• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2024 Ranger Raptor vs Lariat

NASSTY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor / 1994 Bronco
they are supposed to give the appearance of air intakes...but they aren't even functional šŸ™„ the taco has the same design language but slightly less obnoxious, still non functional.
I don't care for those either but the rest of the Taco looks ok.
Sponsored

Sevokevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Occupation
LTL Truck driver
FYI the ZR2 pic posted above is a Silverado, not the Colorado ZR2. I think the new Colorado ZR2 looks pretty nice myself, but I wish they had rear coil springs and a little more power, plus the comments about it being pretty dumb to hide common physical switches and buttons into the infotainment system. Yeah, they can be tuned, but I want an OEM warranty without fighting with anyone. It is hard enough to get stuff that breaks covered under warranty on a stock vehicle these days.

For what it's worth, Ranger Raptors are currently being built right now and will be delivered. There just aren't many of them in this first run and they're way behind schedule. It hasn't been announced if or when they will mass produce them, but if the first run sells well I would absolutely expect Ford to pump more out.
I remember hearing that the production life for the RR at this time will be from 2024 to 2028ā€¦ so those that ordered the truck will get one. We all just have to wait.

Tacoma has the weird vents on the fender flairs, looks goofy
The key thing that makes me want a Tacoma is to go back to a MTā€¦ so the Tacoma is a 2nd for meā€¦ the Colorado ZR2 is pretty pretty pretty but I really donā€™t have that much of a liking to Chevy and GMC so it will be 3rd for me.. but they all beautiful and would love one of each regardless of my distaste for GM

Xyotafella

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Tacoma Off Road
Occupation
Machinist
I remember hearing that the production life for the RR at this time will be from 2024 to 2028ā€¦ so those that ordered the truck will get one. We all just have to wait.

The key thing that makes me want a Tacoma is to go back to a MTā€¦ so the Tacoma is a 2nd for meā€¦ the Colorado ZR2 is pretty pretty pretty but I really donā€™t have that much of a liking to Chevy and GMC so it will be 3rd for me.. but they all beautiful and would love one of each regardless of my distaste for GM
My last three trucks have been Tacomas but I just canā€™t get on board with this new one. Awesome they kept the MT though! Iā€™m really looking forward to the Ranger itā€™ll be something different for me. Just hope itā€™ll be as reliable as my Toyotas have been. At work we have all Ford trucks and only one of them have been in the shop other than oil changes over the last 13yrs so hopefully this one will be the same. That Ford ended up catching fire and burnt down on the interstate after numerous problems šŸ¤£

Sevokevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Occupation
LTL Truck driver
Tacoma has the weird vents on the fender flairs, looks goofy
My last three trucks have been Tacomas but I just canā€™t get on board with this new one. Awesome they kept the MT though! Iā€™m really looking forward to the Ranger itā€™ll be something different for me. Just hope itā€™ll be as reliable as my Toyotas have been. At work we have all Ford trucks and only one of them have been in the shop other than oil changes over the last 13yrs so hopefully this one will be the same. That Ford ended up catching fire and burnt down on the interstate after numerous problems šŸ¤£

I see no issues with what the 2024 Tacomas look like.. they have also been considered to this day the most reliable mid size truck on the market over the Ranger.. and here the only Toyota I have is my current one which is my Prius.. I like it although it could be better because I only have the base model so it does not have any of the nice features other than the standard Toyota Sense features.. and I am currently EXTREMELY tempted to go to the new tacomas for thisā€¦ the only thing right now that will decide if I go to the RR or the Tacoma is if my dealer decides to put on the $10k markup on it when it comes later this yearā€¦ I have a long wait for my RR.. and I am fine with that.. as long as itā€™s here by the end of the year or early next year.

OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
I honestly don't know, but are there any significant changes on the 24?
I just spent some time trying to understand this for myself. It looks like the answer to this question is no. The changes that they did made were to simply redesign the package offerings. For example, The Dessert no longer exists for the ZR2. It was replaced with the Bison Package.
Other than that, same engine, same offerings as far as I can tell.

Sponsored

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
It wouldn't take much arm twisting for me to purchase the GMC Canyon. I like it much better than the Chevy. But for now, I gonna hold out for the job 2 Ranger Lariat with the 2.7L V6. I like the interior better on the MY24 Ranger than the GM twins.

rdwyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Next Gen Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 ordered
Occupation
Retired
Man, that is really sharp grill. Nice!

Hey, that's for the feedback.
I hadn't considered the Chevy until you just posted that picture. It does look pretty nice. I'll take a more in depth look.
I'm also happy that you gave me your opinion on the Tacoma. That was my litmus test. 24' Ranger v. '24 Tacoma. I would see the TRD Pro's around and they always caught my eye. Then I saw the recent Ranger was all of a sudden I forgot about the Tacoma. Heh.

I'm patient though, so I'll continue to research.
Since we are talking about grills, what do you think about painting the Ford to match the vehicle color, I have a blue lightning on order, think the Ford in same cor would be sharp. Interested in feedback.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Good day all!
I'm looking for some advice. I'm new to the Ranger world, but I'm looking to purchase one.
I really, really like the Ranger Raptor, however I discovered that they are not easy to obtain after calling around to some dealers the last couple of days (no allocations near me).
So, my current choice appears to be 1) Maybe get lucky and pick up a 2025 allocation later this year (I'm not in a huge hurry) or 2) Pick up a fully loaded Lariat maybe later this year (maybe even order one custom??)

