• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
The Raptor in camo doesn't have the step in the bed side...

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are the Raptor's bedsides unique and flared out (wider) compared to the non-Raptor Ranger? Or is the only difference on the next gen the wheel opening flares since the standard bed already appears to have a curved contour. And does the Raptor wheel opening flare extend into the space where the step would normally be?

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Are the Raptor's bedsides unique and flared out (wider) compared to the non-Raptor Ranger? Or is the only difference on the next gen the wheel opening flares since the standard bed already appears to have a curved contour. And does the Raptor wheel opening flare extend into the space where the step would normally be?
It's wider, and the sides behind the wheel arches don't extend as low. The same is true for the current model also, and the rear step is lower profile to increase the departure angle.

The current model's body is 175mm wider, this new one won't be as extreme as the standard vehicle is slightly wider. But to give you an indication, the tail lights of the standard new Ranger extend out past the bed sides, whereas you can see they are inset into the Raptor's bed sides.

Last edited:

Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's wider, and the sides behind the wheel arches don't extend as low. The same is true for the current model also, and the rear step is lower profile to increase the departure angle.

The current model's body is 175mm wider, this new one won't be as extreme as the standard vehicle is slightly wider. But to give you an indication, the tail lights of the standard new Ranger extend out past the bed sides, whereas you can see they are inset into the Raptor's bed sides.
I think the nomenclature differences might be biting us again. I was referring to the step in the bedside on the standard next gen Ranger which is between the rear bumper and the wheel opening, not the bumper (or Aussie step?) itself.

But your point about the bedside not extending as low on the Raptor could also be another reason to eliminate the side step that is on the non-Raptor next gen.

Whether the side step is there or not is not a show stopper for me as my current F-150 doesn't have one either and I have somehow managed to retrieve whatever is in the bed. I keep an extendable ice scraper in the bed which doubles as a hook to pull stuff to the tailgate. If that doesn't work I can always use the "Man Step". ;)

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think the nomenclature differences might be biting us again. I was referring to the step in the bedside on the standard next gen Ranger which is between the rear bumper and the wheel opening, not the bumper (or Aussie step?) itself.
Ah yes, I was referring to the side step not being there as the bed sides are a different shape (not extending down as far), and rear step/bumper not being as tall. Lining my Raptor up next to our XLT, the differences at the rear a massive when they look so similar.

You're also correct that the wheel arches are larger. The overall width difference I think will be less noticeable on the new model due to the styling of the standard vehicle, but it will be significantly wider.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whether the side step is there or not is not a show stopper for me as my current F-150 doesn't have one either and I have somehow managed to retrieve whatever is in the bed. I keep an extendable ice scraper in the bed which doubles as a hook to pull stuff to the tailgate. If that doesn't work I can always use the "Man Step". ;)
That is an annoyance for me, the Raptor is just that much more difficult to climb into the bed vs our XLT. The extra two inches of height makes a big difference (50mm).

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the clarification. What's been your experience with corrosion resistance on your Rangers? The highway dept. in my neck of the woods uses a ton of salt during the winter months and it takes a toll on steel bodies. That's one thing I'm not concerned with on the F-150 with it's all aluminum body.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the clarification. What's been your experience with corrosion resistance on your Rangers? The highway dept. in my neck of the woods uses a ton of salt during the winter months and it takes a toll on steel bodies. That's one thing I'm not concerned with on the F-150 with it's all aluminum body.
Other than those living on the coast, rust really isn't an issue in Australia. Even vehicles that have a reputation in Europe or the US for rust fair pretty well out here. The Ranger seems to cope pretty well though. Oh and Aluminium corrodes just as readily as steel does.

Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh and Aluminium corrodes just as readily as steel does.
Hmmm. That hasn't been my experience with the F-150. After three winters in the rust belt I haven't seen any signs of corrosion other than some minor spots on the steel frame where the paint got knocked off by flying road debris. I couldn't say that about my last steel bodied truck which was a 2007 Sport Trac. The main reason I traded it on the F-150 was because the rocker panels and rear cab corners looked like Swiss cheese.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hmmm. That hasn't been my experience with the F-150. After three winters in the rust belt I haven't seen any signs of corrosion other than some minor spots on the steel frame where the paint got knocked off by flying road debris. I couldn't say that about my last steel bodied truck which was a 2007 Sport Trac. The main reason I traded it on the F-150 was because the rocker panels and rear cab corners looked like Swiss cheese.
It may be because Ford has figured out how to get rust proofing onto the vehicles properly, but aluminium definitely corrodes. It's a massive problem with aircraft structures.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious but do you know the curb weight of your Ranger Raptor?

My '18 F-150 is 4707 lbs completely empty. It is a 4x4 XLT Supercrew short bed with the 5.0L and ten-speed auto.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine is about 2400 kg, give or take 10 kg. I haven't weighed it empty before, it was 2540 when I last weighed it with me and some gear in it. 2400 kg is 5290 lbs roughly, and it is heavier than the rest of the Rangers due to the chassis strengthening (rated to an extra G of impact loading on the suspension).

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Trying to find a closer image of the front, but the differences between the Sport and Raptor can be seen.

Ford Ranger Video: Next Ranger Raptor Spied Testing in Thailand FB_IMG_1642666366377
Sponsored