDX

Member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Apr 1, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
18
Reaction score
9
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2021 and Ranger 2026
Occupation
retired
I don't have 4A on the '26 Lariat. 4WD is all manual.
Sponsored

 

Barry Johnson

Active Member
First Name
Barry
Joined
Aug 18, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
36
Reaction score
16
Location
98424
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Adj
I had the 2.3L before to haul my teardrop at about 4400lbs. I went all over the place with it - up into the Canadian Rockies, down into Colorado and around the Cascades. Basically, it managed, but was pretty sluggish climbing up into the mountains. Thats why I eventually upgraded to the 2.7L, for both HP and Torque. Bottom line, the 2.3L can do it, the 2.7L just manages it more easily. And if you aren't doing mountains, it matters less.
Yep, have the V6 and pull out LGM up and over Snoqualamie Pass in WA with no problem.
 

alrashid2

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 4, 2026
Threads
57
Messages
501
Reaction score
334
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT (2.7L V6)
Don't tow anything (yet) but I like Tow Mode when driving in the mountains. The engine braking is nice!

In my old Subaru, it had paddle shifters and was really smart about letting you quickly downshift but would then automatically return to automatically switching "gears" (CVT but you know what I mean). Unfortunately the Ranger isn't so smart. I've tried downshifting with the shifter buttons and it seems to take too long and then get stuck there too long.
 

Oreamnos

New Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Lariat
Our experiences are even more alike than you think. My runs were Portland road trip via Bend to LaPine via Detroit Lake, and Portland round trip to Timothy Lake via Gov't Camp. Same mountain roads (plus a couple of trips to the ocean via the Coast Range). My setup is very similar except for adding a bed cover and roof rack with kayaks. The Timothy Lake sun was the one with tow/haul mode. Bed cover definitely helps the consumption too.

26 Ranger+T@b.webp
Just returned this afternoon from a few days at Crater Lake. On this trip, I used normal mode for all of the US 97 driving, and only used tow/haul for the ups and downs inside the actual national park boundaries. Seemed to work very well that way, and my overall MPG was about 2 MPG better than my initial trip over the mountains all in tow/haul. Hard to draw any real conclusions from that.

The tow/haul is pretty aggressive with its downshifts, so I found myself often moving the shift lever into "manual" and selecting gears directly. I often didn't need as low of a gear as the truck's computers thought I did. I have no problem with it being aggressive, since that's what it's designed to do, and I know how to compensate to suit my tastes, when appropriate.

I have a Leer canopy on order, so that will likely have an MPG impact too. Might result in smoother air flow into the front of the T@b.
Sponsored

 
 







Top