• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

V6 (Diesel and Petrol) 4wd system

CrustyNoodle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 BMW 135i, '19 Rangie Sport, '23 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Doing some research into how the 4wd system works in the next-gen Rangers with the permanent all wheel drive transmission I came across this article on Blue Oval Trucks that does a good job of explaining things.

So looks like the answer is that the transmission uses a centre clutch which is able to vary the lock-up when in 4A and likely locks totally when in 4H/4L. The Land Rover New Defender (from MY2021 onwards) seems to use a similar system - discarding the centre diff and replacing with the clutch.

Ford Ranger V6 (Diesel and Petrol) 4wd system Screenshot 2022-10-19 172435
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Doing some research into how the 4wd system works in the next-gen Rangers with the permanent all wheel drive transmission I came across this article on Blue Oval Trucks that does a good job of explaining things.

So looks like the answer is that the transmission uses a centre clutch which is able to vary the lock-up when in 4A and likely locks totally when in 4H/4L. The Land Rover New Defender (from MY2021 onwards) seems to use a similar system - discarding the centre diff and replacing with the clutch.
G'day Peter,

Yes this is how the AWD works, the front axle can be engaged either by a multi disc clutch having pressure applied to it, or through a traditional dog clutch (this is 4H and 4L). The previous Everest used this too, without the dog clutch.

OP
OP
CrustyNoodle

CrustyNoodle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 BMW 135i, '19 Rangie Sport, '23 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thanks Bill, really appreciate that.

I don't know why I couldn't find that video when I was looking for the information.

I think It would be really great if we could use low-range with the clutch and then only engage the dog when absolutely needed. This is the type of behaviour we get on modern Land Rovers and it works a treat when up in the high country where you want low range but many of the roads are quite hard-packed so you prefer to not have the front and rear tightly locked together.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I think It would be really great if we could use low-range with the clutch and then only engage the dog when absolutely needed. This is the type of behaviour we get on modern Land Rovers and it works a treat when up in the high country where you want low range but many of the roads are quite hard-packed so you prefer to not have the front and rear tightly locked together.
I totally agree, low range AWD would be perfect. The G-Wagon also allows this, and it's fantastic.
Sponsored