• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

North America and Diesel Engines

fordtrks4ever

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Retired
VW also bought back the the diesel vehicles from the customers.
Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
nice dodge and redirect. Back on topic, how about comparing a mid size North America Ranger standard 2.3 against a ROW smallest diesel offered? The whole point of exploiting/promoting the turbo motors is getting comparable towing and load capacities vs. alternatives available at the time. Speaking of which, new GM twins went exclusively to 4 cyl gas turbos now and dropped diesel option. Maybe they know something you don't?
FYI, the GM twins stopped offering the diesel because they stopped being sold in Australia and Asia. The Asian market had that Colorado diesel far earlier than North America did.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
also, more expensive to own and operate as daily drivers in real world conditions as I detailed a few factors in earlier post. Gotta wonder why CA started phasing out diesel trucks several years ago already...

Remember, as CA goes, so goes the rest of the country and they are leading the charge against ALL ICE propulsion methods and fuels. Coming to a theater near you :crazy:
Yep and thatā€™s scary. Letā€™s go shopping in San Fran itā€™s a great place or LA where the police,donā€™t even respond to burglaries
I feel so much better following California thatā€™s awesome šŸ¤ØšŸ¤ØšŸ¤ØšŸ¤ØšŸ˜œšŸ˜œšŸ˜œšŸ˜œšŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
also, more expensive to own and operate as daily drivers in real world conditions as I detailed a few factors in earlier post.
I'm calling B.S. on this. I currently own my 2nd diesel car. My gas is cheaper than unleaded and I'm getting close to 700 miles on a single tank. Oil changes are about the same as a standard car but you only have to change the oil every 1 year or 10k miles. The cost of ownership has been way cheaper.

I'm at about 5 years of ownership now and I'd recommend people buy diesel over electric any day for a commuter.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
I'm calling B.S. on this. I currently own my 2nd diesel car. My gas is cheaper than unleaded and I'm getting close to 700 miles on a single tank. Oil changes are about the same as a standard car but you only have to change the oil every 1 year or 10k miles. The cost of ownership has been way cheaper.

I'm at about 5 years of ownership now and I'd recommend people buy diesel over electric any day for a commuter.
What diesel passenger cars are even available? Are there any that arenā€™t boring, expensive, and slow? Diesel sounds great in theory until you end up having to drive a Volkswagen or base model 3 series.

Sponsored

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What diesel passenger cars are even available? Are there any that arenā€™t boring, expensive, and slow? Diesel sounds great in theory until you end up having to drive a Volkswagen or base model 3 series.
You're right, there are no diesels available to buy anymore. This was the point of the entire thread.

As far as commuters, the answer to that is they are all boring. I've driven Teslas and while they can accelerate extremely fast, they still manage to be boring to drive. It's like driving a toaster or other home appliance. VW TDIs are great cars but yes, they are also boring.

I wish diesel was adopted more by Americans so we'd have better/more fun options to choose from. BMW had a cool diesel wagon for awhile but I don't think they sell it anymore.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired

I'll see your BS and raise you 2 more BS's. You must not get out of your neighborhood driving very often in your 700 miles per tank clunker. I recently did a 10-day road trip June 1-10 starting in CO, through Utah, into NV and finally Klamath Falls, OR and back. There was not 1 single station along our way advertising Diesel less than regular unleaded. Maybe you are like my wife and think the Green prices are regular and Red are Diesel? I live in rural ag country and diesel is never cheaper here since we 1st bought our house in 2010 through relocating permanently in 2017. We made dozens of trips between SoCal and here in CO and diesel was higher at least 90% of the time. Prices are manipulated constantly to snare truckers depending on it and whenever the media starts to run stories on advantages of diesel over gas vehicles mileage wise to lift sales.

