• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
However, if the RR ends up being like it's big brother and ADM is the norm forever, then I'll look at the new ZR2 or ATX4.
Was this always the case even in pre pandemic times? I am currently waiting to get a RR, but I don't want to pay like 70k for one. I don't mind going like max 5k over (shh don't tell my dealer that). Do you think this can be had for MSRP even if we just do a custom order?
At least in the west coast of Canada it was. I waited several years for the ADM to go away on the Raptor and finally gave up.
Hopefully the ADM won't last long on the RR, as there will be other options available.

The classiest company move I've witnessed is when Jaguar brought out the F-Pace. There was big demand for it initially, but Jag refused to allow any dealer to charge over MSRP.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I mean, that's exactly the lineup they have on the F-150 right now: FX4, Tremor, and Raptor. And soon the even more ridiculous Raptor R. Not saying a Ranger is an F-150 level product, but just by bringing the Ranger Raptor to US/Can, they're saying they're investing in the Ranger for us, so who knows.
And I'm not sure it would hurt Raptor sales in that big of a way. The majority of people crazy enough to want a Raptor are not going to "step down" to a Tremor. For the majority of owners Raptors are statement pieces, not for functional use.. Tremors just don't give off that same "in your face" curb essence most Raptor owners want.
Much of it comes down to plant capacity and profit margin- there isn't very much costly hardware involved in a Termor Ranger. That makes for big, juicy margins. They may make the RR a volume limited halo model and milk the Tremor for all it's worth.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
Much of it comes down to plant capacity and profit margin- there isn't very much costly hardware involved in a Termor Ranger. That makes for big, juicy margins. They may make the RR a volume limited halo model and milk the Tremor for all it's worth.
If they are bold enough to offer the 2.7 with the Tremor package (doubtful) that would be a great option for anyone who wants good off-road performance but also needs the towing capability and doesn't want the size of the F-150. I'm not sold on the RR being a good towing option with its coil spring/Watts link rear suspension. The Tremor should also be considerably lighter and a little more fuel efficient than the RR. Believe it or not, the current gen RR that we can't buy is actually about 500 lbs heavier than my '18 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.0L and 10-speed.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
If they are bold enough to offer the 2.7 with the Tremor package (doubtful) that would be a great option for anyone who wants good off-road performance but also needs the towing capability and doesn't want the size of the F-150. I'm not sold on the RR being a good towing option with its coil spring/Watts link rear suspension. The Tremor should also be considerably lighter and a little more fuel efficient than the RR. Believe it or not, the current gen RR that we can't buy is actually about 500 lbs heavier than my '18 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.0L and 10-speed.
Even bolder… How about a Tremor with 2.7 and offer it in a SuperCrew/Longbed configuration? That would be my choice… the perfect overland truck with no major mods need and right from the factory. Just take my money!!!

Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even bolder… How about a Tremor with 2.7 and offer it in a SuperCrew/Longbed configuration? That would be my choice… the perfect overland truck with no major mods need and right from the factory. Just take my money!!!
Unless VW has a similar requirement for the Amarok that will be built on the Ranger chassis I don't see Ford building that particular combination. There has to be enough demand and I doubt Ford believes there is or they would have done it already with the current gen. They do offer a regular cab model with a 6 ft bed in other markets but they have yet to sell that combination here. All Rangers are currently built on the same length frame, shorter cab = longer bed, and so on. As I said, about the only way I see Ford building more than one frame length is if VW demands it for the Amarok and even then that truck will only be built in South Africa, not here. Then again, we are getting the Raptor so I guess there's reason to hope.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
As I said, about the only way I see Ford building more than one frame length is if VW demands it for the Amarok and even then that truck will only be built in South Africa, not here. Then again, we are getting the Raptor so I guess there's reason to hope.
This is pretty unlikely also, the Amarok is only available in one chassis length, and is sold mostly in crew cab configuration. Amaroks, at least in Australia, are marketed less as work vehicles but more so as lifestyle vehicles. This is highlighted by the fact that the automatic transmission is not available with low range. The same could be said for the Ranger, but Ford sells a huge number to fleets.

