Sponsored

2027 Colorado/Canyon gets power upgrade

tisser07

Active Member
First Name
Brandon
Joined
Aug 3, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
25
Reaction score
17
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Operations
If GM had a decent engine in that truck, I may very well be in one of those rather than the RR. Although I think the RR is the best looking mid size, here in Phoenix they are going for $10K over MSRP. Fortunately, I paid MSRP, but I could have probably picked up a AEV package for less than the RR. The Colorado and Canyons just don't seem to sell well here. Actually, mid sized trucks generally don't sell well here.

When I test drove the AT4X, the dealer had dozens on the lot. They all but begged me to buy one. The GMC sales manager cursed once he heard I had driven the RR prior to the GMC. It was like he knew they didn't stand a chance.

The engine was the real killer. Sounded horrible (I didn't know they pumped in engine noise), couldn't barely get up to highway speed (can be in the 90mph range here...true story), and the ride wasn't as comfortable. I hate the white and red interior as well. The standard AT4 has nicer interior in my opinion.

If GM would just make the AEV package more special by putting in a better engine. Ford figured it out with the RR. Could you image a Canyon AEV with the 5.3 or new 5.7 V8? They would own the mid size market.
Sponsored

 

MementoMuri

New Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
4
Reaction score
8
Location
Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Diesel
I've test drove a canyon AT4 recently and to be honest, quite liked it. The initial turbo lag is there but once it kicks it, plenty of power. People keep forgetting the 2.7 was put in the full size trucks first before coming to the twins so that engine is more adequate. And turbos have been in use by luxury brands a decade ago and the engine will probably fail before the turbo.

TFL also said the new 2.7 has a slightly throatier sound due to the new turbo.

However, I also test drove a '26 Frontier Pro4X and to be honest, that V6 is the most impressive. No turbo lag.....the V6 kicks in at both high and low speeds. Plenty of torque and 9 speed tranny is butter smooth. The Roush edition looks really good though the dealer wasn't negotiating much as that was the only stock in 100 miles. But $45k for a oem lifted Fronter with leather/moonroof is not bad at all.

But I'm going to wait out till Ford releases the '27 tremor trim and the 3.0V6 is another factor. I think for '27, the mid size segment will be quite hot!
 

hand-filer

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 16, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
703
Reaction score
1,146
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX4
I personally think the 2.7, with its ground-up design focus of being durable and robust, is a better fit for truck use. I’d imagine that 350hp and 455ft/lb torque gives gm the bragging rights, but after towing 6,000 over steep hilly terrain with my 2.7 I can very honestly say that I couldn’t care less. My 2.7 wasn’t working hard, it wasn’t loud, rpm’s were modest on the uphills, and engine braking controlled speeds on the downhills. All that leaves me wanting is durability and reliability, and for those I’ll take ford’s 2.7 and its 10+ year track record over gm’s high-strung 4-banger all day long.
And it doesn't sound and feel like a diesel.
 

TGG!

Member
First Name
Martin
Joined
Jun 30, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
10
Reaction score
27
Location
Quebec
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger STX
Occupation
Outdoor Guide / Ski Patrol
F HP, I want MPG.
Toyota blew it by not going for higher MPG with hybrid trucks.

40 MPG in a Maverick made it special. 0-60 was never the reason people bought hybrids.

Give me a mid-size truck with 35 MPG and I'll be fine with a 0-60 time under 10 seconds.
This! I wish we could get the hybrid for sells in the ROW markets. I also wish we would get the same payload ratings. A crew cab 4x4 PHEV Ranger in Europe with the has a payload of 2300 lbs.
 

Sponsored

Texasota

Well-Known Member
First Name
Al
Joined
Jan 27, 2019
Threads
1
Messages
472
Reaction score
391
Location
Rochester, MN
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
This! I wish we could get the hybrid for sells in the ROW markets. I also wish we would get the same payload ratings. A crew cab 4x4 PHEV Ranger in Europe with the has a payload of 2300 lbs.
In North America PHEVs don’t sell very well. Most NA hybrid sales are for conventional hybrids. We’ll most likely get a PowerBoost for the Ranger or its future replacement.
 

TGG!

Member
First Name
Martin
Joined
Jun 30, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
10
Reaction score
27
Location
Quebec
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger STX
Occupation
Outdoor Guide / Ski Patrol
Depends on the model and what jurisdiction one is in.
When my better half ordered her RAV4 prime she waited almost 2 years. When the call came it was neither her preferred model nor the color she wanted, it was take it or leave it.
Up here in Quebec PHEV's are quite popular, despite limited supply and choice they make up about 7% of all vehicle sales. The PHEV Ranger exists, they just need to bring it over here.
 

Bear376

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Apr 29, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
47
Reaction score
49
Location
Stillwater, OK
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang, 2019 Mustang, 2025 60th Anniversary Mustang, 2026 Ranger XLT 2.7L
If the GM 2.7 becomes a competitor, Ford just has to make the 3.0 available in more trims. The Raptor is great for what it is but it cannot tow. My personal desire would be to have a model geared for towing, with the 3.0. Beef up the suspension to handle heavier loading. Preferably with a lowered body (about 4") and upgraded brakes. Maybe call it the RATTLESNAKE or RHINO.
Sponsored

 
 







Top