• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

5G Ranger sell to dealer

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
A local dealer offered me $36000 for my 22 Ranger Lariat today. Probably going to sell to them to avoid the trade in discussion when picking up the 24.
What's your thoughts on that price?
Carmax only offered $32k and figuring the dealer won't give a good trade-in because they know I will be driving 4 hours to pick up the new truck.
Sponsored

FarmGirl

First Name
Terri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford 150 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like a reasonable amount. But I guess it depends on what you paid for it initially. I'm selling a 2013 F150 and Carmax lowballed my price. I plan on selling it outright.

OP
OP
tbalt14

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
Sounds like a reasonable amount. But I guess it depends on what you paid for it initially. I'm selling a 2013 F150 and Carmax lowballed my price. I plan on selling it outright.
Yeah Carmax isn't known for good offers.

Scotty piffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 ranger lariat
Occupation
Sales
A local dealer offered me $36000 for my 22 Ranger Lariat today. Probably going to sell to them to avoid the trade in discussion when picking up the 24.
What's your thoughts on that price?
Carmax only offered $32k and figuring the dealer won't give a good trade-in because they know I will be driving 4 hours to pick up the new truck.
you lose the tax credit by not trading it I would def get number form both

OP
OP
tbalt14

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
you lose the tax credit by not trading it I would def get number form both
I'm aware of that but they have the upper advantage since driving that far with non-refundable deposit.

Sponsored

Scotty piffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 ranger lariat
Occupation
Sales
I'm aware of that but they have the upper advantage since driving that far with non-refundable deposit.
Assuming Illinois sales tax is 6.25% on cars you could get like $33750 from that dealer on the trade and it would better to go with them for tax savings and convenience (which is definitely worth something) they will want your trade, I don’t think it makes sense not to atleast ask

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd also check Carvana..they are actually offering a good price for mine and they basically just show up and tow it away. Carmax offered about 1/2 of Carvana.

Another option was an old sponsor on this board, Carmigo. Basically they will list your car in a dealer auction and if you sell they take a few hundred off the top.

I'm in IL as well so i'm weighing these two options against the tax trade-in benefit to see which gets me further.

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
The only problem with asking is that the dealer probably will refuse to make an offer if they don't know when the new Ranger is coming. Most of the dealers around me will only make an offer good for a certain period of time because market conditions change.

When we bought our Subaru, the dealer went longer than they normally do, but we did agree to buy an incoming vehicle and they knew when it was coming.

Unless a Ford dealer knows when their Rangers are arriving, I doubt they'll give a price at all. Or if they did, it would have a time limit.

OP
OP
tbalt14

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
I'd also check Carvana..they are actually offering a good price for mine and they basically just show up and tow it away. Carmax offered about 1/2 of Carvana.

Another option was an old sponsor on this board, Carmigo. Basically they will list your car in a dealer auction and if you sell they take a few hundred off the top.

I'm in IL as well so i'm weighing these two options against the tax trade-in benefit to see which gets me further.
Carvana is risky, they take your trade and title and decide once they get it back to their location if it is worth what they quoted you. If not they lower the amount and send you a check. No thanks on that for me.

OP
OP
tbalt14

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
The only problem with asking is that the dealer probably will refuse to make an offer if they don't know when the new Ranger is coming. Most of the dealers around me will only make an offer good for a certain period of time because market conditions change.

When we bought our Subaru, the dealer went longer than they normally do, but we did agree to buy an incoming vehicle and they knew when it was coming.

Unless a Ford dealer knows when their Rangers are arriving, I doubt they'll give a price at all. Or if they did, it would have a time limit.
Yes my dealer said they will give a quote 1 month from time of delivery, but the way Ford is keeping everything unknown that one month time frame is impossible to know.

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carvana is risky, they take your trade and title and decide once they get it back to their location if it is worth what they quoted you. If not they lower the amount and send you a check. No thanks on that for me.
that might be true, but we sold my wife's old car on carvana with no issues in 2020. cut us a check and drove away. regardless if their offer is good you may be able to use it it as leverage with your other deals, even if you dont plan on going with carvana

OP
OP
tbalt14

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
that might be true, but we sold my wife's old car on carvana with no issues in 2020. cut us a check and drove away. regardless if their offer is good you may be able to use it it as leverage with your other deals, even if you dont plan on going with carvana
I wasn't aware they gave check before leaving and good to know for future needs. Their website states differently but I have got a quote from them also $34575.

RGReid

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2023 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Retired Accountant
When I traded my 2019 Lariat last month, I got an $18K offer from CarMax, $21K offer from ALGOnation.com, and $20K from the Ford dealer. With the savings of the 6.25% sales tax on the trade in amount and lack of a hassle in selling my truck; I just traded it to the dealer and came out ahead by several hundred dollars.

fordtrks4ever

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Retired
Back in Nov Dealer gave me a high and low figure for my 2019 Platinum watching the market it has dropped about $1000. to the lower figure. Guy next door made me an offer and even considering the 6% tax saving on the trade.
I am $3500 ahead so I sold it to him.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
When I traded my 2019 Lariat last month, I got an $18K offer from CarMax, $21K offer from ALGOnation.com, and $20K from the Ford dealer. With the savings of the 6.25% sales tax on the trade in amount and lack of a hassle in selling my truck; I just traded it to the dealer and came out ahead by several hundred dollars.
Seems pretty low to me, lots of miles? I'm looking for way more for my '19 XLT when my 6g arrives...
Sponsored