• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Any thoughts on the Diamondback Switchback tonneau?

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
They nice and secure and expensive and not easy to remove if you need the whole bed.

OP
OP

KevR

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor in AGM
They nice and secure and expensive and not easy to remove if you need the whole bed.
From what I read on the Switchback model it was easy to remove. Not nearly as heavy as the HD or SE.

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
From what I read on the Switchback model it was easy to remove. Not nearly as heavy as the HD or SE.
Still heavier than normal covers and probably going to need the J braces.

Greglon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 F150 FX2; ‘18 Expy Max; ‘24 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Workforce Director
I like the Diamondback (smooth) cover. My first choice is the Embark LS retractable, but if my keyboard case won’t fit under the box, the Switchback will work just fine.

Sponsored

dragon44

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor Scab, 2024 Ranger Raptor
Still heavier than normal covers and probably going to need the J braces.
I'm getting an SE for my Ranger Raptor. it weighs 90lbs. I don't understand why that relatively small addition of weight would require J braces - how is this different from just driving around w/ a small amount of cargo in the bed?

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
I'm getting an SE for my Ranger Raptor. it weighs 90lbs. I don't understand why that relatively small addition of weight would require J braces - how is this different from just driving around w/ a small amount of cargo in the bed?
Bed isn't the problem. They skimped out on making the side of the box heavy duty so you need these J braces to make it stronger. It what sits on top is the problem. You probably will be OK as the 90lbs is distributed all over the box but I wouldn't put too much weight on top of it.

dragon44

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bed isn't the problem. They skimped out on making the side of the box heavy duty so you need these J braces to make it stronger. It what sits on top is the problem. You probably will be OK as the 90lbs is distributed all over the box but I wouldn't put too much weight on top of it.
oh that makes sense - thanks.

452Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Miata, Volvo
Occupation
Retired
Are you talking about the Undercover SE single piece tonneau cover? I am interested in this cover as I had one on my F150. The RealTruck site, however, does not show that this cover fits a 2024 Ranger. I think the 2024 bed is just about one inch shorter than the earlier Rangers and I would think it would fit. My 2024 Lariat should arrive in May, so I can't really measure until it arrives.

Sponsored

dragon44

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m t
Are you talking about the Undercover SE single piece tonneau cover? I am interested in this cover as I had one on my F150. The RealTruck site, however, does not show that this cover fits a 2024 Ranger. I think the 2024 bed is just about one inch shorter than the earlier Rangers and I would think it would fit. My 2024 Lariat should arrive in May, so I can't really measure until it arrives.
I’m talking about this one…

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackse?variant=30021646537

atimberwolf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor Gen 1; Ranger Raptor
I have the Diamond Back HD on my Gen 1 Raptor. It only takes a few minutes to remove the entire cover. The panels are relatively heavy but manageable. I believe the largest of the 3 is about 70 lbs if I remember correctly.

As with with most covers if you remove all the panels it takes a few extra minutes to install since you'll want to square it all up. If you leave the center piece and just remove one of the two large panels you can do that in about 2 minutes.

It's about 8 years old now and still looks brand new. I intend to add a Diamond Back to the new Ranger I purchased yesterday. Prior to switching to DB, I ran BAK flips on all my trucks. The DBs cost more, but have held up to everything far better.

atimberwolf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor Gen 1; Ranger Raptor
Just saw on their site the HD max panel weight is 50 pounds, not 70 like I thought. Either way it's a one man job.

dragon44

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone is curious, per my correspondence with Diamondback, the SE will be available “sometime next month”. Will post as I get more detail.
Sponsored