Sponsored

New to the family: 2025 Ranger XLT FX4

jeremynolan94

Member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
16
Location
Vista, California
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I recently purchased a 2025 XLT FX4 with the 2.7l V6 and advanced towing package. The previous owner put less than 2,000 miles on the odometer, so I got what is basically a new truck for what I felt was a very fair price ($38,800+taxes).
Ford Ranger New to the family: 2025 Ranger XLT FX4 1000039638

I made the move from a 2022 Tacoma Trail Edition, which I had for only 10 months. I never really cared for how it drove, but did appreciate the utility of having a truck. When I test drove the Ranger I was amazed at just how much more comfortable it was, especially with the larger engine. The off road features are also much more advanced; I love that I can use my locking rear differential in 2H and 4H, and that it activates almost instantly.

I intend on keeping it relatively stock, since it will be both my daily driver and weekend warrior. The only accessories I have added are a soft Gator tonneau cover, American Adventure Labs crossbars, and my old roof top tent.
Ford Ranger New to the family: 2025 Ranger XLT FX4 1000039639

American Adventure Labs crossbars with a C6 Rev Tent. I can still slide back the tonneau with the racks installed.
Ford Ranger New to the family: 2025 Ranger XLT FX4 1000039662

I'll eventually upgrade the tires to something slightly more aggressive, but I don't want to affect my mpg too much. I'm looking forward to many adventures in and around the Southwest with this setup!

Looking forward to your input and suggestions as I learn more about this truck.
Sponsored

 

Rollo

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 1, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
48
Reaction score
83
Location
Roanoke TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger
It's crazy that people sell basically a new truck with only 2K miles on it but that's a good deal for you. I've got almost the exact same truck but it cost around $5K more from the dealer. Enjoy!
 

superj

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
3,989
Reaction score
3,859
Location
Corpus christi texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 ford ranger, 2019 wrangler, 2018 mazda3
Occupation
Retired
Nice truck for a good price. That is brand new. 2k is nothing for miles
 

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
23
Messages
537
Reaction score
470
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
Certified Pre Owned? Usually they have a better warranty.
 

bgn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
104
Reaction score
162
Location
Seattle
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
I thought I would trash the stock FX4 tires immediately. So far, they've been more than fine. We'll see what happens come winter...
 

Sponsored

NM Mike

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Jan 4, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
346
Reaction score
601
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
25 Ranger XLT FX4. 99 Superduty XLT Powerstroke 4X4, 71 F250 custom 4x4
Congratulations on the new ride. I also went from a tacoma to a 25 xlt fx4. I liked the tacoma, but I like my ranger more. I hope you enjoy it.
 
OP
OP

jeremynolan94

Member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
16
Location
Vista, California
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I thought I would trash the stock FX4 tires immediately. So far, they've been more than fine. We'll see what happens come winter...
That is good to hear! I'm curious to see how they hold up with some of the rocky trails here around Southern California. My Tacoma had the same tires on it when I first got it, and they held up well until I blew one out drifting on a gravel trail 😆
 
  • Like
Reactions: bgn
OP
OP

jeremynolan94

Member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
16
Location
Vista, California
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Congratulations on the new ride. I also went from a tacoma to a 25 xlt fx4. I liked the tacoma, but I like my ranger more. I hope you enjoy it.
Yes that is exactly how I feel! The Tacoma was a solid truck, but very utilitarian and agricultural feeling. The Ranger feels just as sturdy with many more creature comforts and better driving dynamics as a daily driver.
 
OP
OP

jeremynolan94

Member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
16
Location
Vista, California
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Certified Pre Owned? Usually they have a better warranty.
Yes, according to the Carfax and dealership it was a lease return that the previous owner just didn't like. They had it for only 2 months before trading it in. I still have the remaining factory warranty.
 

donnietTA

Active Member
First Name
Don
Joined
Mar 28, 2026
Threads
6
Messages
37
Reaction score
40
Location
Ohio
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
I also had a 23 Tacoma SR5. I didn’t like the constant up shifting on the 6 speed tranny? The V-6 was smooth but was a dog down low, I had to keep it above 4,000 rpm. I do like my XLT better than the Tacoma, let’s hope it will last longer than a Toyota.😁
 

Sponsored

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
23
Messages
537
Reaction score
470
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
Yes, according to the Carfax and dealership it was a lease return that the previous owner just didn't like. They had it for only 2 months before trading it in. I still have the remaining factory warranty.
My wife bought a used Edge and got more than the factory warranty. 100k power train I am pretty sure.
 

CACTUSGREYFX4

Well-Known Member
First Name
Pat
Joined
Jun 13, 2023
Threads
7
Messages
1,776
Reaction score
1,635
Location
ON, Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
I thought I would trash the stock FX4 tires immediately. So far, they've been more than fine. We'll see what happens come winter...
I will be on my 3rd winter with mine all good.
 

JBWILK

New Member
First Name
Ben
Joined
Feb 15, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Location
Port Charlotte FL
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Nice buy, I got the 2025 Lariat with 2.7L, love I, much better than 2024 Tacoma Sport. Didn't Ford could do it, but they did, far better than Toyota, and I can tow behind the RV. Great choice, I bought high end ARE Cap, weather tech floor mats, mud guards, bed was sprayed and put rubber liner in. Totally happy with it all, and the 2.7L has the fuel economy as a 2.3L, but with the power. Ford did it right with coming back to the Ranger Market.
 
OP
OP

jeremynolan94

Member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
7
Reaction score
16
Location
Vista, California
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I've been getting comfortable with the Ranger over the last few weeks. In basically every metric it has been a better truck than the Tacoma. I'm very eager to get it off road and camping out in the desert with it soon.

My only observation that I want to ask about has to do with the transmission. I've noticed a pretty minor, though distinct, shaking or shuddering feeling when accelerating between approximately 8-14mph. I believe it's primarily in 2nd and 3rd gears, as I've tried isolating gears with the manual shift function. It seems that downshifts into 3rd and 2nd are also a little harsher than other gears. Does this sound pretty par for the course with the 6th gen Ranger? Or have others experienced something similar that ended up being a bigger issue?

I'm hoping it is just me being a little paranoid having a new vehicle, but there is never any harm in asking!
 

CACTUSGREYFX4

Well-Known Member
First Name
Pat
Joined
Jun 13, 2023
Threads
7
Messages
1,776
Reaction score
1,635
Location
ON, Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
I've been getting comfortable with the Ranger over the last few weeks. In basically every metric it has been a better truck than the Tacoma. I'm very eager to get it off road and camping out in the desert with it soon.

My only observation that I want to ask about has to do with the transmission. I've noticed a pretty minor, though distinct, shaking or shuddering feeling when accelerating between approximately 8-14mph. I believe it's primarily in 2nd and 3rd gears, as I've tried isolating gears with the manual shift function. It seems that downshifts into 3rd and 2nd are also a little harsher than other gears. Does this sound pretty par for the course with the 6th gen Ranger? Or have others experienced something similar that ended up being a bigger issue?

I'm hoping it is just me being a little paranoid having a new vehicle, but there is never any harm in asking!
The transmission is still learning, mine was a bit harsh when new now it's butter smooth.
Sponsored

 
 







Top