• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby, 2003 Cobra, 2002 Miata, 2013 SRT8 300
Occupation
Sales
Spent some time at the Performance Racing Industry show in Indy today. I spoke with a very knowledgeable team from Ford Perf. During that discussion I inquired about a Ranger Raptor performance tune and was informed that the one for the Bronco Raptor - aka Braptor is coming out in the 1st quarter of 24. They are in final certification for that tune and they stated the performance on the low end is very noticeable. That bodes well for the Ranger Raptor and most likely a 3rd or 4th quarter release.

That's pretty good intel, most of the time you get..... "we cannot comment on future product". On Maverick performance and variants I was told "good things coming". Things to me implies tuning and perhaps a sport variant like the ST products.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Lessons in editing headlines for "punch". Title changed. We'll see if this gets a few views. The content is the exact same as my first post.

81stfacp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS
Occupation
Retired
So, when the Raptor tune comes out say, 4Q, how do owners and where would they get it?

Wishfully hoping I get mine in 1Q 24, as the build date says so.

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
It's a kit with a tuner box and
Ford Ranger Ranger Raptor Tune COMING! - Conversation with Ford Performance at PRI 1702219944825
cable to connect to the OBD-2 port. It will look something like this. It will be available through Ford Performance and your Ford dealer. Guessing cost will be around $900-1000.

81stfacp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS
Occupation
Retired
It's a kit with a tuner box and
1702219944825.png
cable to connect to the OBD-2 port. It will look something like this. It will be available through Ford Performance and your Ford dealer. Guessing cost will be around $900-1000.
Thank you

Sponsored
OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
It's also warrantied - which is what will differentiate from other aftermarket tunes. They durability test the tuned vehicles to 100K miles. Appreciate that level of detail and certification.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Important to note that the warranty only applies when your installer fits requirements listed by Ford. When I got mine installed back in 2019 those requirements were "a Ford or Lincoln Dealer or ASE certified technician. "

You could do the install easily yourself with a laptop, but in that case you wouldn't get the advertised warranty. I recommend buying the kit at the cheapest price you see and then just finding a local dealership that will do it for you. Labor should be very minimal.

81stfacp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS
Occupation
Retired
Is it up to the user to tune or plug and run, pre-programmed?

Last edited:

UpInTheAir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still not a Raptor
Is it up to the user to tune or plug and run, pre-programmed?
Should be easy to do yourself. Likely just plug into OBDII and flash the new maps onto your ECU from the handheld programmer. That said, the Ford Performance website states you need a certified tech to install to keep your warranty. So it is probably going to cost another hour of shop time on top of the $825 for the tuner/calibrator.
  • 3 year/36k mile warranty from new vehicle in-service when installed by a Ford dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician
The Explorer ST with the 3.0 already has this available, and it sees 405hp to 430hp and 430ft-lbs to 467ft-lbs. I would have expected quite a bit more. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30

81stfacp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS
Occupation
Retired
Should be easy to do yourself. Likely just plug into OBDII and flash the new maps onto your ECU from the handheld programmer. That said, the Ford Performance website states you need a certified tech to install to keep your warranty. So it is probably going to cost another hour of shop time on top of the $825 for the tuner/calibrator.
The Explorer ST with the 3.0 already has this available, and it sees 405hp to 430hp and 430ft-lbs to 467ft-lbs. I would have expected quite a bit more. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30
Thank you!

Maybe they will have better % gain with the Raptor.

Sponsored

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
The raptor won't see a ton more on the top end. It will be similar to the Braptor tune that is coming.

The biggest gains are in the curve, and low end.

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
The raptor won't see a ton more on the top end. It will be similar to the Braptor tune that is coming.

The biggest gains are in the curve, and low end.
From the discussion I had that is exactly the case. Low end feel vs. big numbers.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Spent some time at the Performance Racing Industry show in Indy today. I spoke with a very knowledgeable team from Ford Perf. During that discussion I inquired about a Ranger Raptor performance tune and was informed that the one for the Bronco Raptor - aka Braptor is coming out in the 1st quarter of 24. They are in final certification for that tune and they stated the performance on the low end is very noticeable. That bodes well for the Ranger Raptor and most likely a 3rd or 4th quarter release.

That's pretty good intel, most of the time you get..... "we cannot comment on future product". On Maverick performance and variants I was told "good things coming". Things to me implies tuning and perhaps a sport variant like the ST products.
I have what I think is a good contact at Ford Performance from back at the start of G5 that kept me "fairly" up to date on the FP Tune which was announced about 6 months if I recall before it was actually released which seems to be consistent with your estimate for the RR tune release. I contacted him and he repeated the cannot comment reply :) My hope that if my order ever materializes that I would be able to use the tool with the new files, pretty sure they use the same tool across models....and then you could buy the tool separate from the tune files.

UpInTheAir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still not a Raptor
The Ford Performance website says the ProCal 4 tool is locked to the specific VIN.

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
The Ford Performance website says the ProCal 4 tool is locked to the specific VIN.
That is a standard among "tunes" and tuners - they are locked to a particular vehicle.
Sponsored