Sponsored

A/C running all the time

CobraboyHB

Active Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
26
Reaction score
28
Location
Southern California
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat 2WD, 2.3
Occupation
retired with a home hobby, casting hard to find parts for muscle cars and vintage old toys, etc.
Weird things happening with my A/C. For one thing, the A/C turns on by itself whenever I turn off the Max Defrost after using that. The A/C button light is on, and so I have to turn it off. The second weird thing is the A/C randomly starts pumping out cold air even when the A/C button is not lit up. I thought it was me so I checked the temp with my digital gun and shows 54 degrees, and outside air is 74. Anyone else have these issues? Yes, still in warranty and I will be talking to Ford but wont be able to get there this week. OK thanks for any input.
Sponsored

 

natkill

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
80
Reaction score
89
Location
OK
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Lariat 2.7L FX4, Marsh Gray
The defrost setting turns on the AC so you get drier air. This is also more effective for removing/preventing fog on the glass while it runs.

What temperature do you have your air set to when it blows cold? The system is set to cool to a certain temperature, and as it reaches the desired temp, the air will be less cool. If it's 75 out and you have it set to 70, it's likely going to blow cold air until it gets close to 70 in the cabin.
 

surfstar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
95
Reaction score
150
Location
CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Lariat 2.3 FX4
Humidity sensor inside the cab. It will turn on the AC compressor to prevent window fogging. Annoys the f outta me (because when I want AC, I'll turn it on), but luckily with FORScan you can disable the sensor (basically tell the computer it isn't there).
 
Last edited:

Jason B

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Apr 27, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,504
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
machinist
AC compressor will always run, even in the dead of winter with full heat.
It's for humidity and condensation. It's been this way in most cars for years.
 
OP
OP
CobraboyHB

CobraboyHB

Active Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
26
Reaction score
28
Location
Southern California
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat 2WD, 2.3
Occupation
retired with a home hobby, casting hard to find parts for muscle cars and vintage old toys, etc.
Humidity sensor inside the cab. It will turn on the AC compressor to prevent window fogging. Annoys the f outta me (because when I want AC, I'll turn it on), but luckily with FORScan you can disable the sensor (basically tell the computer it isn't there).
Thanks for the info, never even dawned on me that is was another unwanted action. Yes, if I dont want A/C then I dont want A/C/ !!
 

Sponsored
OP
OP
CobraboyHB

CobraboyHB

Active Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
26
Reaction score
28
Location
Southern California
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat 2WD, 2.3
Occupation
retired with a home hobby, casting hard to find parts for muscle cars and vintage old toys, etc.
The defrost setting turns on the AC so you get drier air. This is also more effective for removing/preventing fog on the glass while it runs.

What temperature do you have your air set to when it blows cold? The system is set to cool to a certain temperature, and as it reaches the desired temp, the air will be less cool. If it's 75 out and you have it set to 70, it's likely going to blow cold air until it gets close to 70 in the cabin.
Thanks for all the replies, I get it now. Ford, good stuff but sometimes I think just too much tech.
 
OP
OP
CobraboyHB

CobraboyHB

Active Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
26
Reaction score
28
Location
Southern California
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat 2WD, 2.3
Occupation
retired with a home hobby, casting hard to find parts for muscle cars and vintage old toys, etc.
AC compressor will always run, even in the dead of winter with full heat.
It's for humidity and condensation. It's been this way in most cars for years.
Gotta see if my wife's 2025 RAV4 PHEV does that trick. My 2015 Corvette did not, but that car already old in the tooth.
 

OxygenMask

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Feb 20, 2026
Threads
10
Messages
883
Reaction score
1,680
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I don't think that's such a bad feature. We've all seen those idiots driving around with fogged up windows because they don't even realize their hvac selections are wrong. Sometimes even have water droplets running down glass inside... Nevertheless I would prefer to have personal control.

An annoying thing for me is the truck deciding to turn on recirc when I start it on a warm day.
Contrary to popular opinion, recirculating the 140 degree interior air will not cool it down faster than bringing in 90 degree outside air and flushing out the superheated inside air.
 

Sponsored
OP
OP
CobraboyHB

CobraboyHB

Active Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
26
Reaction score
28
Location
Southern California
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat 2WD, 2.3
Occupation
retired with a home hobby, casting hard to find parts for muscle cars and vintage old toys, etc.
Yeah I get it. Idiots are easy to come by on the road. I guess it's a safeguard, like saying "dont drink the contents of the battery" LOL
 

surfstar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
95
Reaction score
150
Location
CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Lariat 2.3 FX4
I don't think that's such a bad feature. We've all seen those idiots driving around with fogged up windows because they don't even realize their hvac selections are wrong. Sometimes even have water droplets running down glass inside... Nevertheless I would prefer to have personal control.

An annoying thing for me is the truck deciding to turn on recirc when I start it on a warm day.
Contrary to popular opinion, recirculating the 140 degree interior air will not cool it down faster than bringing in 90 degree outside air and flushing out the superheated inside air.
Agreed the compressor should run during defog settings, but for normal air flow, I want that control. Would be nice to have that as an option in the menus. 95% of drivers don't care / won't even know.
 

dljs1941

Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Apr 2, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
13
Reaction score
8
Location
01001
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Agree with Jason B's response. A/C with run with dehumidify on in every "newer" vehicle that I've owned. 2012 Silverado, 2013 Equinox, 2016 GMC Sierra, 2020 BMW X3, 2016 Equinox to name a few. Although it did not occur in my 1972 Chevy Camero (didn't have A/C... :>)).
 

cyterio

Member
First Name
Josh
Joined
May 25, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
22
Reaction score
18
Location
Deerfield,NY
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Occupation
Management
I’ve found that turning off the AUTO feature on the hvac has helped tremendously with balancing the temp in the cabin. You can still set it to your preferred temp (72°) and it will maintain that temp without the excessive swings between hot and cold air coming out of the vents.
Sponsored

 
 







Top