• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
4x4 Australia compares the Sport V6 to the Toyota Hilux:
Sponsored

OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ranger Raptor prototype drives are out:

OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Perhaps an interesting review to come, MINE! I got to drive the full range of Rangers (and the Everest too) yesterday, as well as have a ride in a Production spec Ranger Raptor. I am not able to discuss the Raptor or the Everest yet, as these vehicles are under embargo. But I can give a few things on the Ranger lineup, especially things that will carry over to the US such as the interior etc.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4Runner
Perhaps an interesting review to come, MINE! I got to drive the full range of Rangers (and the Everest too) yesterday, as well as have a ride in a Production spec Ranger Raptor. I am not able to discuss the Raptor or the Everest yet, as these vehicles are under embargo. But I can give a few things on the Ranger lineup, especially things that will carry over to the US such as the interior etc.
Ford Ranger Australian New Ranger Reviews Are Out! well-waitin
;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Teardown with fullBOOST and the Auto Innovation Centre.

Verdue

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Occupation
Architect
What is with the sports bra over the bumper. That will make a custom bumper swap hard to do - and it looks fugly. Hope taht doesn't carry onto the NA model.

Ford4wheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Took delivery of my new V6 diesel Ranger yesterday. I swapped from a 2020 Ranger. I was not confident that it was the smartest decision prior to delivery but I am very happy with the outcome.

It is obvious that the styling both externally and to a degree internally is "F Truck" based. They actually look better in the flesh. The new Ranger is much quieter to drive and has quite a lot of tech with the Ford SYNC 4 system. The V6 XLT has options for 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive (more all wheel drive as drive sent front to rear as required) for slippery surfaces and the usual 4x4 high and 4x4 low range.

There are various drive modes (as explained in the various review videos now available). I have yet to experiment with these so time will tell if they are useful or not.

The vehicle I have has what is described as an "E Shifter" It will put the vehicle in park if you shut it down without shifting from drive. For me, the selector is too fiddly and the manual shift buttons are awkward to use. I prefer the shifter on the 2020 model which was comfortable and easy to use. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to the new shifter.

The stock vehicle will definitely need a suspension lift for more serious off road work but as a family touring vehicle will be nice.

Provided the V6 diesel and 10 speed auto remain reliable, it should be a nice ute to own and am looking forward to optioning it up (not the cost though!).

First impression is that the build quality is good. Paint and panels fit together well. The internal centre console does not seem quite as solid as the previous model and might move around a bit and rattle on corrugations. Time will tell.

The front end structure is completely new with panels bolting to the main side members, similar to a race car design I suppose. There is more space in the engine bay as the vehicle has been designed with future electrification in mind. The bonnet is quite heavy and there are no gas struts to assistance. Definitely more solid than the previous generation Ranger.

The internal design will make it a little difficult to fit additional switches so I suspect a roof switch console might be required. There is one available on the top model Wildtracks here in Australia but that has not filtered down to lower models.

The V6 petrol Raptors are starting to appear now with the power unit they deserve.

The Australian aftermarket is developing products for the new Rangers and ARB has partnered with Ford to supply many accessories such as frontal protection, canopies, rear bars, roof racks etc. As per the previous model these will obviously be developed for the US market.

They Rangers are not cheap in Australia as there are vehicle shortages, so there is no incentive for dealers to discount. Diesels are preferred here for our long distance touring and while there are not too many V6 diesel Rangers available at present, there are plenty of the 2.0 litre biturbo Rangers on the showroom floors for most model variants. Long wait times can be expected for the premium V6 models.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the US versions.

Not the best photo but shows the styling.

Ford Ranger Australian New Ranger Reviews Are Out! 2022 Ranger V6

svennyotski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FG XR6 Turbo Ute
Saturday I picked up my next gen raptor.

I've always wanted a Raptor but diesel's just don't do it for me. I've always been a petrol turbo bloke with the like of high performance engines in the Falcon XR6 turbos, FPV F6's etc.

Coming from Aussie falcons, the build quality is so much better. The plastics through to the soft "suede" dash and door trim is a nice touch. I was weary about the sound system as our fords have always been pathetic in this area. It didnt disappoint, good clarity and bass for the stock system.

