• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Dear Aussies, does the Ranger Raptor feel large to drive?

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
I was comparing the Ranger Raptor to the GMC Canyon AT4X last night and it looks like the Raptor is nearly 8 inches wider. That's huge! That's almost the difference between a mid-size and full-size. I REALLY don't want it to drive like a full-size.

Does the new Ranger Raptor feel a lot bigger than a mid-size to drive? How does it compare to your other mid-size trucks in Australia?

I know we've had questions about the width before, but I don't believe I've heard anyone say whether it drives like a bigger truck.
Sponsored

jensht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Raptor
I had the previous gen Ranger (2017 model year), then the first gen Ranger Raptor, and now the second Gen Ranger Raptor. For German standards it is pretty wide and one definitely notices when parking. Most spots are just a little wider than the tires, so parking can be a bit interesting. Driving on older city streets just takes a bit more care and patience, but overall I never thought the width was a limiting factor. Also being less than 2 Meters tall makes it parking garage compatible in almost all parking garages.

Having tried a F150 Raptor here, that pushes the width outside of what I think is realistically acceptable for a daily driver. Too many downsides in the more dense urban environment and smaller streets of Germany.

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the previous gen Ranger (2017 model year), then the first gen Ranger Raptor, and now the second Gen Ranger Raptor. For German standards it is pretty wide and one definitely notices when parking. Most spots are just a little wider than the tires, so parking can be a bit interesting. Driving on older city streets just takes a bit more care and patience, but overall I never thought the width was a limiting factor. Also being less than 2 Meters tall makes it parking garage compatible in almost all parking garages.

Having tried a F150 Raptor here, that pushes the width outside of what I think is realistically acceptable for a daily driver. Too many downsides in the more dense urban environment and smaller streets of Germany.
Thanks, that's a good reference. I also had the previous gen Ranger and I thought the width was perfect for a mid-size. I'm a bit disappointed they decided to make it so much wider. I guess I'll wait to drive it and see, but I will remain nervous until that happens.

deeper

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger raptor 2023
Occupation
Superintendent electrical & electronics
I am pretty happy with the size. I am living downtown and the streets are quite narrow and crowded. Not an issue, especially with the 360 view. The size naturally push the other drivers to give you more room than require. However this is as big as I go for sure.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
A Ranger Raptor is about 1” wider than an Explorer. About the same height. As an Explorer owner, I can tell you that you really won’t notice unless you spend all your time in the city in compact parking garages. For everyone else you’ll be just fine. And the Park Assist will give you that extra help for tight spots when you get to one of those garages. You’ll get used to the width quickly and come to appreciate it when you enjoy the width in the interior.

Sponsored

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
You’ll get used to the width quickly and come to appreciate it when you enjoy the width in the interior.
that's what she said 🤣

sorry I couldn't resist

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Ranger Raptor is about 1” wider than an Explorer. About the same height. As an Explorer owner, I can tell you that you really won’t notice unless you spend all your time in the city in compact parking garages. For everyone else you’ll be just fine. And the Park Assist will give you that extra help for tight spots when you get to one of those garages. You’ll get used to the width quickly and come to appreciate it when you enjoy the width in the interior.
I'm in the suburbs so not too worried about the width for parking. I'm more concerned about the overall feel of driving it. I'm hoping the shorter wheelbase will give it that small truck feeling I'm looking for.

When driving the f-150 back to back with a Ranger, it's night and day and I think a large part of it is the width of the F-150. I know it's not quite that wide but still concerns me. The extra width also concerns me for the off-roading I plan on doing.

Dubfound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
I was comparing the Ranger Raptor to the GMC Canyon AT4X last night and it looks like the Raptor is nearly 8 inches wider. That's huge! That's almost the difference between a mid-size and full-size. I REALLY don't want it to drive like a full-size.

Does the new Ranger Raptor feel a lot bigger than a mid-size to drive? How does it compare to your other mid-size trucks in Australia?

I know we've had questions about the width before, but I don't believe I've heard anyone say whether it drives like a bigger truck.
Huh is it really 8" wider? From what I have found online the AT4X is 84.4" and the Ranger Raptor is 86.7"? My next door neighbor actually has an AT4X and I could measure the actual width. It's a nice looking truck! It also looks like it is about 5-6" taller on paper compared to the Ranger Raptor.

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh is it really 8" wider? From what I have found online the AT4X is 84.4" and the Ranger Raptor is 86.7"? My next door neighbor actually has an AT4X and I could measure the actual width. It's a nice looking truck! It also looks like it is about 5-6" taller on paper compared to the Ranger Raptor.
I got my measurments from the Ford and GMC sites. The width is "excluding mirrors" for both. That's why there is ~8" difference but probably closer when you include mirrors.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my measurments from the Ford and GMC sites. The width is "excluding mirrors" for both. That's why there is ~8" difference but probably closer when you include mirrors.
I think that includes the mirrors. I thought anything over 80 inches required raptor lights. I think the width is something like 79.8

Sponsored
OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that includes the mirrors. I thought anything over 80 inches required raptor lights. I think the width is something like 79.8
That is correct, it's only .2" away from needing the lights. It's not a full 8" wider than the AT4X but it's close to that.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Width on Canyon is 72.4, width on RRaptor is 79.8 so about 7.5 inches.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I've heard the interior is about the same size as the last gen ranger, is this correct?

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
From what I've heard the interior is about the same size as the last gen ranger, is this correct?
Should be wider on the inside by a little bit but I think legroom is exactly the same.

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'ts marginally wider by less than an inch if I remember correctly. The bulk of the width is in a wider wheel track which means much wider fender flares and fenders.
Sponsored