• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2024 Chevy Colorado ZR2

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Seems Chevy NA will follow the Turbo 4 Cylinder engine and 10 speed auto trend.
Like the rest of the 31XX-2 truck family, the 2024 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 will be powered by the 2.7L turbo four engine currently found in the larger Silverado and Sierra 1500 trucks. It will be the only engine available, with a 10-speed automatic being the only transmission available.
In the full-sized Sierra and Silverado, the 2.7L L3B engine pushes out 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque. If these same numbers are applied to the next-generation Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, they would out-muscle the Ford Ranger and its 2.3L EcoBoost engine by 40 horsepower, and 38 lb-ft of torque.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm looking forward to seeing the next gen. Really happy that GMC will have a ZR2 equivalent with the AT4X. GMC's always look better than Chevy's IMO. At the time I bought my Ranger, I would have bought a GMC ZR2 instead, if they had one.
2023/24 is going to be a good year with GM, Ford, and Toyota all bringing out new trucks.
...the 2.7L L3B engine pushes out 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque. If these same numbers are applied to the next-generation Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, they would out-muscle the Ford Ranger and its 2.3L EcoBoost engine by 40 horsepower, and 38 lb-ft of torque.
But the next gen Ranger will be back on top with the 2.7L. :like:

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
The redesigned Colorado is thought to be using an updated version of the current model's 31XX platform, though we can see that the dimensions will be slightly larger this time around. The prototype is for a crew cab with a short bed configuration, but single cab and long bed options should also feature in the redesigned Colorado lineup.

Clear giveaways that we're looking at an off-road-focused variant include the high ground clearance and Goodyear Wrangler MT tires. It's hard to spot but it appears the prototype is running 33-inch tires versus the 31-inch set on the current Colorado ZR2. It also looks like the tires are a wider 285/70 set versus the current 265/65 set. In both cases the wheels measure 17 inches in diameter.

It makes sense that Chevy is sticking with the current platform instead of investing in a new one, as future generations of the Colorado will likely need to migrate to a battery-electric platform. By sticking with the current platform, a hybrid option may also be offered with the new generation.

Picture of front suspension.

Attachments

Reactions: Doc

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I thought the Colorado looked big.

Is the 2023 Chevy Colorado Actually Bigger Than the Toyota Tacoma?

According to Motor Trend, the Chevy Colorado features a length of 213.2 inches, which is a full foot shorter than the Toyota Tacoma’s maximum length of 225.5 inches. However, the Colorado is much wider at 84.4 inches wide, compared to the Tacoma’s 75.2-inch width. The Chevy Colorado sits much higher than the Tacoma as well, at 81.9 inches tall, compared to the Tacoma’s 71.6-inch height. The Colorado has a shorter wheelbase than the Tacoma, too, at 131.4 inches, compared to the Tacoma’s 140.6-inch wheelbase.

Is the 2023 Chevy Colorado Actually Bigger Than the Toyota Tacoma? (msn.com)

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Agreed, completely different vehicles that offer different styles and capabilities. Quite a difference in cost too.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I actually really like the exterior styling of the Colorado. I wish Ford would give us some more info on the Rangers US release options, etc. For me, it's down to these 2, as I really need to replace the Jeep with a P/U, but I've been holding off to see what they do with the Ranger as far as options and time frame.

Reactions: Doc

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I am a Ford guy but, if you want a mid size Truck delivered faster then the Ranger I would go with the Chevy into 2023. We will still have supply chain issues going into the future with all automobile manufactures. The article talks about only offering the 2.7L in the dedicated small truck factory. Not complicating the assembly process.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I am a Ford guy but, if you want a mid size Truck delivered faster then the Ranger I would go with the Chevy into 2023. We will still have supply chain issues going into the future with all automobile manufactures. The article talks about only offering the 2.7L in the dedicated small truck factory. Not complicating the assembly process.

Yeah I'm a ford guy as well. only 2 non fords in my almost 40 years of driving, a 99 Durango, and my 18 Jeep. I seriously considered ordering a Maverick way back when, but thought it might be too small/low for me. I've grown accustomed to sitting up higher in the Jeep after moving from my Mustang to the Jeep.

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Escape SE, 23 Colorado LT
I was on the Maverick bandwagon but after much back and forth consideration, it really is just too small for me personally. As stated by another poster, it just sits too low for my liking and the bed size is just not large enough. I currently have a 2019 F-150 that is just too big for my needs, though I love the truck. The Ranger should fit that "Goldilock's Zone." ALL manufacturers are having supply chain issues so I would not count on any of them getting to you quicker on a retail order.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
2023 GMC Canyon pricing
Trim LevelDrivetrainPowertrain2023 MSRP + DFC
Elevation2WDTurbo High-Output 2.7L I4 L3B$38,095
Elevation4WDTurbo High-Output 2.7L I4 L3B$41,395
AT44WDTurbo High-Output 2.7L I4 L3B$45,395
Denali4WDTurbo High-Output 2.7L I4 L3B$52,495
AT4X4WDTurbo High-Output 2.7L I4 L3B$56,995
AT4X Edition 14WDTurbo High-Output 2.7L I4 L3B$66,290

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Saw a new Colorado Trail Boss today with dealer plates. Must admit, it looked pretty damn good.
Sponsored