The only options here are colour, bead lock wheels and the sticker kit. I opted for Arctic White. Glad I went that way as the features of the car pop out.

The interior screen and dash is of good quality/definition as well as the numerous settings that you can play around with. It feels luxurious.

The tiptronic and 10 speed auto respond well.

The door opener location in the door handle is well placed, I was sure I was going to find this a little uncomfortable to open but it works well.

The matrix headlights are a great addition, great clarity and the high beam has a decent amount of distance.

The only thing a tad annoying which a tune will fix is max power is only in baja mode - which auto locks both diffs making it a pain when you are in suburban streets with roundabouts etc. The upgraded fox shocks are awesome - I cannot wait to test them out more thoroughly as well as other driving modes like rock crawl.

I'm sure I will find more as time progresses but first impressions after I've only put ~250 klm on it so far however from first drives this is a great car.

Waiting lists here are now 11-12 months, very glad I got in early.
Ford Ranger Australian New Ranger Reviews Are Out! unnamed

Ford Ranger Australian New Ranger Reviews Are Out! unnamed (2)

OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The only thing a tad annoying which a tune will fix is max power is only in baja mode - which auto locks both diffs making it a pain when you are in suburban streets with roundabouts etc.
Hey Mate, this isn't correct. The most aggressive throttle maps are in Baja and Sport, but you get all 292 kW in all drive modes if you floor it. The throttle maps are just more soft in other modes.

Sponsored

CrustyNoodle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 BMW 135i, '19 Rangie Sport, '23 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Saturday I picked up my next gen raptor.

I've always wanted a Raptor but diesel's just don't do it for me. I've always been a petrol turbo bloke with the like of high performance engines in the Falcon XR6 turbos, FPV F6's etc.

Coming from Aussie falcons, the build quality is so much better. The plastics through to the soft "suede" dash and door trim is a nice touch. I was weary about the sound system as our fords have always been pathetic in this area. It didnt disappoint, good clarity and bass for the stock system.

The only options here are colour, bead lock wheels and the sticker kit. I opted for Arctic White. Glad I went that way as the features of the car pop out.

The interior screen and dash is of good quality/definition as well as the numerous settings that you can play around with. It feels luxurious.

The tiptronic and 10 speed auto respond well.

The door opener location in the door handle is well placed, I was sure I was going to find this a little uncomfortable to open but it works well.

The matrix headlights are a great addition, great clarity and the high beam has a decent amount of distance.

The only thing a tad annoying which a tune will fix is max power is only in baja mode - which auto locks both diffs making it a pain when you are in suburban streets with roundabouts etc. The upgraded fox shocks are awesome - I cannot wait to test them out more thoroughly as well as other driving modes like rock crawl.

I'm sure I will find more as time progresses but first impressions after I've only put ~250 klm on it so far however from first drives this is a great car.

Waiting lists here are now 11-12 months, very glad I got in early.
unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg
Love it! thanks for posting.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Chrysler 300s 5.7L
Occupation
Retired/Manufacturing
Truly interesting. Built in Thailand as I recall - any vehicle manufacturing in Australia at all now?

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truly interesting. Built in Thailand as I recall - any vehicle manufacturing in Australia at all now?
Not light vehicles since Toyota, Ford and Holden left. Ford's design centre still operates (this Ranger was designed and engineered in Melbourne), and their prototyping facility still operates too.

But heavy vehicles are built here, with Volvo/Mack, PACCAR Kenworth/DAF to name a couple, as well as military vehicle manufacturing.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Chrysler 300s 5.7L
Occupation
Retired/Manufacturing
Not light vehicles since Toyota, Ford and Holden left. Ford's design centre still operates (this Ranger was designed and engineered in Melbourne), and their prototyping facility still operates too.

But heavy vehicles are built here, with Volvo/Mack, PACCAR Kenworth/DAF to name a couple, as well as military vehicle manufacturing.
I retired from DTNA and we shipped complete RHD Freightliners out of Charleston, SC (mostly) and, on occasion, Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL - this included 'knock down kits' too.

Also shipped complete RHD Western Stars mostly out of Tacoma and Vancouver, WA. On rare occasion, out of Long Beach, CA. The majority of the west coast trucks went to Australia and New Zealand. East Coast Freightliners went to RHD nations, with the knock down kits going primarily to South Africa.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc