• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

A Ranger build while I wait

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Ford Ranger A Ranger build while I wait IMG_2272

Ford Ranger A Ranger build while I wait IMG_2273

I saw this on eBay and I couldn’t resist getting it.

1. First step was get it up on a lift and see what the previous owner had done to it. The foam was completely deteriorated. Oil stains, never a good sign when you buy used. This thing is 36 years old and looked every bit of it.

2. Next step was to knock off the decades of neglect. I cut out the front panel mesh and pulled out the foam. This required a lot of tedious brushing and scraping and vacuuming. My wife was not happy with the condition of the dining room table.

3. After that I needed to address the body work. I ran a hot bath in the sink with laundry detergent. I detailed every inch twice to make sure I got the oil stains out. Let it dry overnight with some weight on the bill to keep it straight. All the stains came out and luckily the mid-eighties off-white front panel was in perfect condition.

4. I went down to the parts department at Joanne Fabrics and got some bolts of Pellon FF78F1 Flex Foam and some Heat Bond Light iron transfer adhesive for the rebuild.

5. I found a fabric pattern for a trucker hat online and printed it out. I cut it to size to have it match up to my panels. This was very tedious.

6. I transferred the pattern to a piece of foam and fiddled with it for a half hour until I was happy. Any body shop will tell you it’s all about the panel gaps.

7. I ironed the adhesive onto the foam, and cut off the excess. I once again tucked it into place before using a steam gun to set the adhesive and shape the body. I didn’t get it exactly right but this is also my first time doing this.

Ford Ranger A Ranger build while I wait IMG_2271

And this is how it turned out. It’s a little crooked but good enough for a first time. It’s beautiful to see something this old come back to life. I’ll be wearing this down to the dealership when I go to pick up my new ride hopefully sometime soon.

Thanks for reading!

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
NICE...I had an '89 STX supercab, but no hat, and no Truck of the Year for that year🙁...I'm surprised your plastic adjustment pcs in the back didn't crack and break! I have a few hundred caps and that's the weakness of old hats. I'm wondering if there's a way to restore one that broke as I have a few old faves that broke?

OP
OP
goalieThreeOne

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
NICE...I had an '89 STX supercab, but no hat, and no Truck of the Year for that year🙁...I'm surprised your plastic adjustment pcs in the back didn't crack and break! I have a few hundred caps and that's the weakness of old hats. I'm wondering if there's a way to restore one that broke as I have a few old faves that broke?
This is my first hat restoration but I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do surgery to transplant from a donor hat.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Great idea, I'd go non-OEM with velcro. Have to enter shows as Modified, or Non-judged only class!

Sponsored
OP
OP
goalieThreeOne

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Great idea, I'd go non-OEM with velcro. Have to enter shows as Modified, or Non-judged only class!
I prefer snaps myself so I’d go restomod personally.

OP
OP
goalieThreeOne

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer