Sponsored

Truxedo Pro X15 Initial Impressions

NextGenFX4

Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Recently purchased a Truxedo Pro X15 Soft Roll Up cover for my 2026 Ford Ranger FX4 from Real Truck. Received this weekend and installed. Thought I would post my impressions so far, especially since this is for a 2026 model year there wasn't many posts about soft roll up cover options.

Ordering & Shipping Process: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Was out of stock when I placed my order even though website said available. I can understand if lots of orders come in at once, so no big deal. After not hearing anything for 6 days, I called to see if there was an estimated ship date and was told no eta yet. While on the phone, I tried to switch to another cover(s) and was told they were all out of stock. Initiated a cancellation over the phone and was told it would take 3-5 business days to see the refund. Hung up and an hour later received an email stating my order has now shipped. Not sure where the communication lapse was, but glad it was on it's way.

Packaging: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Box was about 16" longer than the contents. Kinda weird, but otherwise the packaging was decent. No damage.

Installation: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Not really sure how long it took me but it was probably close to 2 hours due to having to make repeated small adjustments to line up precisely so the tailgate can close snug up against the side rails.

Looks: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Looks great.

Design and Quality: ⭐⭐ maybe ⭐⭐⭐ Cover fabric itself seems great and am happy with the cover fabric. Release latch and tension adjustments are great. Front seal I would rate very good. I think the design of the front seal could be improved by extending the front seal flap to overhang down over the bulkhead instead of laying flat on top of it. Rear tailgate seal: I would rate this very good also. Was concerned prior to purchasing about the rear tailgate seal and was told Real Truck recommends to close the tailgate first and then the cover. On my install, wasn't possible at all. Reason being is next issue: Side rail mounting bracket design: Even with mounting the side rails with the inside flange parallel with the bed cap as instructed, when you apply pressure to lock the cover closed in the rear, the pressure forces the end of the side rails down. This makes it pretty difficult to even try to close the tailgate first, because the downward pressure pushes the end of the siderails below the tailgate, so the cover won't engae in the locked position. In addition, during the first rain, which was only about 15 minutes, there was a decent amount of water that got in, not from the front nor real seals, not the 4 corners, but from the side rail/bed cap junction. from the under the bed caps, but from the seal between the bed cap and the side rails. The way the side rail mounting brackets are designed along with the only ~1/8" overlap onto the bed caps, is allowing water to get in. Simple fix would be to have the side rails extend 3/4" or 1" over the bed caps instead of 1/8". In addition, the installtion video on Real Truck website shows 'shims' for some application, to put between the bedcap and the side rails befre tigheteneing the clamps down. No shims were included with the parts for the 2026 Ranger, and I can see the shims 'helping' with the side rail water leakage because that would put upward pressure on the inside of the siderail/downward pressure ont he bed cap flange, which would make the seal tighter. Even without shims, I would think a mounting bracket with an angled brace to support the inside of the side rail would not allow them to angle slightly down with pressure.

I am deciding whether to keep the cover or return it and will probably wait one more rain before deciding. I like a lot about the cover, including somewhat made in USA, but not sure if the side rail design is worth paying $200+ more than other soft roll up covers. Open for any suggestions or thoughts:

Ford Ranger Truxedo Pro X15 Initial Impressions Screenshot 2026-10-05 092627


Ford Ranger Truxedo Pro X15 Initial Impressions Screenshot 2026-10-05 092618


Ford Ranger Truxedo Pro X15 Initial Impressions Screenshot 2026-10-05 092336


Ford Ranger Truxedo Pro X15 Initial Impressions Screenshot 2026-10-05 092242


Ford Ranger Truxedo Pro X15 Initial Impressions Screenshot 2026-10-05 121311
Sponsored

 

Loudpa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
234
Reaction score
197
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2026, Honda Odyssey, BMW E39
Nice write up. Hard to tell in the picture but is the clamp thats not very visible behind metal or just the rail cap plastic? In the picture it looks like its stretching out the plastic rail cap.

Ford Ranger Truxedo Pro X15 Initial Impressions clam
 
OP
OP

NextGenFX4

Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
The clamps that came with the cover are actually 'L' brackets and do not go up and behind the bed metal like most other clamps I've seen before. The plastic bed rail cap that looks like it is being stretched, is actually shaped like that, even before the bed cover install. It's the contour of the plastic cap, with a jog/turn, in towards the metal where the mounting holes are.
 

Loudpa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
234
Reaction score
197
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2026, Honda Odyssey, BMW E39
The clamps that came with the cover are actually 'L' brackets and do not go up and behind the bed metal like most other clamps I've seen before. The plastic bed rail cap that looks like it is being stretched, is actually shaped like that, even before the bed cover install. It's the contour of the plastic cap, with a jog/turn, in towards the metal where the mounting holes are.
Thanks, so you pop a plastic rivet out and bolt go through.
 
OP
OP

NextGenFX4

Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Yes, exactly. Remove the plastic factory 'rivets' (mine was a screw into a plastic push/insert plug type of rivet, not sure the exact name.
 

Sponsored

chasc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
123
Reaction score
141
Location
Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
I’ve had the X15 for about 2 years. Originally had it on my 2021 Ranger and re-purchased it for the 2024. Install process on the new Ranger was much better.

I’m not sure I follow what issue you’re having with closing, it doesn’t sound like something I’ve experienced. (See video) EDIT: I do find you need to close the tailgate before closing the cover, otherwise the tailgate bumps the rubber seal of the cover and bounces off.

I don’t keep anything in the bed that needs to stay bone dry so I don’t monitor it religiously, but anecdotally I haven’t seen much water ingress. Maybe after a month long trip with the camper I’ll see one drip path through the layer of dust to the tailgate, but never taken anything out that was damp.

 

chasc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
123
Reaction score
141
Location
Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
It just occurred to me that yours is a 2026 Ranger so it presumably has the updated, thinner, bed rail caps compared to my 2024. So there may be differences there that make my experiences not comparable.
 

Se7en

New Member
First Name
David
Joined
Sep 24, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Location
Knoxville, TN
Vehicle(s)
2026 Raptor
I have the same cover. Installed mine about 2 weeks ago on a '26 Raptor. I think it's solid.

2 hour install sounds about right. I didn't have any of your issues with getting it aligned at the tailgate, though. Mine was with wrinkles! Once I figured out that I could release the tension and adjust the top to align better and flatten out the wrinkles, it was golden. LOVE the material as its like a fabric top from a convertible. A+
 

hand-filer

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 16, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
703
Reaction score
1,143
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX4
I've had mine since Sept '24 and it still looks like new. Installation was straightforward.
I'll never go back to a sectional cover.
 

Sponsored
OP
OP

NextGenFX4

Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
It just occurred to me that yours is a 2026 Ranger so it presumably has the updated, thinner, bed rail caps compared to my 2024. So there may be differences there that make my experiences not comparable.
I will take a similar angle pic tomorrow in daylight. There have been changes. I think the side overlap of the rail onto the bed is narrower than in your video, but I will check. Also the rear tailgate seal has been changed from your version. It no longer extends back, and now leans down and in. But the tailgate seal seems fine. I really like most of cover. Not sure why there isn't more than 1/8" overlap on the bed caps though tbh.
 
OP
OP

NextGenFX4

Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I have the same cover. Installed mine about 2 weeks ago on a '26 Raptor. I think it's solid.

2 hour install sounds about right. I didn't have any of your issues with getting it aligned at the tailgate, though. Mine was with wrinkles! Once I figured out that I could release the tension and adjust the top to align better and flatten out the wrinkles, it was golden. LOVE the material as its like a fabric top from a convertible. A+
I will see if I can adjust my side rail brackets tomorrow to get a better seal. Not looking for 100% waterproof, just thought the overlap on the siderails could have been wider.
 
OP
OP

NextGenFX4

Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Had 2nd rain yesterday/overnight. Not heavy rain, but very slow and steady for hours. Started retrun process 3 hours ago this morning. Will update on how that goes also.

Sponsored

 
 







Top