• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Thanks for the clarification. What's been your experience with corrosion resistance on your Rangers? The highway dept. in my neck of the woods uses a ton of salt during the winter months and it takes a toll on steel bodies. That's one thing I'm not concerned with on the F-150 with it's all aluminum body.
Hmmm. That hasn't been my experience with the F-150. After three winters in the rust belt I haven't seen any signs of corrosion other than some minor spots on the steel frame where the paint got knocked off by flying road debris. I couldn't say that about my last steel bodied truck which was a 2007 Sport Trac. The main reason I traded it on the F-150 was because the rocker panels and rear cab corners looked like Swiss cheese.
It may be because Ford has figured out how to get rust proofing onto the vehicles properly, but aluminum definitely corrodes. It's a massive problem with aircraft structures.
As an Aerostructures engineer, I can tell you that aluminum definitely does corrode. Every metal and material corrodes and breaks down in some way. Aluminum corrosion just doesn't look like steel corrosion (aka aluminum doesn't rust). They also react differently to different materials. So aluminum isn't as highly reactive to salt as iron/steel is, that's why aluminum pieces don't corrode as quickly when exposed to Midwest road salt.

And speaking of salt exposure on Rangers. This is the 3rd winter with my 2019 Ranger and I've had no issues dealing with the cold, snow, and heavy salting that Northern Minnesota has to bring. Though I've also added more protection to the rocker panels to try and stave that off, since I too have had many a vehicle rust away underneath me. Do I wish the Ranger bodies were aluminum as well? Most definitely. Not just for the corrosion issue, but for the lightness as well.
Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
Trying to find a closer image of the front, but the differences between the Sport and Raptor can be seen.

FB_IMG_1642666366377.jpg
It's hard to see through the camo but it almost looks like the only difference in the front fenders on the next gen are the size of the fender flares on the Raptor. As you mentioned earlier, the bedsides are different and that can be seen in the side profile photos that show how the Raptor bed is flared out around the taillights.

Does anyone know what the extent of aluminum body panels is on the next gen? I assume the hood for sure but what about other bolt on parts like the front fenders, doors and tailgate? On the Bronco all of those panels as well as the rear fenders (quarter panels) are aluminum. The only steel parts are in the cabin floor structure. On the Ranger I assume the entire cab shell and bed are steel but what about the rest?

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
It's hard to see through the camo but it almost looks like the only difference in the front fenders on the next gen are the size of the fender flares on the Raptor. As you mentioned earlier, the bedsides are different and that can be seen in the side profile photos that show how the Raptor bed is flared out around the taillights.

Does anyone know what the extent of aluminum body panels is on the next gen? I assume the hood for sure but what about other bolt on parts like the front fenders, doors and tailgate? On the Bronco all of those panels as well as the rear fenders (quarter panels) are aluminum. The only steel parts are in the cabin floor structure. On the Ranger I assume the entire cab shell and bed are steel but what about the rest?
The front fenders are wider, the headlights are set in further from the extremities of the fenders (breaks my heart to use that word:LOL:), in the OP's video there is a side on view of the front that shows it more clearly.

The current Ranger in Australia has no aluminium in it at all. The Raptor's front fenders are composite. I was supposed to be viewing the new Ranger yesterday but Ford cancelled the event. I would've quizzed them on these details!

OP
OP

blueharley

First Name
mustafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger raptor
Occupation
industrial engineer
Thanks for the clarification. What's been your experience with corrosion resistance on your Rangers? The highway dept. in my neck of the woods uses a ton of salt during the winter months and it takes a toll on steel bodies. That's one thing I'm not concerned with on the F-150 with it's all aluminum body.
The Euro spec'd RRs are made in South Africa (mine is a 2020, having 21.000km on the odo, and seen 4 seasons incl heavy snow and ice) and they do seem to be pretty resistant to corrosion compared to the F150s and the US Rangers. The only issue I had was the rear suspension tower which is under the wheel well liner due to the modified frame for coilovers, so the rocks and the chips were falling down after hitting the liner directly to the top of this suspension tower. I have seen some damages having slight surface rust, then painted them. Other than this, no issues whatsover (knock, knock, knocking on the wood)...

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another video out of Thailand.

Sponsored

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I like that grill better than stock and I normally am not a fan of the FORD grills on the raptors, but I think this one doesn’t accentuate the c-shaped headlights as much. I dig it. Can’t wait to see whats in store for the NA market.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
Hey, at least it's LH drive!

Don't know if anyone saw the article on the Ford Performance website about the Bronco Raptor but they are still saying the same thing about the Ranger Raptor being for "global markets". I'm hoping they were only referring to their current marketing strategies and not those of the future.

"With the addition of Bronco Raptor, Ford once again expands its Raptor high-performance off road vehicle franchise, which also includes F-150 Raptor for North America and Ranger Raptor for global markets. "

They also mentioned the fact that the 3.0L EcoBoost is a "compacted graphite iron-block engine" which should finally put to rest all the false speculation about that engine having an aluminum block.

https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2022/1/bronco-raptor.html

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gives us a good idea on how the bumper will be separated from the body in north america.
Maybe, the way your Ranger's front bumper is separated is quite different to my Raptor's in the current gen.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4Runner
Maybe, the way your Ranger's front bumper is separated is quite different to my Raptor's in the current gen.
I was thinking about where they will make the division not really the style.
Sponsored