I'm really not going to off-road / Baja with it. It's primarily going to be highway use. I'd like to take my wife and dogs out on some adventures out west, hit some national & state parts, etc., so I don't know if I'd really get the use of functionality that comes with the Ranger Raptor.
The 3L Engine seems like a big upgrade from the 2.3L, but I don't know how much of a difference that would make or if I would even notice.
With that said, I'm a big fan of the Raptor aesthetics. So much so that almost the entirety of my decision is on looks alone.

As far as I can tell the biggest differences between the Raptor and the Lariat in in the aesthetics department are
  1. Larger fender flares
  2. Meaner looking grill
  3. Larger wheels
  4. Hood Vents
Can any of that be purchased after market and put on the Lariat?
Is there anything else that I missed?

My thinking is this... Even if I did get an allocation, there is no way that I'm going to get away with paying less than MSRP for the Raptor -- So, let's say $57 - $60K.
I'm also an X-Plan member, so (theoretically) my priced out Lariat (~$52K), I could get for maybe something like $49 - $52K.
Would it be possible to just take the extra $8K that I didn't spend on a Raptor and make the Lariat into a similar look?
[/QUOT
I think another 100 HP or so is something you would really notice - even my tuned 2.3 is a very noticeable, should my Raptor materialize (order waiting for schedule) I would tune it too since the Bronco Raptor has a tune the Ranger Raptor will too, so we're talking another 50hp probably. I could care little about mileage and not concerned about price either much and not sure why you'd even imagine paying less than MSRP. I wouldn't even consider trying to clone one, too many other options besides the motor which is reason #1 to me. And the look of the 2024s front end is also really not to my liking. But just my opinions. Take a look at the model comparisons which I'm sure I remember are out there somewhere, maybe even on the Ford site for a good comparison of standard features.

Sevokevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Occupation
LTL Truck driver
Since we are talking about grills, what do you think about painting the Ford to match the vehicle color, I have a blue lightning on order, think the Ford in same cor would be sharp. Interested in feedback.
Only way you have lightning blue on order with the 2024 Rangers is you also ordered a Wrap on the truckā€¦ which is whatā€¦ $6k now days?

rdwyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Only way you have lightning blue on order with the 2024 Rangers is you also ordered a Wrap on the truckā€¦ which is whatā€¦ $6k now days?
I live in the Philippines blue lightning or lightning blue is choice so is meteor gray, sedona orange, black and white I think.

Anyway I can buy the Raptor grill Ford style, thought it would look nice painted lightning blue.

Sponsored

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
I live in the Philippines blue lightning or lightning blue is choice so is meteor gray, sedona orange, black and white I think.

Anyway I can buy the Raptor grill Ford style, thought it would look nice painted lightning blue.
Not my style.

Sevokevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Occupation
LTL Truck driver

You are so freaking lucky! Thatā€™s my absolute favorite blue.. and here all we have is Velocity Blue.

rdwyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You are so freaking lucky! Thatā€™s my absolute favorite blue.. and here all we have is Velocity Blue.
Well not totally, I only get 1 engine style 2.0Litre single turbo diesel. No options just variants. Take Care

OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Just an update
I test drove a Colorado ZR1 (and I may test drive a ZR2 today) . First, I love the exterior. Hands down. It is a mean looking truck. I now wish the Rangers were even more aggressive looking. There are nitpicky things that I don't like about the interior (seat comfort, accents). Ultimately though, there are two things that I can't seem to get past. First, is the engine & fuel economy of 16mpg. For me, this truck will primarily be normal driving and off-roading only secondarily (I don't have room to store a get-around car). I also like the idea of Ford's 10-speed (though I've never driven one). The other thing that I don't like about the interior is simply the feel (or rather -- something I just can't put my finger on)...
I've owned a Ford the last 13 years, and truthfully most of my life. The Ford steering wheel feels like home to me.

So, that leaves me with two options; The RR or the Lariat. The sensible side of me tells me to buy the Lariat. The other side of me is more of the mind; "If your gonna do it, do it right and get the Raptor." I don't like to spend money, but I go all-in when I do. So, cost isn't a huge factor (I'll put half or more down anyway).

In my perfect world, I'd get the Lariat to make the inside look like how I want (beige interior), I'd make the outside look like the Raptor (Fenders and Grill), and I would probably get the 2.7L engine to balance power and fuel economy.

I'm not in a hurry, and truthfully (because I'm waffling right now), I'd prefer to wait until the 2025's are announced. Speaking of which, does anyone know if this 'ORV' truck will be the Tremor?

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
To the OP, IMO hold out for the 2.7L V6, Lariat 4x4. Then little at a time update the exterior with factory or aftermarket items for a somewhat similar off road look. Sounds like you don't really need Raptor capability (just like most others) since the majority of time its on pavement, commuting to work, errands, groceries, etc. Be sensible and save your money. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck and Enjoy in whatever you decide is best for You.
Sponsored