• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger diesel US, ???

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 Lariat, 2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired Rancher
My son who also drives a new Ranger, sent me the following text this morning...............I'm at the Grand Canyon. The ranger at the gate said that he saw a prototype diesel Ranger come through a while back.
Sponsored

YellowBee

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Occupation
IT
All the rangers in there confused me : )

How did they know it was a diesel prototype? It'd be cool to see prototypes of the 6G Ranger soon...

Foolster

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Trac 2002 5 speed manual
Occupation
Farmer
I would much rather see the seven speed manual and the 2.7 ecoboost as an option. I think an ecoboost engine driven gently can approach the MPG of the diesel when not towing. The ecoboost engines with port injection have broad flat torque curves like a diesel. So they feel like a diesel for most driving except they have much better acceleration when you need it. With the ecoboost you have a trade-off. You can drive slow and get close to the MPG of a diesel or drive fast and get the MPG of a gas engine. Most people are not going to use a Ranger as a frequent tow vehicle so I see no real need for a diesel. With diesel fuel being more expensive than gas and having to waste diesel fuel to regenerate the pollution controls there is no advantage to the diesel engine any more. It is more expensive, higher maintenance, and less reliable.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4Runner
Maybe they are testing the rest of the world version of the new ranger? Diesel is still popular outside of North America.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Very possible Ford does it all the time it's not unusual to see Euro spec Mustangs running around.

Sponsored

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Would absolutely love a diesel option. If you want to go fast, buy a car.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
If this article is correct, then GM is dropping the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon and following Ford's lead.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
I don't see it. The only real advantage the diesel has is better mpg and with diesel costing more in most places, it's really a wash. I think Ford will keep it simple again with the 2.3/10 speed and the optional PHEV and 2.7 Raptor. I would love to see the 2.3 get a slight bump with the next gen GM trucks likely to get the 2.7 turbo 4 cyl, Ford should bump the 2.3 up to a 2.5 EB, but that's unlikely.
Sponsored