• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

post deleted by author

• Thread starter Deleted member 6926
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Pac987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I still canā€™t believe Ford didnā€™t put 4A on the US model. Such a massively underrated feature and one Iā€™m sure they decided to omit to push people into the F150. If anyone from Ford is reading this, please fix your mistake. šŸ‘šŸ»

Oh and keyed ignition on XL and XLT in 2023, seriously?

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I still canā€™t believe Ford didnā€™t put 4A on the US model. Such a massively underrated feature and one Iā€™m sure they decided to omit to push people into the F150. If anyone from Ford is reading this, please fix your mistake. šŸ‘šŸ»

Oh and keyed ignition on XL and XLT in 2023, seriously?
seems to be a popular opinion Ford does things deliberately to push people into F-150s, but I've never seen or experienced anything like that myself. And YES, Keys! totally prefer that to push button which is just 1 more electronic system to fail and allows extortion by companies to make you pay for features using the keyfob. Toyota has already got bad PR for doing this.

TDPD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4runner - '24 RR on order
And YES, Keys! totally prefer that to push button which is just 1 more electronic system to fail and allows extortion by companies to make you pay for features using the keyfob. Toyota has already got bad PR for doing this.
I can understand and respect that opinion. And maybe itā€™s implemented poorly for certain makes or models, but Iā€™m not sure.

That said, Iā€™ve had keyless entry/start on the last couple vehicles (VW golf R & Toyota 4Runner) and honestly itā€™s been fantastic. Other than the original added cost for including the feature in the vehicle I havenā€™t paid for any additional services or monthly subscriptions. Just keep the key fob in the pocket and no need to fiddle with the keys, like ever. For me it would be hard to go back now, at least in a modern vehicle.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I can understand and respect that opinion. And maybe itā€™s implemented poorly for certain makes or models, but Iā€™m not sure.

That said, Iā€™ve had keyless entry/start on the last couple vehicles (VW golf R & Toyota 4Runner) and honestly itā€™s been fantastic. Other than the original added cost for including the feature in the vehicle I havenā€™t paid for any additional services or monthly subscriptions. Just keep the key fob in the pocket and no need to fiddle with the keys, like ever. For me it would be hard to go back now, at least in a modern vehicle.
got it. I still have my 1 and only push-button ignition vehicle. 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a "dumb" key fob that only locks/unlocks doors and has a panic button. Jeep has been basically bullet proof with just good maintenance habits except the key fobs and ignition button. Button on dash is hidden by the steering wheel and started getting "wobbly" maybe 3 years ago. It has a snap on cover that hides slot for the emergency key in key fob. It takes a very deliberate push and hold down to shut down the car now and usually takes 2-4 tries at that. Batteries only last 3 years at most on remote, even when the 2nd fob sits in a drawer (I do switch them maybe 2 times per year).

The subscription thing I read about involves multi-function fobs that let you turn on features when not actually in the car. I think it allowed remote starting and turning on heater on cold days, operating windows and more I can't remember. Toyota and BMW were named in the article. They implemented this After-the-fact with a new SW over the air upgrade. Existing owners were told they now had a monthly fee with tiers to subscribe to using their own fob! After a bunch of bad PR, they reversed on the existing owners but new buyers were supposed to be offered the subscriptions at time of purchase if they wanted them. Article called it "the wave of the future" for monetizing features expected to have standard equipment.

Guess I can't miss something I never had since my 1st car in 1974 :LOL:

TDPD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4runner - '24 RR on order
got it. I still have my 1 and only push-button ignition vehicle. 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a "dumb" key fob that only locks/unlocks doors and has a panic button. Jeep has been basically bullet proof with just good maintenance habits except the key fobs and ignition button. Button on dash is hidden by the steering wheel and started getting "wobbly" maybe 3 years ago. It has a snap on cover that hides slot for the emergency key in key fob. It takes a very deliberate push and hold down to shut down the car now and usually takes 2-4 tries at that. Batteries only last 3 years at most on remote, even when the 2nd fob sits in a drawer (I do switch them maybe 2 times per year).

The subscription thing I read about involves multi-function fobs that let you turn on features when not actually in the car. I think it allowed remote starting and turning on heater on cold days, operating windows and more I can't remember. Toyota and BMW were named in the article. They implemented this After-the-fact with a new SW over the air upgrade. Existing owners were told they now had a monthly fee with tiers to subscribe to using their own fob! After a bunch of bad PR, they reversed on the existing owners but new buyers were supposed to be offered the subscriptions at time of purchase if they wanted them. Article called it "the wave of the future" for monetizing features expected to have standard equipment.

Guess I can't miss something I never had since my 1st car in 1974 :LOL:
Yeah, that makes sense and I have seen a glimpse of the subscription model crap. I really hope they donā€™t go that way, or at least require it, on the new rangers that have the feature. šŸ˜†

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
I really wish they had the push button start on the XLT trim. Iā€™ve never had it in a vehicle, but Iā€™ve driven a family memberā€™s vehicle extensively the past year that has it and man itā€™s awesome not having to ever take the key out of your pocket. But I couldnā€™t justify the $5,000 extra to bump up to a Lariat solely for that feature. I did notice that the Colorado has it standard across the line.

Sponsored

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
I really wish they had the push button start on the XLT trim. Iā€™ve never had it in a vehicle, but Iā€™ve driven a family memberā€™s vehicle extensively the past year that has it and man itā€™s awesome not having to ever take the key out of your pocket. But I couldnā€™t justify the $5,000 extra to bump up to a Lariat solely for that feature. I did notice that the Colorado has it standard across the line.
But the Colorado doesn't have cruise control standard haha.

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
But the Colorado doesn't have cruise control standard haha.
Thatā€™a interesting. I know when I built a similar build in the online build & price tool to my Ranger the Colorado was more than a thousand dollars less. Additionally, the Colorado build came with some extras like the push button start, rear air vents, trailer brake controller, etc which my Ranger build didnā€™t have. But it didnā€™t have power rear slider window which the Ranger does. Based on my particular configuration, the Colorado was the better value. However, I donā€™t like itā€™s interior, so itā€™s a moot point for me personally.
Sponsored