• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

With the Tacoma out till 2024 - The Canyon seems to be decent competition.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Other manufactures for NA seem to be following Ford's small cubic inch with turbo. Chevy 2.7L 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque. Is Chevy and GMC keeping with the leaf spring rear end. Better for towing. Looks like the Tacoma is going to coils. Curious to see if the towing capacity will be reduced. Not sure if you can get 7500lbs towing with coils and have the suspension compliant enough for off roading.

OP
OP

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Other manufactures for NA seem to be following Ford's small cubic inch with turbo. Chevy 2.7L 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque. Is Chevy and GMC keeping with the leaf spring rear end. Better for towing. Looks like the Tacoma is going to coils. Curious to see if the towing capacity will be reduced. Not sure if you can get 7500lbs towing with coils and have the suspension compliant enough for off roading.
yea it will be interesting to see what happens. I always liked the looks of the Canyon out of all the midsizers, so this will be interesting.
Should see the new aT4 in a few months hopefully.

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
yea it will be interesting to see what happens. I always liked the looks of the Canyon out of all the midsizers, so this will be interesting.
Should see the new aT4 in a few months hopefully.
Looks like the AT4 in the pictures. Doesn’t look like a zr2

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
The Rams have had coil spring rear ends for years, and they do just fine at towing and off-roading and everything else. It's definitely possible, just depends how much investment manufacturers want to put into design and development of a coil rear-end system.

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Any truck more focused for off roading is going to have reduced towing capacity. TRX 8500lbs over 11 500lbs + on a standard Ram. Ranger Raptor 5500lbs to 7500lbs. The Tacoma to hit its price point with coils will have a reduced towing capacity, unless you lose the off road compliant abilities.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Any truck more focused for off roading is going to have reduced towing capacity. TRX 8500lbs over 11 500lbs + on a standard Ram. Ranger Raptor 5500lbs to 7500lbs. The Tacoma to hit its price point with coils will have a reduced towing capacity, unless you lose the off road compliant abilities.
But what I'm saying is it's not just the TRX, the 11500lbs+ towing Ram also has rear coil spring suspension. So clearly it's not that big of an issue.

BlockRanger11

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda accord
Occupation
Associate Manager
I have the new Nissan Frontier pro 4x rn until I decide if I want my bronco badlands order or the new ranger raptor. Frontier is probably the overall best midsized truck available atm.

OP
OP

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I have the new Nissan Frontier pro 4x rn until I decide if I want my bronco badlands order or the new ranger raptor. Frontier is probably the overall best midsized truck available atm.
Really???
From what I have read/watched, i thought the revamped frontier still sits low on the totem pole due to low performance, low mpg, mediocre tech, etc...

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys Gladiator
So what would be your pros and cons with the Frontier?? I like what they did with the redesign. A fully loaded Pro 4X seems like a pretty good value. It's on my radar if the 2023 Ranger launch goes south like the Bronco launch has.

Sponsored

BlockRanger11

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda accord
Occupation
Associate Manager
So what would be your pros and cons with the Frontier?? I like what they did with the redesign. A fully loaded Pro 4X seems like a pretty good value. It's on my radar if the 2023 Ranger launch goes south like the Bronco launch has.
I love it. I got it fully loaded, only complaints are the hydraulic steering is kind of heavy and annoying. I like rock crawling and the rear locker can only be engaged in 4L, no front locker. Interior is fantastic, seats are very comfortable, the fender audio system is the best Stock system I’ve ever owned. Paid 46k.

BlockRanger11

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda accord
Occupation
Associate Manager
Really???
From what I have read/watched, i thought the revamped frontier still sits low on the totem pole due to low performance, low mpg, mediocre tech, etc...
Nahhh I read and watched the same videos. Performs great off road, interior is far better than any other current mid size truck, I get 24.6 mpg. A lot of other guys on the frontier forum are getting 25+. The audio system is great, it doesn’t have the off road tech of the ranger tremor, but it’s just as capable. I put it through its paces at the hot springs off road park in Arkansas and was impressed. I owned a 2022 f-150 tremor before I got this. I just don’t like Nissan and want a front locker with sway bar disco hahahahahah

OP
OP

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Nahhh I read and watched the same videos. Performs great off road, interior is far better than any other current mid size truck, I get 24.6 mpg. A lot of other guys on the frontier forum are getting 25+. The audio system is great, it doesn’t have the off road tech of the ranger tremor, but it’s just as capable. I put it through its paces at the hot springs off road park in Arkansas and was impressed. I owned a 2022 f-150 tremor before I got this. I just don’t like Nissan and want a front locker with sway bar disco hahahahahah
oh that is good to hear. I heard the reviews like 16 mpg city and like 19 hwy, maybe it has an extended break in period?
I do like the looks of it, it is a handsome machine.

BlockRanger11

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda accord
Occupation
Associate Manager
oh that is good to hear. I heard the reviews like 16 mpg city and like 19 hwy, maybe it has an extended break in period?
I do like the looks of it, it is a handsome machine.
I have 3k miles on mine. It’s a nice vehicle, but I prefer Ford. Probably will stick with my bronco order but we’ll see what the ranger raptor has to offer in the us, does it have a front locker?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
When I was looking to get rid of my Tacoma I looked into buying a Colorado ZR-2. It did drive nice but I couldn't get past the dated interior and then read about the transmission issues, once I test drove the Ranger I was sold. Hopefully the new Gen twins are updated because I think having good competition between these midsize (actually every size) is really good and makes Ford step up their game. I doubt I'd jump ship for one but if they come out with something really nice I'd defiantly give them a look.
Sponsored