• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2024 Ranger Raptor vs Lariat

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Good day all!
I'm looking for some advice. I'm new to the Ranger world, but I'm looking to purchase one.
I really, really like the Ranger Raptor, however I discovered that they are not easy to obtain after calling around to some dealers the last couple of days (no allocations near me).
So, my current choice appears to be 1) Maybe get lucky and pick up a 2025 allocation later this year (I'm not in a huge hurry) or 2) Pick up a fully loaded Lariat maybe later this year (maybe even order one custom??)

I'm really not going to off-road / Baja with it. It's primarily going to be highway use. I'd like to take my wife and dogs out on some adventures out west, hit some national & state parts, etc., so I don't know if I'd really get the use of functionality that comes with the Ranger Raptor.
The 3L Engine seems like a big upgrade from the 2.3L, but I don't know how much of a difference that would make or if I would even notice.
With that said, I'm a big fan of the Raptor aesthetics. So much so that almost the entirety of my decision is on looks alone.

As far as I can tell the biggest differences between the Raptor and the Lariat in in the aesthetics department are
  1. Larger fender flares
  2. Meaner looking grill
  3. Larger wheels
  4. Hood Vents
Can any of that be purchased after market and put on the Lariat?
Is there anything else that I missed?

My thinking is this... Even if I did get an allocation, there is no way that I'm going to get away with paying less than MSRP for the Raptor -- So, let's say $57 - $60K.
I'm also an X-Plan member, so (theoretically) my priced out Lariat (~$52K), I could get for maybe something like $49 - $52K.
Would it be possible to just take the extra $8K that I didn't spend on a Raptor and make the Lariat into a similar look?
Sponsored

Last edited:

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
Yes I love the Ranger Raptor but what kept me from it was the low tow rating and the terrible fuel mileage.
Someone will say who buys a truck thinking about fuel mileage. I do because I don't want to insure, store and purchase two vehicles. (one for work and one for road trips)

OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge

nappy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Good day all!
I'm looking for some advice. I'm new to the Ranger world, but I'm looking to purchase one.
I really, really like the Ranger Raptor, however I discovered that they are not easy to obtain after calling around to some dealers the last couple of days (no allocations near me).
So, my current choice appears to be 1) Maybe get lucky and pick up a 2025 allocation later this year (I'm not in a huge hurry) or 2) Pick up a fully loaded Lariat maybe later this year (maybe even order one custom??)

I'm really not going to off-road / Baja with it. It's primarily going to be highway use. I'd like to take my wife and dogs out on some adventures out west, hit some national & state parts, etc., so I don't know if I'd really get the use of functionality that comes with the Ranger Raptor.
The 3L Engine seems like a big upgrade from the 2.3L, but I don't know how much of a difference that would make or if I would even notice.
With that said, I'm a big fan of the Raptor aesthetics. So much so that almost the entirety of my decision is on looks alone.

As far as I can tell the biggest differences between the Raptor and the Lariat in in the aesthetics department are
  1. Larger fender flares
  2. Meaner looking grill
  3. Larger wheels
  4. Hood Vents
Can any of that be purchased after market and put on the Lariat?
Is there anything else that I missed?

My thinking is this... Even if I did get an allocation, there is no way that I'm going to get away with paying less than MSRP for the Raptor -- So, let's say $57 - $60K.
I'm also an X-Plan member, so (theoretically) my priced out Lariat (~$52K), I could get for maybe something like $49 - $52K.
Would it be possible to just take the extra $8K that I didn't spend on a Raptor and make the Lariat into a similar look?
The engine produces considerably more power for the yet to be built RR. Don't wait for it as we may not see it for another year, if at all.

Two suggestions:

1. Pick up a Lariat if you can find one (you probably can only find them used) as there's no inventory for Rangers today.I have a Lariat and it's great. I added Fox suspension and new wheels and it's been great.
  2. Consider the Chevy Zr2. A beauty design, IMO, and just as capable as the Ranger. DO NOT ever consider the current and outdated Tacoma's. Terrible transmission and there's a 24 model coming. If you have patience, you could wait for 24 Tacoma's to show up. They will be available far before any Raptors arrive, again, if at all.
  3. Back to # 2, Check out the Chevy. They are available today, look great and will make you smile equally as well as the Lariat (just with better looks, IMO.)
Let us know what you end up doing.
Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Raptor vs Lariat chevy-silverado-zr2-lead-1649777195

Here's my Lariat with the Raptor grill.
Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Raptor vs Lariat 20231227_100803

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Raptor vs Lariat 20231227_100734

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Here's my Lariat with the Raptor grill.
Man, that is really sharp grill. Nice!

