• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
We just got our first look at a prototype for the 2023 Ranger Raptor wearing its production body, and running with a 2022-2023 Bronco Warthog!

The Ranger’s flared, brawnier body and Raptor-spec “FORD” grille treatment are on clear display, only partially obscured by the camouflage. Raptor-style wheels, and the usual BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires are also in place—mere days after the announcement that the South African version of the Ranger Raptor was moving from the BFGs to General Grabber AT3 rubber.

The Ranger Raptor prototype is fitted with wide-set dual exhaust, carefully tucked under the bumper for maximum ground clearance, suggesting that V6 power is on tap for the 2023 iteration of the midsize baja truck. The Ranger Raptor’s was joined by a Bronco Warthog prototype, and the two had nearly identical engine and exhaust notes, locking in the notion that these two off-road offerings will be very closely related, mechanically.

The Ranger Raptor’s rear suspension has some camouflage, almost certainly hiding the Live-Valve shocks that have also been photographed on the Bronco Warthog.

This prototype was right-hand-drive, but there’s no doubt that what’s on display here has major ties to what will be offered on the next-generation Ranger in American showrooms.

Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-11
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-10
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-9
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-8
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-7
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-6
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-5
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-4
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-12
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-13
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-14
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-15
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-16
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-17
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-3
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-1
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-18
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-19
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-20
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-21
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-22
Ford Ranger 2023 Ranger Raptor Spied Testing With Bronco Warthog! 2023-ranger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-2

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Hmmm.... The twin marmon rings on the exhaust would imply a V engine vehilce. Maybe 2.7 V6????

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Does the Ranger Raptor have Leaf Springs or Coils for the rear end.

Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
It's going to be coil spring rear like the Euro-spec trucks. If you look at photos 14-17, you'll notice some beefy control arms that gives it away.
Hi SG,

What I see is a lower trailing arm and a above the axle quarter elliptical leaf spring... We had entertained this configuration for the P273 performance package but discarded it.... Wonder if it came back to life or I am just seeing things.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Hi SG,

What I see is a lower trailing arm and a above the axle quarter elliptical leaf spring... We had entertained this configuration for the P273 performance package but discarded it.... Wonder if it came back to life or I am just seeing things.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Regards to you too, Phil. If I'm seeing the same thing that you are, then I'm guessing that that's probably not a leaf spring. It's likely what is holding together that weird bristle-like camouflage that's covering up the suspension.

-SG

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
CSA
Hope they put the step in the rear bumper, what are the two humps at the the rear of the cab?

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
The Ranger’s flared, brawnier body and Raptor-spec “FORD” grille treatment are on clear display, only partially obscured by the camouflage
Raptor = Awesome! I'm not seeing a difference in body over the stock Ranger. Looks the same to me?
Hmmm.... The twin marmon rings on the exhaust would imply a V engine vehilce. Maybe 2.7 V6????
Didn't notice the twin exhaust at first. Definitely not a 2.3l.
I don't see any signs of a leaf spring either. I'm going to bet it will have pretty much the same suspension as the Bronco

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Those are some beefy tow hooks out back. No hooks up front though. I know it's a prototype and there'll be front ones on production units, but I just find it interesting that the back ones are on but not the front.

On another note, the Bronco only has one exhaust tip, but Ranger shows 2. My money is on the Raptor and Warthog having the same engine (& suspension). I'm also willing to bet that there will be only one engine option for each model, so I'm curious as to why the 1 vs 2 exhaust.

I'm pretty stoked that we are finally getting some Ranger & Raptor leaks.

I just hope that the new trucks have the options upgraded to match other vehicle segments.
Please, please, please Ford. Don't downgrade the options. :please: Don't punish the mid-size truck market like has been done so far. We're people too. :frown:

Sponsored

Steve Boehm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Jeep Cherokee and 03 Grand Marquis
Occupation
Director of Information Technology
Does the current Ranger Raptor have a lower towing/payload capacity vs. the standard Ranger? I would love to get a Raptor, but I'm torn if the towing capacity is greatly reduced.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Also, will the Ranger Raptor have "4A" and not just 4H and 4L???

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
I recently test-drove an F-150 with 4A engaged during a typical monsoon rainstorm here in Houston -- my Jeep JK Wrangler doesn't have 4A (though Jeep now offers Selec Trac $695 MSRP as an option on higher trimmed JL Wranglers and JT Gladiators)

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I recently test-drove an F-150 with 4A engaged during a typical monsoon rainstorm here in Houston -- my Jeep JK Wrangler doesn't have 4A (though Jeep now offers Selec Trac $695 MSRP as an option on higher trimmed JL Wranglers and JT Gladiators)
I had 4A in my Sierra and really miss it in the Ranger. It's great for those times in the winter when the roads have are 1/2 dry and 1/2 covered in snow/ice. It pretty much mimics my driving back in the day of manual hubs and transfer case. I'd drive with the hubs locked and in 2wd and keep my hand on the transfer case shifter. The instant I'd feel the wheels slip, I'd yank it into 4wd. 4A does this seamlessly. The only downside is, you don't have any feedback to let you know when your losing traction, so you don't really know when you are going too fast for the conditions. That little bit of 2wd slip, would tell you, "ok, don't go any faster". I do miss the "manual" control

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Any interior pics yet?
Sponsored