• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger Lightning EV

All Terrain Nation

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Occupation
Media
Do you understand what a PHEV is? It is not an all electric vehicle. The Ford-150 Powerboost is a HEV and it's only difference as compared to a PHEV is that the battery pack is smaller and the battery pack cannot be plugged in. The F-150 Powerboost can tow 12,700 lbs. It's range is as good (or better) than the regular F-150 because it also has the 3.5 Ecoboost just like the regular F-150.

A Ranger PHEV is reported to have have the 2.3 Ecoboost combined with an electric motor and battery pack that will give it 360 HP and 500 lb-ft of torque. The battery pack can be plugged in and charged at home or at a commercial charger. It will be excellent at towing with a range as good (or better) than the regular Ranger.
LoL yes I know what it is and plug in tech is not the way to go in a truck. Look how ineffective it is in the Wranger 4Xe add any type of weight to a truck and that plug in battery is dead in miles..
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
LoL yes I know what it is and plug in tech is not the way to go in a truck. Look how ineffective it is in the Wranger 4Xe add any type of weight to a truck and that plug in battery is dead in miles..
No, the battery is absolutely not dead in miles. After the electric only range of the battery is reached the vehicle then operates in standard hybrid mode just as any other hybrid does (e.g. the F-150 Powerboost). This means that you continue to have the extra HP/torque (360/500 for the Ranger) when you need it in addition to better MPG.

In addition, the PHEV will have selective drive modes such as battery only or hybrid mode. You don't have to drive on battery only until you deplete the electric only range. For town driving it likely makes sense to drive in electric mode sense your trips will be short and within the electic only range. You then charge at home where your electric rates are likely cheaper than gasoline. For long road trips it may make sense to select hybrid mode for the entire trip. You seem to be missing the point of a PHEV truck.

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Most PHEV's the battery is meant for low speed traveling. When you get on the Hwy it switches to gas.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most PHEV's the battery is meant for low speed traveling. When you get on the Hwy it switches to gas.
Mostly true, but if you have selected battery only mode the ICE will not start unless it must because of a demanding driving situation (e.g. climbing a steep hill or passing).

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
We have had electric cars since cars
Agreed. So why didn't they take off immediately and become the defacto transportation standard of modern society instead of ICE propulsion? Enquiring minds want to know 🤔🤔

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I was primarily responding to your over the top claim that nobody would buy a Ranger Lightning. F-150 lightning demand is huge compared to Ford’s current capacity to build them.

In regards to your larger claims about EV sales in general, Tesla sold 1,313,581 EVs globally in 2022 and sold 491,000 EVs in the USA in 2022. Ford sold 640,000 F Series trucks in 2022. Perhaps in the future EV sales will tank as you are suggesting, but so far the data doesn’t support those claims.
I can post facts on the following but it probably won't make any difference in your analysis...
Ford sold 15,617 Lightning trucks in 2022. They had increased capacity to build more, but sales didn't increase. Tesla didn't sell 1 single truck, EV or otherwise in 2022. GM sold EV Hummers and Silverados, Rivian sold trucks, Lordstown looked close to making trucks at 1 time- and still might if they can regroup and get back on track. Conclusion, Tesla global EV CAR sales numbers are irrelevant to demand for Ford EV truck sales. Ford wins with a hollow victory.

Your own numbers posted above for Ford 2022 F-Series trucks was 640,000. 15,000 F-150 Lightnings is a minuscule slice of 640,000 by any objective measure. Not HUGE. Facts is facts and the numbers don't lie, even if it contradicts your personal assumptions.

I'll change my over the top claim that "nobody" would buy an EV Ranger if that helps the discussion, but I seriously doubt there would be close to the demand some people assume. Even if it matched Lightning sales, which seems unlikely at best, it still represents a tiny number in the big picture of overall Ford truck sales annually.

As always, YMMV

Last edited:

ssjx7squall

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Agreed. So why didn't they take off immediately and become the defacto transportation standard of modern society instead of ICE propulsion? Enquiring minds want to know 🤔🤔

Same reason many refuse to switch now. Propaganda. And back then batteries

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
i think the maverick and ranger will get ev version by 2030. They said there will be 2 more ev trucks coming.
They are building a whole new factory and complex for 2nd gen evs.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
Ford also just partnered with Tesla to use the same charging plug. That is huge since Tesla charges really fast and they have chargers all over. Everything is going to go electric, is just a matter of when.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
More and More Americans Don't Want to Buy Electric Cars (businessinsider.com)

More and more Americans don't want electric cars

• Americans are getting more divided on electric vehicles.
  • While EVs gain market share, more and more people say don't want one as their next car.
  • Factors repelling buyers from EVs include long charging times, lack of charging stations, and high pricing.

Battery-powered cars seem like the next big thing, but a growing portion of Americans aren't ready to give up internal combustion.

The percentage of Americans who say they're "very unlikely" to buy an electric vehicle as their next car is growing, according to JD Power, which keeps close tabs on consumer sentiment around EVs. In JD Power's surveys, the EV-skeptic contingent has steadily grown from 17.8% to 21% of respondents between January and March.

The share of consumers on the opposite end of the spectrum (those "very likely" to go electric) has stayed mostly flat this year, most recently measured at 26.9%.

"Top-line metrics on overall EV market share, availability and affordability have been on a long-term upward trend," the market research firm said. "But beneath those headline numbers we are starting to see some consumer behaviors that suggest a possible bifurcation of the automotive marketplace."

Some potential car buyers are getting more adamant about not wanting an EV during a transformative and crucial time for the auto business. Carmakers who didn't pay all that much attention to EV technology in years past are dumping billions into developing cleaner cars. That's in part due to tightening environmental regulations around the globe. Plus, they've seen the success of Tesla (now the world's most valuable carmaker by market capitalization) and they now want in on the EV party.

But for that to happen, automakers need to convince shoppers to embrace a new and unfamiliar technology. As JD Power's research shows, that's easier said than done. While interest in EVs is growing — EV market share shot up from 2.6% in February 2020 to 8.5% in February 2023 — there are still lots of sticking points keeping buyers from considering a Tesla or the like.

High purchase price and lack of charging stations were the most-cited reasons for not wanting an EV, followed by limited driving range and time required to charge. Respondents were also concerned about EV performance in extreme temperatures, cost of ownership, lack of repair shops, reliability, and power outages.

Interestingly, it isn't just rigid older folks who are skewing the numbers. While the majority of Boomers and Pre-Boomers aren't considering EVs, 33% of Gen Z shoppers also told JD Power they were either "somewhat unlikely" or "very unlikely" to buy an EV.

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can post facts on the following but it probably won't make any difference in your analysis...
Ford sold 15,000 Lightning trucks in 2022. They had increased capacity to build more, but sales didn't increase. Tesla didn't sell 1 single truck, EV or otherwise in 2022. GM sold EV Hummers and Silverados, Rivian sold trucks, Lordstown looked close to making trucks at 1 time- and still might if they can regroup and get back on track. Conclusion, Tesla global EV CAR sales numbers are irrelevant to demand for Ford EV truck sales. Ford wins with a hollow victory.

Your own numbers posted above for Ford 2022 F-Series trucks was 640,000. 15,000 F-150 Lightnings is a minuscule slice of 640,000 by any objective measure. Not HUGE. Facts is facts and the numbers don't lie, even if it contradicts your personal assumptions.

I'll change my over the top claim that "nobody" would buy an EV Ranger if that helps the discussion, but I seriously doubt there would be close to the demand some people assume. Even if it matched Lightning sales, which seems unlikely at best, it still represents a tiny number in the big picture of overall Ford truck sales annually.

As always, YMMV
Your initial post was not limited to just just EV trucks and I assume the polling data you quoted was also not limited to just EV trucks:

Recent polling shows ~50% of Americans will NEVER consider buying an EV. Another ~24% are "unlikely" to consider an EV for their next vehicle purchase. No matter how much promotion, media cheerleading, and government carrots and sticks rolled out, there is simply no way EV anything can match or beat what we already have with ICE propulsion.
and that is why I included data beyond just EV truck sales (i.e. the Telsa sales data). Your posts seem to suggest that since EV sales have not instantaneously surpassed ICE sales that it will never happen. I think it is way to early to make those kinds of predictions.

Saw this interesting article just this morning:
Model Y Sales
that and the other sales data I posted earlier do not support your conclusion highlighted above. You could be very well correct that EV sales will tank in the future, but again, so far the sales data does not support it.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More and More Americans Don't Want to Buy Electric Cars (businessinsider.com)

More and more Americans don't want electric cars

• Americans are getting more divided on electric vehicles.
  • While EVs gain market share, more and more people say don't want one as their next car.
  • Factors repelling buyers from EVs include long charging times, lack of charging stations, and high pricing.

Battery-powered cars seem like the next big thing, but a growing portion of Americans aren't ready to give up internal combustion.

The percentage of Americans who say they're "very unlikely" to buy an electric vehicle as their next car is growing, according to JD Power, which keeps close tabs on consumer sentiment around EVs. In JD Power's surveys, the EV-skeptic contingent has steadily grown from 17.8% to 21% of respondents between January and March.

The share of consumers on the opposite end of the spectrum (those "very likely" to go electric) has stayed mostly flat this year, most recently measured at 26.9%.

"Top-line metrics on overall EV market share, availability and affordability have been on a long-term upward trend," the market research firm said. "But beneath those headline numbers we are starting to see some consumer behaviors that suggest a possible bifurcation of the automotive marketplace."

Some potential car buyers are getting more adamant about not wanting an EV during a transformative and crucial time for the auto business. Carmakers who didn't pay all that much attention to EV technology in years past are dumping billions into developing cleaner cars. That's in part due to tightening environmental regulations around the globe. Plus, they've seen the success of Tesla (now the world's most valuable carmaker by market capitalization) and they now want in on the EV party.

But for that to happen, automakers need to convince shoppers to embrace a new and unfamiliar technology. As JD Power's research shows, that's easier said than done. While interest in EVs is growing — EV market share shot up from 2.6% in February 2020 to 8.5% in February 2023 — there are still lots of sticking points keeping buyers from considering a Tesla or the like.

High purchase price and lack of charging stations were the most-cited reasons for not wanting an EV, followed by limited driving range and time required to charge. Respondents were also concerned about EV performance in extreme temperatures, cost of ownership, lack of repair shops, reliability, and power outages.

Interestingly, it isn't just rigid older folks who are skewing the numbers. While the majority of Boomers and Pre-Boomers aren't considering EVs, 33% of Gen Z shoppers also told JD Power they were either "somewhat unlikely" or "very unlikely" to buy an EV.
I read that article when it first came out. It makes several valid points about the disadvantages of full BEV vehickles regarding the battery technology and infrastructure as it currently exists. The current disadvantages of BEV vehicles is why I think PHEVs make a lot of sense. PHEVs capitilize on the strengths of both ICE and BEV technology and is a great bridging solution. I'm looking forward to the reveal of the Ranger PHEV.