Hey, that's for the feedback.
I hadn't considered the Chevy until you just posted that picture. It does look pretty nice. I'll take a more in depth look.
I'm also happy that you gave me your opinion on the Tacoma. That was my litmus test. 24' Ranger v. '24 Tacoma. I would see the TRD Pro's around and they always caught my eye. Then I saw the recent Ranger was all of a sudden I forgot about the Tacoma. Heh.

I'm patient though, so I'll continue to research.

Xyotafella

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Tacoma Off Road
Occupation
Machinist
I bet if ya did some leg work you could find a Raptor for msrp, gonna have to fly to get it. If you’re in no hurry I’d bet in ‘25 you could pick up a Tremor with the 2.7 motor. Just a thought

nappy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Man, that is really sharp grill. Nice!

Hey, that's for the feedback.
I hadn't considered the Chevy until you just posted that picture. It does look pretty nice. I'll take a more in depth look.
I'm also happy that you gave me your opinion on the Tacoma. That was my litmus test. 24' Ranger v. '24 Tacoma. I would see the TRD Pro's around and they always caught my eye. Then I saw the recent Ranger was all of a sudden I forgot about the Tacoma. Heh.

I'm patient though, so I'll continue to research.
I think the 24 Tacoma will be formidable competition with the Ranger Raptor, but that's TBD. One thing that is certain, they will be available sooner than the RR's. I'd highly suggest test driving the Chevy ZR2 if you see one in your area. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, plus they cost less. Don't waste any time driving a current gen Tacoma however, as mentioned.

fordtrks4ever

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Retired
Good day all!

The Xplan is not available on Raptors.
You get about $2000.00 off with xplan on a lariat.

Mine was $51,530. MSRP xplan is $49,625.
MSRP is now $51,635. Xplan is now $49,726.

OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge

re: Xplan is not available on Raptors
Yea, that's why I was thinking that I'd be saving so much time and money by getting the Lariat over the Raptor that i could just then buy aftermarket products to make the Lariat more "Rapter-like"
I just created a pin for X-plan and when I re-ran the "build your own" configurator, the prices came out nearly exactly as yours.

Sponsored

nappy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger

I paid around $45K for my 22 Lariat in Sept 2022.

UpInTheAir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patience
FYI the ZR2 pic posted above is a Silverado, not the Colorado ZR2. I think the new Colorado ZR2 looks pretty nice myself, but I wish they had rear coil springs and a little more power, plus the comments about it being pretty dumb to hide common physical switches and buttons into the infotainment system. Yeah, they can be tuned, but I want an OEM warranty without fighting with anyone. It is hard enough to get stuff that breaks covered under warranty on a stock vehicle these days.

For what it's worth, Ranger Raptors are currently being built right now and will be delivered. There just aren't many of them in this first run and they're way behind schedule. It hasn't been announced if or when they will mass produce them, but if the first run sells well I would absolutely expect Ford to pump more out.

nappy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
re: Xplan is not available on Raptors
Yea, that's why I was thinking that I'd be saving so much time and money by getting the Lariat over the Raptor that i could just then buy aftermarket products to make the Lariat more "Rapter-like"
I just created a pin for X-plan and when I re-ran the "build your own" configurator, the prices came out nearly exactly as yours.
Some quick number for you and similar to what may here have done, including myself.

1. Aftermarket suspension (2" lift)...$1000-1200...but Installation cost varies, but no more than $1K to have them installed, so around $2K give or take all in. I used Ford for my installation and thus, keep the warranty in tact. I went with Fox Performance suspension from Ford direct. They are great on and offroad.
  2. You can also go super cheap for a set of Billstien shocks....$200 or less and they also work well.
  3. Wheels - Rims average around $1000 for a set....Same for Tires. All in roughly $2K give or take.
All in, roughly $4-5K max.

nappy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
FYI the ZR2 pic posted above is a Silverado, not the Colorado ZR2. I think the new Colorado ZR2 looks pretty nice myself, but I wish they had rear coil springs and a little more power, plus the comments about it being pretty dumb to hide common physical switches and buttons into the infotainment system. Yeah, they can be tuned, but I want an OEM warranty without fighting with anyone. It is hard enough to get stuff that breaks covered under warranty on a stock vehicle these days.

For what it's worth, Ranger Raptors are currently being built right now and will be delivered. There just aren't many of them in this first run and they're way behind schedule. It hasn't been announced if or when they will mass produce them, but if the first run sells well I would absolutely expect Ford to pump more out.
I don't agree with your assessment of Ford "pumping out more"....I strongly disagree in fact.

nappy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger

Fixed. :)

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Raptor vs Lariat 1660652967078
Sponsored