• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Front License Plate Mounts -- any aftermarket fix?

Greglon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 F150 FX2; ‘18 Expy Max; ‘24 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Workforce Director
I’ve noticed in recent pics that the front bumper of the 6g has been modified to accommodate a license plate. I know half the states require this feature, but is this something that all of us will have to live with? I love the sleek modern look of an untagged Ranger. Those threaded holes and flattened area ruin the look. Does anyone know of an after-market fix?
Sponsored

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Holes can be plugged. The flat part you can't really do much with.
I in ON, Canada so I require a front plate. I am hoping I can modify the front holder so I can get my Vision X plate mount on it so I can mount it like my current vehicle.

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I seem to recall many vehicles just have small indentions where the screws would go when the dealer installs the bracket where required or if purchaser wanted the bracket installed. That's the way my 22 Maverick is. I assume that's the case with the ranger but I could be wrong.

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
More states require them than don't, so ford designs the bumper with a bracket mounting location by default. Only an aftermarket bumper would fix it. That is way cheaper than having 2 bumpers, especially if vehicles moved over state lines...

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holes can be plugged. The flat part you can't really do much with.
I in ON, Canada so I require a front plate. I am hoping I can modify the front holder so I can get my Vision X plate mount on it so I can mount it like my current vehicle.
Yes and there are companies that will color-match plugs to Ford's color options. I think this was the one I used years ago https://bumperplugs.com/bumperplugs-for-ford

Sponsored

DanTheMan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Occupation
Social Worker
I’ve noticed in recent pics that the front bumper of the 6g has been modified to accommodate a license plate. I know half the states require this feature, but is this something that all of us will have to live with? I love the sleek modern look of an untagged Ranger. Those threaded holes and flattened area ruin the look. Does anyone know of an after-market fix?
I'm glad I opted out of this feature when I ordered.

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
More states require them than don't
I had no idea that more states require front plates than don't (29 do, 21 don't.) Pretty much everywhere I drive is a no-front-plate state. I live in KY and mostly drive south. No one south of me has front plates. I drive North to Ohio somewhat often, but they recently ditched front plates as well. I'm glad we don't have them.

TMP Montana

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, 2023 Mazda CX-50, 2006Scion Xb
Occupation
Retired
Talk to your dealership prior to delivery. Tell them not to install the bracket or drill the holes. In my experience the front plate bracket is installed by the dealership, but they will leave if off if you ask, even in states that require the front plate.

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Talk to your dealership prior to delivery. Tell them not to install the bracket or drill the holes. In my experience the front plate bracket is installed by the dealership, but they will leave if off if you ask, even in states that require the front plate.
Most holes are drilled by the factory so you will have the hole but no bracket.

TMP Montana

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, 2023 Mazda CX-50, 2006Scion Xb
Occupation
Retired
Most holes are drilled by the factory so you will have the hole but no bracket.
My Ford Sport Trac and 2014 Mustang had indents but no holes in the bumper cover. I'd expect the same on the 2024 Ranger.

Sponsored

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My Ford Sport Trac and 2014 Mustang had indents but no holes in the bumper cover. I'd expect the same on the 2024 Ranger.
Correct, same with my Expedition and Maverick, as a safeguard tell your dealer not to install it unless you approve before hand.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had no idea that more states require front plates than don't (29 do, 21 don't.) Pretty much everywhere I drive is a no-front-plate state. I live in KY and mostly drive south. No one south of me has front plates. I drive North to Ohio somewhat often, but they recently ditched front plates as well. I'm glad we don't have them.
Even the states that "require them" generally don't care. 99% of my driving is in Illinois & Missouri, two states that require a front plate. I haven't had one on my car since 2016 and I've never been hassled.

craigc

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even the states that "require them" generally don't care. 99% of my driving is in Illinois & Missouri, two states that require a front plate. I haven't had one on my car since 2016 and I've never been hassled.
I'm in Texas and with 2 vehicles not having a plate, have been pulled over about 5 times since 2017, the most recent was last month! I still haven't put it on that vehicle, but my other one I was forced to when my son took his driver test - they wouldn't allow the road test without it. Yet it's never checked for in state inspections. I may go ahead and have them put it on the Ranger though, just to stop being concerned with them pulling me over for no other good reason. It has always been in small towns that I get pulled over. They must not have much better to do. Never got a ticket thought - just warnings.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in Texas and with 2 vehicles not having a plate, have been pulled over about 5 times since 2017, the most recent was last month! I still haven't put it on that vehicle, but my other one I was forced to when my son took his driver test - they wouldn't allow the road test without it. Yet it's never checked for in state inspections. I may go ahead and have them put it on the Ranger though, just to stop being concerned with them pulling me over for no other good reason. It has always been in small towns that I get pulled over. They must not have much better to do. Never got a ticket thought - just warnings.
I'm really surprised Illinois of all places never has given me problems..I have also drivin across many states without a peep. I always had a back-up plan if I got pulled over...

Keep some "heavy-duty" zip ties in the glovebox and bend/dirty up the license plate a bit to make it look abused. Tell the cop "oh it fell off the other day and I keep forgetting to put it back, if I can get it attached right here will you drop the ticket?". Since it's a fix-it ticket most would probably be lenient and let you do it there with the zip ties.

As much as I'd like to leave it off my ranger, if I'm towing I don't really have a choice.

Critical Habitat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, ordered '24 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Anyone know of any aftermarket front license plate brackets that mount to Ranger Raptor tow hooks and don't mess up the sensors? I was thinking a mount with a little offset to passenger left might work. Sensor is just 3 inches or so to right of Ranger passenger side tow hook.
Something similar to this.
Ford Ranger Front License Plate Mounts -- any aftermarket fix? plate.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: