• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Diesel option?

Micky

First Name
Micky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Fixer
Does anyone else think there is a chance Ford will surprise us with a diesel option?

1. The 3.0l has already passed the EPA. This takes time and money, so with not many sold in the F150 they will want to try and recoup costs.
2. The engine gets really good mileage which would help with CAFE standards for the brand.
3. The engine was pulled a year ago from the F150 in preparation for the new Ranger release.
4. The engine is used over most of the other parts of the world so they know it works, they have everything needed to use the engine already designed.
5. The engine could help with hype or excitement about the new release.

The biggest con I can come up with is if Ford thinks it might threaten F150 sales. Since there were not many sold in the F150 they might not see it that way.

Thoughts?
Micky
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Does anyone else think there is a chance Ford will surprise us with a diesel option?

1. The 3.0l has already passed the EPA. This takes time and money, so with not many sold in the F150 they will want to try and recoup costs.
2. The engine gets really good mileage which would help with CAFE standards for the brand.
3. The engine was pulled a year ago from the F150 in preparation for the new Ranger release.
4. The engine is used over most of the other parts of the world so they know it works, they have everything needed to use the engine already designed.
5. The engine could help with hype or excitement about the new release.

The biggest con I can come up with is if Ford thinks it might threaten F150 sales. Since there were not many sold in the F150 they might not see it that way.

Thoughts?
Micky
I think there is little to no chance of a diesel option in the North American Ranger. The diesel was dropped in the F-150 because of low sales and the F-150 hybrid was deemed better all around. Likewise, the Ranger will have a PHEV option which will be more attractive than a diesel option.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Honestly, there's more chance of Australia getting a petrol engine in the non Raptor variants than the US getting any of the diesels.

theek

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda
Occupation
Engineer
Diesel isn't happening, Diesel is or soon will be dead in California NY and Quebec for private vehicles. HEV performance hybrid is, like in the F-150, which uses it also as a 7.2KW generator. It will add 40-80HP and a lot of torque to the base engine, and the generator option will be great for jobsites and campsites. If it's a plug-in, all the better, it means not using gas to get groceries in town and charging with a 15-20 amp plug.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gen 6 Ranger WildTrak
Occupation
I could tell you, but then I’d have to…
Honestly, there's more chance of Australia getting a petrol engine in the non Raptor variants than the US getting any of the diesels.
It's a shame too... I absolutely love the diesel in mine. Runs well... great mileage... great torque. I'd buy one in the States when I get back in second... especially with the towing capacity. I don't need a full size truck other than to get the towing capacity to pull my boat. My WildTrak here would be perfect for that... if only I could take it with me when I go!!!
Sponsored