Sponsored

Protecting against trail stripes - worth trying?

Mystic

Well-Known Member
First Name
Rusty
Joined
Nov 26, 2024
Threads
8
Messages
227
Reaction score
364
Location
SoCal
Vehicle(s)
'24 RR, '25 Explorer ST
Occupation
Estimator
I got a PPF "trail package" when I bought the truck, and I'm kind of ambivalent on it after almost two years.

It helps, and it's definitely prevented some scratching, but it also gave me the false confidence to get a little too brave a few times and ended up scratching through it in a few places (that's a me issue, haha YMMV). For what it's worth, I think the paint is mostly fine underneath even the heavily scratched areas. My truck will be paid off in a year, and I intend to keep it long-term, even though I'll probably be moving back to the midwest in a few years. I bought the truck to use and abuse it for what it was made to do.

But, ultimately, it's expensive as hell, and if you're relatively cautious and never going to do more than a 4/10 trail, it's probably not even worth the peace of mind.

On a tangent, I got my windows tinted with the 70% UV blocking type (I don't remember the terminology tbh, it's a legal not super dark type that won't ever get you pulled over and mostly blocks solar radiative heat) and I now swear by it. So, SOOO good out here in SoCal. Reduces how often I need to wear sunglasses, and I never have to use a windshield sun blocker.
Sponsored

 

pablo94sc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2023
Threads
42
Messages
1,204
Reaction score
1,229
Location
TN
Vehicle(s)
Focus
On a tangent, I got my windows tinted with the 70% UV blocking type (I don't remember the terminology tbh, it's a legal not super dark type that won't ever get you pulled over and mostly blocks solar radiative heat) and I now swear by it. So, SOOO good out here in SoCal. Reduces how often I need to wear sunglasses, and I never have to use a windshield sun blocker.
Same. I'll always get ceramic tint all the way around on any car I own, always with the 'clear' stuff on the windshield. Total game changer in overall interior comfort. And you can still have the dark visor strip laid on top.
 

bonjo2

Well-Known Member
First Name
Avery
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
64
Reaction score
37
Location
virginia
Vehicle(s)
2025 ranger
I’m waiting in an avail time to get the front tint. I work out of my truck and have the sunburn stripes from where my fronts let the sunshine through. A windshield top strip also important. My last few cars ceramic tint lasted 13yrs with no issues.

I am hoping to get the front tint, hood and roof satin black ppf, then the front end clear ppf with the trail pinstripe (12ā€ ppf along bulge) on sides. Issue is 4-6hr job, but customer provided materials $400 hr, vs 200. Hopefully business slows down for a shop to take me. I might just do the ppf myself.

I really liked how the trucks came out of our bushes and branch brushed at the assault course. I’m not one for crawling and tight trails (hated the angle and steep climb) but love high speed gravel and sand. Unfortunately, most trails I bash through tree limbs or overgrown bush-east coast.
 

adrouin64

Well-Known Member
First Name
Austin
Joined
Feb 17, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
151
Reaction score
199
Location
Jay, ME
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Marketing Manager
If everyone writes to MEK Magnet we might be able to get them to make a kit for the ranger raptor. My dad runs them on his Bronco and they hold and work really well. For right now i've just accepted i'm going to make friends with the buffer when it gets unsightly enough.
 
OP
OP
K-dog

K-dog

New Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
4
Reaction score
5
Location
Arizona, U.S.
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Telecom Engineer
Ford Ranger Protecting against trail stripes - worth trying? IMG_1068

Well, didn’t end up doing any coating and it’s earned it’s stripes by now. Has only been washed by rain in my ownership so it probably looks worse than it actually is.
 

Sponsored

Khamsin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
48
Reaction score
70
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜25 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Retired Army —> Public Sector
Lookin' good!
 

alloyz250

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
53
Reaction score
41
Location
So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger XLT FX4
On a tangent, I got my windows tinted with the 70% UV blocking type (I don't remember the terminology tbh, it's a legal not super dark type that won't ever get you pulled over and mostly blocks solar radiative heat) and I now swear by it. So, SOOO good out here in SoCal. Reduces how often I need to wear sunglasses, and I never have to use a windshield sun blocker.
I am curious, did you go 70% all the way around? What brand ceramic?

I'm real close to doing 70% Xpel XR Plus on all windows. I'm looking for heat displacement alot more than aesthetics. And I don't care for a fixit ticket... they are often given out here in Ventura County.
 

bonjo2

Well-Known Member
First Name
Avery
Joined
Sep 18, 2025
Threads
15
Messages
64
Reaction score
37
Location
virginia
Vehicle(s)
2025 ranger
Like the pitted and bug/rubber stained corvettes owned by engineers and drivers, vs. the triple gloss coat garage queens owned by Jean shorts and boat shoes.

YOLO, my kids say

IMG_1068.webp

Well, didn’t end up doing any coating and it’s earned it’s stripes by now. Has only been washed by rain in my ownership so it probably looks worse than it actually is.
Sponsored

 
 







Top