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
If they are bold enough to offer the 2.7 with the Tremor package (doubtful) that would be a great option for anyone who wants good off-road performance but also needs the towing capability and doesn't want the size of the F-150. I'm not sold on the RR being a good towing option with its coil spring/Watts link rear suspension.
Do we know that the new Raptor gets a Watts linkage? I would expect it to share suspension layout with the Bronco- for that matter, I would expect short-bed US Rangers to use a coil rear suspension.
The Tremor should also be considerably lighter and a little more fuel efficient than the RR. Believe it or not, the current gen RR that we can't buy is actually about 500 lbs heavier than my '18 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.0L and 10-speed.
Apples to apples, the F150 is only about 260lb heavier than the Ranger. The Raptor stuff is HEAVY! A base raptor is 1000lb heavier than a bare-bones F150 Crew.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do we know that the new Raptor gets a Watts linkage? I would expect it to share suspension layout with the Bronco- for that matter, I would expect short-bed US Rangers to use a coil rear suspension.

Technically, we don't know much of anything about the North American version of the next gen Ranger since about the only thing we have seen from Ford so far was Farley's Twitter post saying that the regular Ranger and the Raptor version would be coming here "next year", whatever that means. However, I seriously doubt there would be much of a difference between the NA and global versions of the Raptor, especially the suspension setup which has been confirmed as coil springs and Watt's link for the global Ranger Raptor. As a matter of fact, the current version of the RR that we can't buy already uses a similar setup. All other current Rangers use leaf spring rear suspensions and I doubt that will change either, regardless of bed length or where they are sold.

Apples to apples, the F150 is only about 260lb heavier than the Ranger. The Raptor stuff is HEAVY! A base raptor is 1000lb heavier than a bare-bones F150 Crew.
My point exactly. If you are concerned about fuel mileage, which is directly affected by the weight of any vehicle, don't expect the Ranger Raptor to be all that efficient. As a matter of fact, some versions of the F-150 will probably get better fuel mileage than some versions of the Ranger, especially the Raptor. Doesn't say much about the design of the physically smaller Ranger when compared to the F-150.

Reactions: Doc

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
However, I seriously doubt there would be much of a difference between the NA and global versions of the Raptor, especially the suspension setup which has been confirmed as coil springs and Watt's link for the global Ranger Raptor.
That's what I was wondering about- I knew the current RR used a Watts linkage. I didn't know that had been pronounced for the new model. The Bronco Raptor uses the same 5-link arrangement as other Broncos, So I had thought it plausible (likely) that the RR would simply use the same thing.
I'm contemplating pulling my current truck order to see what materializes for the 3 US market midsizers that are due in the next 2 model years.

Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
That's what I was wondering about- I knew the current RR used a Watts linkage. I didn't know that had been pronounced for the new model. The Bronco Raptor uses the same 5-link arrangement as other Broncos, So I had thought it plausible (likely) that the RR would simply use the same thing.
Everything I've been told is that the Ranger Raptor is the the same car everywhere (including the US) save for local law differences with emissions, fuel quality, compliance etc.

Reactions: Doc

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Even bolder… How about a Tremor with 2.7 and offer it in a SuperCrew/Longbox configuration? That would be my choice… the perfect overland truck with no major mods need and right from the factory. Just take my money!!!
Your persistence in wanting the SC/longbox has not gone unnoticed....(at least by me). I do the same thing regarding interior options; hoping someone from Ford notices. :like:

I will say, that despite the longbox being an option I would not purchase, I do think Ford would be missing out on a lot of commercial sales if they don't make one. A 2wd XLT SC Longbox would be perfect for soooo many companies. Throw a canopy on it and it's ideal for service companies. I use to do commercial electrical service work and a SC/LB was a must. Unless you were actually in the business, a lot of people didn't get the need for the SC, but believe me, it's invaluable. Flip the rear seat up to store items for quick access, then throw everything in the box and drop the seat if you have passengers.
Ford: Build it, and they will come.
Sponsored