• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Marker Lights for the U.S. Ranger Raptor?

Richie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F150 Raptor, 22 Wiltrak Bronco, 1989 LX 5.0 Fox
looking at the Australian version of the Ranger Raptor, it seems like they have made inserts for marker lights similar to the gen 3 F150 Raptor. Does anyone know if the width of the vehicle will require marker lights for the U.S. version?
Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
looking at the Australian version of the Ranger Raptor, it seems like they have made inserts for marker lights similar to the gen 3 F150 Raptor. Does anyone know if the width of the vehicle will require marker lights for the U.S. version?
The rule is 80 inches of width (excluding mirrors) isn't it? The Ranger Raptor is 2030mm wide ex. mirrors from what I can find, same as the old model, which is 79.9". So it's anyone's guess.

Reactions: EJH

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe Z71, Mustang GT
Whether required or not, I’d bet they’re gonna be equipped on the US Raptors to keep the theme with Bronco and F-150.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
It's also worth noting, in Australia you cannot have lights etc that vehicles with more width have to have, if you are under that width.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Whether required or not, I’d bet they’re gonna be equipped on the US Raptors to keep the theme with Bronco and F-150.
It's also worth noting, in Australia you cannot have lights etc that vehicles with more width have to have, if you are under that width.
Yeah, this. I haven't researched enough to know if it is actually illegal or not to falsify your width by putting marker lights on something that doesn't require them, but it certainly seems like it wouldn't be ideal. I know there are plenty of aftermarket kits out there for plenty of vehicles, from current gen Rangers to Toyotas to Escapes and beyond. But just because the aftermarket does it, doesn't mean it's legal. Heck, I see plenty of vehicles driving around with blue and green accented headlights, which is definitely illegal (at least here in Minnesota), but they're out there. But I'm not sure I would expect an OEM manufacturer to skirt the legal line like that if they don't have to. That said, I'm convinced they widened the Bronco Raptor as much as they did purely so they had to add marker lights. So who knows, maybe they'll add another 0.1-0.2" wheel offset for US/CAN models just so the maker lights are required.

Sponsored

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe Z71, Mustang GT
I haven't researched enough to know if it is actually illegal or not to falsify your width by putting marker lights on something that doesn't require them, but it certainly seems like it wouldn't be ideal.
I don’t know the law regarding clearance lights on vehicles narrower than the requirement, but I’ve noticed non-dually full-size pickups with factory marker lights of nearly every manufacturer and generation, from OBS to present. Even the new TRD Pro Tundra has marker lights and it’s no wider than a regular Tundra. From my experience, marker lights have been optional on SRW F250/350s (and GM/Rams) and standard on DRW. I can’t see it being a legal issue at all honestly…

Ford Ranger Marker Lights for the U.S. Ranger Raptor? 223F80B8-AD53-4B1D-84E4-24BABE177EA8

Ford Ranger Marker Lights for the U.S. Ranger Raptor? 46856001-A05E-486A-9A7F-804F58E3257D

Ford Ranger Marker Lights for the U.S. Ranger Raptor? BF26E221-7482-44A9-A0B3-9AF2AE3AE8FD

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
I don’t know the law regarding clearance lights on vehicles narrower than the requirement, but I’ve noticed non-dually full-size pickups with factory marker lights of nearly every manufacturer and generation, from OBS to present. Even the new TRD Pro Tundra has marker lights and it’s no wider than a regular Tundra. From my experience, marker lights have been optional on SRW F250/350s (and GM/Rams) and standard on DRW. I can’t see it being a legal issue at all honestly…

223F80B8-AD53-4B1D-84E4-24BABE177EA8.jpeg

46856001-A05E-486A-9A7F-804F58E3257D.jpeg

BF26E221-7482-44A9-A0B3-9AF2AE3AE8FD.jpeg
Fair enough. I still personally believe it's misrepresenting the size of the vehicle and wrong, and that this whole taking something (like a regulation) that specifically means something, and just doing whatever you want with it is not good and makes the whole practice and original intent pointless (I could go on a nice long rant on that idea in general, but it doesn't matter). But if the vast majority of people don't even know what the heck it means anyways, then I guess who cares.