• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Report: 2022/2023 Ranger PHEV hybrid is coming

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Its been very quite with any new info on the 6G Ranger. I guess Ford is occupied with the roll out of the Bronco in the Summer of 2021. Hopefully.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
That plus F150 Lightning, chip shortages, Maverick, Mach E GT, Transit Electric,...

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
That plus F150 Lightning, chip shortages, Maverick, Mach E GT, Transit Electric,...
Yup, the Ford F series has been affected the most by the Chip Shortage, of the Big 3.
Report Shows U.S. Automakers Bearing Brunt of Chip Shortage in North America (msn.com)

This I found as a positive sign that the PHEV Ranger will cover all models. Not just offered in the top trims. Hopefully also on the Super cab.

Ford F 150 Lightning. 70 K orders as of June 1.

Those seeking to reserve one of the F 150 electric trucks have the base truck, XLT, Lariat and Limited trims to choose from. The base, commercial-minded Lightning Pro model wears the attractive circa-$40,000 price tag. The Limited trim truck pictured above costs a whopping $90,000. The midrange XLT trim will set buyers back around $53,000 before destination charge.
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup hits 70,000 reservations (msn.com)

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, White Platinum
I've searched all the googles and it seems that current hybrid trucks, upcoming Ranger included, only offer the hybrid option in crew cab configuration. Any thought as to why this is? Is the extra space in the crew area needed to house the battery? Why wouldn't the ext cab be enough space?

I really don't want nor need a crew cab, and would prefer the extra bed space, therefore very interested in a hybrid pickup with ext cab. Am I outside the norm here?

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I've searched all the googles and it seems that current hybrid trucks, upcoming Ranger included, only offer the hybrid option in crew cab configuration. Any thought as to why this is? Is the extra space in the crew area needed to house the battery? Why wouldn't the ext cab be enough space?

I really don't want nor need a crew cab, and would prefer the extra bed space, therefore very interested in a hybrid pickup with ext cab. Am I outside the norm here?
There has not been a lot of info released, so we do not know if the PHEV will be offered in the lower trims or on the Super Cab.
I am hoping to build a capable off road truck before I hit 60 years young , while I am still able. If Ford does not offer the PHEV in the Super Cab they will not be getting my money.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
This article on the Toyota Tundra gives you some idea of what it takes to cram in all the parts for a PHEV/ICE system.
5 radiators: One for the engine, two for the dual turbo's, one for the Hybrid system and one for the air conditioning.

The new Tundra Hybrid 4x4 in TRD Pro trim, may well be the most technologically dense vehicle that Toyota has ever sold in the United States.

The 2022 Toyota Tundra Is a Complex Answer to a Simple Question (msn.com)

Cramming in all that needs to be between the rails makes for a tight fit. The standard 22.5-gallon plastic fuel tank, for instance, is a convoluted shape to snake round the driveshaft and exhaust system.

Assembled together the hybrid system, quite long 10-speed transmission, and two-speed four-wheel drive transfer case extend almost to the back of short wheelbase Tundras. That's a positive one piece Drive Shaft.

This sounds very complicated.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
orangetech.tech
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
This article on the Toyota Tundra gives you some idea of what it takes to cram in all the parts for a PHEV/ICE system.
5 radiators: One for the engine, two for the dual turbo's, one for the Hybrid system and one for the air conditioning.

The new Tundra Hybrid 4x4 in TRD Pro trim, may well be the most technologically dense vehicle that Toyota has ever sold in the United States.

The 2022 Toyota Tundra Is a Complex Answer to a Simple Question (msn.com)

Cramming in all that needs to be between the rails makes for a tight fit. The standard 22.5-gallon plastic fuel tank, for instance, is a convoluted shape to snake round the driveshaft and exhaust system.

Assembled together the hybrid system, quite long 10-speed transmission, and two-speed four-wheel drive transfer case extend almost to the back of short wheelbase Tundras. That's a positive one piece Drive Shaft.

This sounds very complicated.
That's been my gripe with the hybrid approach. It absolutely has a use case and for some people is the only option since a normal BEV won't tow or go as far as they need and I support that use case fully. but the hybrid's essentially double the complexity of the system.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
I'm really looking forwards to a PHEV Ranger, depending on $, trade in value of my 2020 FX4, & performance/stats .
Need at least 50km on electric.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
That's been my gripe with the hybrid approach. It absolutely has a use case and for some people is the only option since a normal BEV won't tow or go as far as they need and I support that use case fully. but the hybrid's essentially double the complexity of the system.
In my mind the PHEV is a flip vehicle after many years. I hold onto my vehicles for 10 years +. Will have to see what is offered. I am a Scab guy,
the options maybe limited to what is offered on it any way's

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
The EV may make more sense for me. I do not tow and mainly do short trips. I work at a Polytechnic school, so I could charge it at work.
Battery's seem to last an average of 10 years then need replacing.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
The EV may make more sense for me. I do not tow and mainly do short trips. I work at a Polytechnic school, so I could charge it at work.
Battery's seem to last an average of 10 years then need replacing.
Today, yes, seems to be 10 yrs but the tech is moving fast. By 2025 things might be very different(I would hope).
Sponsored