• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Report: 2022/2023 Ranger PHEV hybrid is coming

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Its interesting the direction Ford took with the F-150 Hybrid. It has a smaller 1.5-kWh lithium-ion battery tucked under the bed. The battery may seem a bit small for a vehicle of this size, but Ford chose it because it's easy to package and less costly than larger packs, and its weight won't considerably impact the all-important towing and payload capacities. 47Hp Electric motor netting a 4MPG fuel economy improvement and will travel only 10 miles on a charge. The electric motor is mounted between the motor and transmission

Tested: 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid Proves to Be an Electrifying Workhorse (caranddriver.com)

There will be a full EV F 150 that will travel 300 miles on a charge.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
On a full tank of gas the F 150 7.2 kW generator will supply power for 32 hours.

Ford Ranger Report: 2022/2023 Ranger PHEV hybrid is coming F-150-power-onboard-generator-explained

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its interesting the direction Ford took with the F-150 Hybrid. It has a smaller 1.5-kWh lithium-ion battery tucked under the bed. The battery may seem a bit small for a vehicle of this size, but Ford chose it because it's easy to package and less costly than larger packs, and its weight won't considerably impact the all-important towing and payload capacities. 47Hp Electric motor netting a 4MPG fuel economy improvement and will travel only 10 miles on a charge. The electric motor is mounted between the motor and transmission

Tested: 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid Proves to Be an Electrifying Workhorse (caranddriver.com)

There will be a full EV F 150 that will travel 300 miles on a charge.
The F-150 hybrid is not a plug-in hybrid. There is no charging from an electrical grid and it can not go anywhere near 10 miles on battery power alone.

With a hybrid vehicle (not the plug-in hybrid variety) 100% of its energy is derived from gasoline. It just uses the gasoline more efficiently by recapturing kinetic energy during braking and while going down hills and other tricks.

The next generation Ranger will have a plug-in hybrid power train as an option.

Sponsored

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
CSA
Won’t give us diesel. That’s just wrong ?
I believe the tree huggers don't understand the modern diesels and are against them. Ford may be swayed by that attitude to not produce it for the states

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I disagree. All the "tree huggers", as you like to call them, that I know would prefer a diesel over a gas engine, if given only those two options, just purely based on it's higher energy efficiency. Myself included.
Not me--the particulate problem seems to be unsolvable and worse than previously assumed. Getting off ICEs entirely seems like a better path forward than trying to fix diesels.

Also, the efficiency gains relatively to gas engines have really been eaten away by the pollution controls. Maybe with enough R&D you could get that back, but why bother at this point in the game?

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
The Ranger is rated at 23 MPG. Its funny my 2.3L XL is rated at that. 2011 145Hp's. 2022 270Hp's
I have seen figures of 40 to 45 MPG with the PHEV

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Escape PHEV was delayed till January 2021 over possible high Voltage Battery fire. Not confident inspiring.

The Escape PHEV packs a 14.4-kilowatt-hour battery that should provide 37 miles of electric range on a full charge, which takes 3.3 hours on a 240-volt Level 2 charger. Level 1 110 Volt charger 10 to 11 hours.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Feb 25, 2021 MSN article highlights

The plug-in hybrid system hasn't been used before on a production model and is rumored to combine a turbocharged 2.3-liter gasoline engine with an electric

The Ranger’s equivalent SUV version, the Everest, is also expected to utilize the same PHEV powertrain, which could enable both models to have an average fuel consumption of just three liters / 100 km (78.4 miles per gallon),

T he new Ranger and Everest are not the only upcoming Fords to get a plug as there are signs the aforementioned Bronco will also be electrified.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I have feeling the PHEV will not be available on the Ranger Super Cab model. I have no use for a Crew Cab.
If this is the way it will be i may be looking back at the Bronco 4 door.

Rather than a stand-alone model, the F 150 hybrid system is an option, which Ford calls PowerBoost. It’s on crew cab models only, available on every trim, including the base XL that was initially going to be fleet-only. The system self-charges through regenerative braking and engine power, and you don’t plug this truck in.

Pickup Truck Review: 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Hybrid | Driving

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This article is about the Aussie version of the 2022 Ranger but it provides some interesting insight about what we can expect for the North American version.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It isn't the main point of the article, but it's in there.

1617302771643.png
Yes, this is the first article I've seen that indicated the Ranger PHEV will be available globally. Everything else I've read so far, was only confirming it for Europe.