• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I would really like something similar to the f150 power-boost. You get the best of both without much of a draw back.
This would be enticing to me. I’m not one for a full electric at all, but seeing economy numbers that hybrids can return that seems to be a compelling option.
Sponsored

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
This is definitely a PHEV vs all electric as some are reporting. Best of Both worlds doesn’t mean all electric.
if there is a glimmer of hope this is a late 2025 model year option, that will make me change my deposit from the Tacoma Hybrid Max to the Ranger PHEV.
i mean, if/when it comes to the NA market. If we’re talking 2-3 model years away… i’ll be a Toyota fan boy by then, as much as it pains me to say that

Zackattack2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gmc canyon
Occupation
Tech
I don’t trust phev, studies show the most reliable is gas, then hybrid, then plug in hybrid.

more things to go wrong. And with fords record these days…I’d wait at least a few years for a ranger hybrid to work out the problems.

my gmc canyon transmission has been a real nightmare.Gotta give them time to fix things

Deleted member 6764

I don’t trust phev, studies show the most reliable is gas, then hybrid, then plug in hybrid.

more things to go wrong. And with fords record these days…I’d wait at least a few years for a ranger hybrid to work out the problems.

my gmc canyon transmission has been a real nightmare.Gotta give them time to fix things
I would like to see which studies you are referring to.

Stretch

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 FX4, 2022 Escape PHEV, 2024 Ranger?
Free solar? I paid for the system up front so I'm still paying to charge the battery even though It's not coming out of my pocket directly. Even so, I'd buy an electric truck - we just need more chargers everywhere, besides the home so long trips are worry free.
Well, that's why I say 'nearly' free. No such thing as free solar :) A good amount of my power still comes from the grid. On a sunny day here in central Texas (and we have plenty of them) I'm making more power on the panels than I use most times. I don't have batteries on my system so the battery of the Escape kinda fills that gap in terms of reduced gas. As for chargers, they will come, but until then, that's why I like the PHEV. 90% or more of the miles on my cars are local town drives and the small battery takes care of that. Need to drive far, still got a gas engine. Feeling aggressive? Turn them both on ;). But of course I wouldn't buy a PHEV thinking its an undercover sports car.

Sponsored

Stave7

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge, 2022 Ford Maverick
Occupation
Ford Motor Company Electrician
I had a hybrid Maverick. Considering the issues I had and the monthly service trips to the dealership, they can keep their hybrid crap.

Mikknj

First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT Cactus Grey
Well, that's why I say 'nearly' free. No such thing as free solar :) A good amount of my power still comes from the grid. On a sunny day here in central Texas (and we have plenty of them) I'm making more power on the panels than I use most times. I don't have batteries on my system so the battery of the Escape kinda fills that gap in terms of reduced gas. As for chargers, they will come, but until then, that's why I like the PHEV. 90% or more of the miles on my cars are local town drives and the small battery takes care of that. Need to drive far, still got a gas engine. Feeling aggressive? Turn them both on ;). But of course I wouldn't buy a PHEV thinking its an undercover sports car.
I agree. This is a really slick idea. I thought to do the same. There aren't many choices right now for plug in trucks. But they are coming.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
There is an aspect of hybrid and electric vehicles no one wants to address, and that is the RFI they emit. The harmonics generated by the electronics, virtually make listening to AM radio difficult (even FM in some instances). I suspect this was part of the recent drive to eliminate AM radios in vehicles.

The FCC sets the level of RFI for all devices under Part 15 of the rules and regulations. If you read Part 15, you'll notice transportation devices (cars, trucks, trains, etc.) are exempt from the rules, albeit they're supposed to do their best to meet the emission standards. They haven't met them, and if they do, prices will increase as well.

This issue may not affect most of the populous, but it sure affects amateur radio enthusiasts.

Deleted member 6764

There is an aspect of hybrid and electric vehicles no one wants to address, and that is the RFI they emit. The harmonics generated by the electronics, virtually make listening to AM radio difficult (even FM in some instances). I suspect this was part of the recent drive to eliminate AM radios in vehicles.

The FCC sets the level of RFI for all devices under Part 15 of the rules and regulations. If you read Part 15, you'll notice transportation devices (cars, trucks, trains, etc.) are exempt from the rules, albeit they're supposed to do their best to meet the emission standards. They haven't met them, and if they do, prices will increase as well.

This issue may not affect most of the populous, but it sure affects amateur radio enthusiasts.
Alternators, up until even the 80s/90s were horrendous with EMC issues. This was addressed on both sides, better/cleaner alternator design (and now truly smart alternators, not just clutched), and significantly better filtering on components. Both for conducted and radiated.

The EMC specs automotive use, in my experience, are substantial and improved dramatically in the early 90s/00s. The prevalence of switch mode power supplies also influenced this, drawing less power but needing to filter more. Back EMF is an issue with these, and worse so with motors.

More progress will be needed for electric motors, but almost every innovation has an oscillation period of working out those side effects.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
Personally I dislike it when hybrids are talked about as if they are electric (even though they technically sort of are), but it looks like they will be doing a reveal of the hybrid on the 19th?

Tweeted by Ford Australia, UK and Ireland, suggesting it will be RHD-market first.

electric-ford-ranger-teaser.png

electric-ford-ranger-teaser2.png
I will go for a Ranger PHEV if the ICE engine is the current 2.3 Liters or more so that it would be giving us more power, not less. I would also be very interested in a fully electric version, again, if it is a step up in power (along with all the other advantages).

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) is NOT the issue. I was speaking of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). As you state, alternators can generate RFI through faulty diodes, but that fact has little to do with EMC.

Modern vehicle alternators use Schottky diodes with voltage limiting (zener) functionality, to prevent back EMF problems should an open circuit occur. They also use multiple windings (tri-filer), and as many as 19 diodes (Ford). Thus their inherent frequency of operation is above audibility, lessening issues with inductive inference to on-board communications whatever they are. It is a stretch to call these issues EMC related.

Hybrid and EV control circuitry is the big issue, as they are digital by default. Their rapid rise times create third order harmonics well into the UHF spectrum. In any case, the amount of harmonic suppression used in the various hybrids and EVs, is almost nil!

Deleted member 6764

EMC includes both conducted and radiated emissions, it includes RFI. I've literally performed the tests. Conducted and radiated emissions can both create audible results in vehicle sound systems.

An EM noise being above audible can and often creates an audible undesired outcome.

bdginmo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2015 Ford Fusion Energi
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've owned the 2012 Escape Hybrid and the 2015 Fusion Plugin Hybrid. They are the most reliable and lowest maintenance cost vehicles I've owned. If there was a Ranger PHEV for 2024 I would have done that without hesitation.

It's interesting...I also own a 2017 Explorer with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm more worried about that than my 2015 Fusion Plugin Hybrid. The 3.5 Ecoboost has the internal water pump that can fail catastrophically with literally no warning whatsoever killing the engine within a couple of minutes in the process. I'm more worried about that happening than the battery going bad in the 2015 Fusion. And I have 130,000 miles on that thing and the battery still has 80% of its original capacity so the durability is pretty good.

What I wouldn't go for is a full EV version of the Ranger. I'm just not there yet. Charging infrastructure in the US is still well below my personal requirements. I need my gasoline to avoid range anxiety.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
I've owned the 2012 Escape Hybrid and the 2015 Fusion Plugin Hybrid. They are the most reliable and lowest maintenance cost vehicles I've owned. If there was a Ranger PHEV for 2024 I would have done that without hesitation.

It's interesting...I also own a 2017 Explorer with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm more worried about that than my 2015 Fusion Plugin Hybrid. The 3.5 Ecoboost has the internal water pump that can fail catastrophically with literally no warning whatsoever killing the engine within a couple of minutes in the process. I'm more worried about that happening than the battery going bad in the 2015 Fusion. And I have 130,000 miles on that thing and the battery still has 80% of its original capacity so the durability is pretty good.

What I wouldn't go for is a full EV version of the Ranger. I'm just not there yet. Charging infrastructure in the US is still well below my personal requirements. I need my gasoline to avoid range anxiety.
In many if not most cases, you can prevent the 3.5 Water pump disaster by:

1. Frequent cooling system changes using the new coolant fluid. The original fluid has been determined to be the culprit of the corrosion issues
2. Keep an eyeball on the weep hole. As soon as you see fluid there, it’s water pump and timing chain replacement time. If you catch it early, you don’t grenade the engine.

G L Rockwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma off road
Occupation
self
I had a hybrid Maverick. Considering the issues I had and the monthly service trips to the dealership, they can keep their hybrid crap.
You suppose toyota would be the way to go ? I'm debating the Hybrid max as long as the mpgs are significantly higher over the 4 turbo. If not then I'll keep it tried and true and feel better knowing the
electro magnetic radiation isn't slowly cooking me.
Sponsored