I've known many friends who have had diesel trucks over the years and they always complained about how much more expensive basic maintenance is with higher oil changes, extra moisture separator filters frequently needing to be replaced and adding DEF with basically each fill up. Don't know where you are getting your maintenance schedule from but nobody I know goes 10K between changes, especially in "extreme conditions" which are closer to the norm in trucks used like trucks.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll see your BS and raise you 2 more BS's. You must not get out of your neighborhood driving very often in your 700 miles per tank clunker. I recently did a 10-day road trip June 1-10 starting in CO, through Utah, into NV and finally Klamath Falls, OR and back. There was not 1 single station along our way advertising Diesel less than regular unleaded. Maybe you are like my wife and think the Green prices are regular and Red are Diesel? I live in rural ag country and diesel is never cheaper here since we 1st bought our house in 2010 through relocating permanently in 2017. We made dozens of trips between SoCal and here in CO and diesel was higher at least 90% of the time. Prices are manipulated constantly to snare truckers depending on it and whenever the media starts to run stories on advantages of diesel over gas vehicles mileage wise to lift sales.

I've known many friends who have had diesel trucks over the years and they always complained about how much more expensive basic maintenance is with higher oil changes, extra moisture separator filters frequently needing to be replaced and adding DEF with basically each fill up. Don't know where you are getting your maintenance schedule from but nobody I know goes 10K between changes, especially in "extreme conditions" which are closer to the norm in trucks used like trucks.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Fuel prices change all the time. There was a time last year when diesel cost more than premium unleaded. The last few times I've filled up, it was less than regular unleaded.

DEF with every fill up? Who is telling you this? Are you getting your info from semi truck drivers? That's a far cry from household diesels. I've had to fill it once in 15k miles and it cost $30 to fill it. I'm telling you first person as someone who actually drives a diesel every day that you're full of it.

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
I drove a 2015 VW Golf for a few years and my wife had a 2015 Passat and both needed to be topped off with DEF at roughly 8000 miles. I bought the Golf after Dieselgate, so it had had VW's fix, which in the 2015 models was just making the car use more DEF. Apparently the only cheat that the 2015 model VW's had involved DEF. VW wanted to make sure that the DEF would last through its 10,000 mile oil change intervals, so they dialed back the DEF usage to make it work. I guess they wanted to make that part of diesel ownership invisible to a lot of their customers. In the Passat, you had to open a panel in the truck to top it off, so maybe that was part of it.
Ford Ranger North America and Diesel Engines IMG_8149.JPG
It just sucks because if the 2015 diesels had been compliant, I think they may have been able to continue selling them.

If the BiTurbo was an option here, I'd more than likely choose it.

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Yep and thatā€™s scary. Letā€™s go shopping in San Fran itā€™s a great place or LA where the police,donā€™t even respond to burglaries
I feel so much better following California thatā€™s awesome šŸ¤ØšŸ¤ØšŸ¤ØšŸ¤ØšŸ˜œšŸ˜œšŸ˜œšŸ˜œšŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³
how do those 2 subjects even relate to one another?

Edit: York Pennsylvania your city has a population of 45K (rounded up), San Francisco has a population of 800k (rounded down). Hell my city has a population of 680k (rounded up). What markets do you think any business is going to market to?

Last edited:

Sponsored

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Us small town, backwards folks will never understand I reckon šŸ˜‰

Ranger Nick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
Occupation
Lawyer
Why doesnā€™t North America use more diesel engines? (Iā€™ve never been to Mexico, so Iā€™m not sure if they do. Iā€™m mainly speaking about US and Canada).

The global platform Ranger exclusively uses diesel motors in Australia, UK, Thailand, The Philippines, etc.

I could be wrong and maybe I am but is North America shying away from diesel because itā€™s trying to be ā€œcleanerā€ by using gasoline? Most of the countries in the world use diesel. So whatā€™s the point of us trying to be ā€œcleanerā€? Thatā€™s an awful lot of other countries with diesel vehicles on the road.

Also, if Ford or other manufacturers for that matter used the same engines globally I would imagine prices would be cheaper for the initial vehicle cost, as well as parts for future maintenance.

Again, I could be wrong but just wanted to voice my thoughts/confusion on the lack of diesel vehicles here.
Itā€™s due to the EV market, the big brands were ā€œencouragedā€ to kill off diesels because they compete too much and are superior to EVs. That is from the horseā€™s mouth. They cost way less and with a green diesel tune kit, my mini Duro 4X4 is now kicking out 32 City and 40 Hwy, loaded.
Sponsored