• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

HoosierT's Lightning Blue Ranger Build

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Completed mods as of 11/22/19:
Five star tune
MBRP stainless exhaust
DV+
Shrockworks Rock Sliders- textured finish
Fuel Shock wheels - +20et
Bfg KO2 285-70/17
Icon stage 2 with billet UCA
Auto Spring Kits read add a leaf - 1.5” rear lift
Black Oak 10w Cree ditch lights with brackets from FordRangerLifts
Trigger 4 plus 12v controller
Truxedo pro x10 bed cover
BDTrims tailgate letters
LineX bed liner
12v adapter installed in bed
Swing case on passenger side of bed with compressor and fire extinguisher
Max liner floor mats
Vinyl wrap on hood and roof

I'm building my ranger around Overlanding. So far I've only had the windows tinted with 15% ceramic and I had fun with some vinyl and also had the bed sprayed with LineX premium. My 17" fuel wheels are ordered and I just got my BFG KO2s yesterday. They're 285-70R17. I will be ordering the Icon Stage 2 Tubular suspension as soon as Panda gets ahold of them. After that, I'll be adding a custom bed rack (in progress), sporting an iKamper X-Cover which is already preordered. Under that will be a Truxedo Pro X15. I will have a 63qt ARB fridge mounted in the bed powered by a Goal Zero Yeti 400 which will plugged into the bed's 12V power which I also have to add. More to come!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
So glad to see someone building their own rack instead of spending $1500+ on one

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So glad to see someone building their own rack instead of spending $1500+ on one
Yea, a few motivating factors there. Cost was of course a big one. I also specifically wanted one 9" tall so that the top of the rooftop tent lines up with the top of the cab. Lastly, while I know they really have to do it so it can be shipped, I just really don't want one that's all bolted and riveted together. I want all welds for a nice clean look. Then of course it will get powder coated black. Lastly, I wanted to be able to drill my own holes as needed along the side rails for rotopax, maxtrax, etc. Whereas all the ones on the market are already slotted and drilled out.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Your truck looks great but I'm completely distracted by your pegboard paneling. I want a wall like that!

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your truck looks great but I'm completely distracted by your pegboard paneling. I want a wall like that!
Haha you've mentioned that twice now! It was there when I moved in but I just did some looking and found it. Here's what you want:
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...-8-pegboard-panel/1291054/p-1444431323439.htm

Edit, Menards has the better 1/4" thick board and it's actually cheaper.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...-8-pegboard-panel/1291054/p-1444431323439.htm

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
I would love to build my own rack but I have never attempted to weld. That is a skill that I need to learn sooner than later. Of course learning how to weld would have to wait until I put up some of that sweeeeet pegboard paneling. Seriously, I think I am stopping at Home Depot on the way home to get some.

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would love to build my own rack but I have never attempted to weld. That is a skill that I need to learn sooner than later. Of course learning how to weld would have to wait until I put up some of that sweeeeet pegboard paneling. Seriously, I think I am stopping at Home Depot on the way home to get some.
You guys are all over the paneling, lol. Keep in mind that there has to be an air gap behind the panel so the hangers have somewhere to go. If your wall already has drywall, then you’ll need to mount floor to ceiling furing strips 16” OC (basically mounted to the studs) then mount the panel to the strips.

Sponsored

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Yea, a few motivating factors there. Cost was of course a big one. I also specifically wanted one 9" tall so that the top of the rooftop tent lines up with the top of the cab. Lastly, while I know they really have to do it so it can be shipped, I just really don't want one that's all bolted and riveted together. I want all welds for a nice clean look. Then of course it will get powder coated black. Lastly, I wanted to be able to drill my own holes as needed along the side rails for rotopax, maxtrax, etc. Whereas all the ones on the market are already slotted and drilled out.
I'm with you nuts and bolts don't belong on structural items, when welds are so much stronger, and better looking than bulky hardware. Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
Interesting wheel choice. Can’t wait to see them installed.

If I had a do-over not sure I would’ve picked the Yakima HD ajustable rack. Not that it’s bad, just not what I was hoping it would be. Still cant find on the market a proper rack. Wish I had your skills to build my own!!