• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

What is the Wildtrak missing vs Raptor?

jgrizzled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I am interested in the 2023 Ranger to tow my travel trailer. I currently tow a nuCamp Tab 320 at about 2500 lbs fully loaded. The Raptor should tow it fine with 5500 lbs capacity, but as I may upgrade to a larger trailer in the future, it would be nice to have the 7500 lbs capacity of the Wildtrak.

As I do a lot of offroading, the Raptor would be ideal. But if I go for a fully loaded Wildtrak, what features would I be missing?

If you were towing a small trailer, would you go for the Wildtrak or Raptor?

Or could I mod the Raptor to "unofficially" tow 7500 lbs well enough?
Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I would not touch the Raptor. It looks like they are around 20K more then a Ranger. The Raptor has a reinforced frame at the suspension mounts,
33" tires and a slightly higher lift. 3.0 L motor, coil spring rear suspension and a bit more goodies. If the WildTrak/Tremor is offered in NA. It has leaf springs, which comes with the 7500lb towing. 32" tires slight lift over stock. Better for towing.
Myself, I do not need a 4 door truck. I want the 6' bed.
I would say Ford will still not offer a Scab with Tremor options. I would modify it myself to be better then the Tremor. Just hoping they get rid of the parabolic one leaf spring and use the multi leaf springs.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
The 5G Ranger has a parabolic spring. The Tremor offered a multi leaf spring. The parabolic spring was not well liked. Bumpy ride.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I am interested in the 2023 Ranger to tow my travel trailer. I currently tow a nuCamp Tab 320 at about 2500 lbs fully loaded. The Raptor should tow it fine with 5500 lbs capacity, but as I may upgrade to a larger trailer in the future, it would be nice to have the 7500 lbs capacity of the Wildtrak.

As I do a lot of offroading, the Raptor would be ideal. But if I go for a fully loaded Wildtrak, what features would I be missing?

If you were towing a small trailer, would you go for the Wildtrak or Raptor?

Or could I mod the Raptor to "unofficially" tow 7500 lbs well enough?
Assuming you're in the US, it is extremely unlikely you'll be getting the Wildtrak at all. Wait for the US market launch, the figures, engines etc will change vs the RoW.
As far as Raptor vs regular Ranger goes, the main differences are the wheel track (+100mm approx.), suspension (Fox shocks and coil rear end) and the engine. Otherwise it is essentially the same interior and tech as a fully loaded Wildtrak in AU.

I own a outgoing gen Raptor, you can't tow more than it is rated to (2500 kg/5500 lb), the suspension is too soft to hold up the corresponding tow ball load and the rear axle will be overloaded. It's difficult to tow 2500 kg with anything in the bed without overloading the rear axle, let alone with an even heavier trailer. If you want to tow anything more than 5500 lb you'll need something other than a Raptor. It's a hot topic in Australia with people buying caravans too big for the Raptor to handle. No company has come out with a towing capacity increase, the wider axle would require testing to determine its strength.
Sponsored