• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Mirror tap and Fuse tap for Detector or Dash Cam?

HyperM3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5, Ranger Raptor on order
When my truck comes in, Ill be moving over my radar detector and dash cam. My detector is currently tapped into the rear view mirror electricals. My dash cam I have tapped into the fuse box by my footwell.

Has anyone done either one yet? Does anyone have pictures of where to tap up by the rear view mirror and which fuses to tap by the footwell in the Ranger?
Sponsored

OP
OP

HyperM3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used micro taps to plug my radar detector into the rearview mirror Check this out. MirrorTap Power Cord (blendmount.com)
Yeah, thats what I have in my car now, a blendmount and mirror tap. I was hoping someone who has done this in a Ranger could post pics of where to tap by the mirror. How the housing comes apart etc.

nswilliams

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2024 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Senior Research Engineer
OP
OP

HyperM3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since I want a USB connection from mirror, I think this is the closest we can find. For some reason Ranger is not on the list but many other Ford models is listed.

https://www.stickerfab.com/products/dongar-usb-power-mirror-tap-2021-bronco-with-auto-dimming-mirror
OK, but theres got to be something in there that you can tap already. At least for the purpose Im asking about.

I guess nobody has done anything like this yet. I will be the first to tear my mirror apart when I get my truck and post for others who might ask the same thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
So the overseas Rangers get USB ports in the mirror mount from Ford. It looks like they've been removed from the NA model. But in this screen shot I can see where it would mount. Maybe there will be a way to order the USB harness from overseas and add the port back in:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 4.10.07 PM.png

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
I hope to get this done next week when I get back into town if no one has attempted it by then. I ordered a Blendmount, they've been out of stock until today. I just need to find my mirror tap I took out of one of my previous vehicles.

OP
OP

HyperM3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope to get this done next week when I get back into town if no one has attempted it by then. I ordered a Blendmount, they've been out of stock until today. I just need to find my mirror tap I took out of one of my previous vehicles.
Good to know. Guess Ill pre-emptively order my Ford adapter for my Blendmount now. Following thread to see what you come up with on the tap.

Dubfound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
So ironic that you just wrote this I was about to write the same question. I’m taking my Valentine one out of my M3 right now and going to pick up my truck in a few hours. I used one of those invisible cords for my M3 and I’m sure I’ll figure it out in the truck. I pretty much use it the past five or six cars. Same cord.

OP
OP

HyperM3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So ironic that you just wrote this I was about to write the same question. I’m taking my Valentine one out of my M3 right now and going to pick up my truck in a few hours. I used one of those invisible cords for my M3 and I’m sure I’ll figure it out in the truck. I pretty much use it the past five or six cars. Same cord.
Did you order the part for the Ford mirror? Or are you just going to try to make the setup from the m3 work?

Blendmount is telling me they need a picture of the mirror from the passenger side so they can see which adapter I need to order.

So if anyone has a picture or can take one and post it here, that would be great.

Sponsored

nswilliams

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2024 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Senior Research Engineer
I changed my mind about using usb from mirror via adapter I mentioned several post ago.

I just got AZDome M580 for my new ranger not yet arrived but soon. It does support parking monitor only if we use its optional wiring kit that uses both accessory and always powered lines via fuse taps. If just USB then we may lose parking monitoring because of truck being powered off while parking.

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Here's the pic I took to send mine. It wasn't required, just recommended .

Screenshot_20240411_171308_Gallery.jpg

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Got my Blendmount today and installed everything using one of my old mirror taps. Took a while to get the mirror shroud off and had fun with the multimeter. Talk about cramped space.

20240415_183219_resized.jpg

20240415_183224_resized.jpg

I found 12v and ground on the drivers side wiring harness shown here (the gray harness, not what my finger looks like it's pointing at):

20240415_175649_resized.jpg

Unplug the harness and tap wires as follows: WHITE = 12v switched, BLACK/PURPLE STRIPE = Ground.

20240415_181044_resized.jpg

Mirror Tap

20240415_181236_resized.jpg

Plug harness back in, put shroud back in place, install mirror mount (or use suction cup thingy) and enjoy noisy alerts when LEO's shoot radar guns at you unless you're in Mississippi, Virginia, or military bases.

Not sure what I'm going to do for a dash cam. There's no way 2 mirror mounts will fit.

OP
OP

HyperM3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my Blendmount today and installed everything using one of my old mirror taps. Took a while to get the mirror shroud off and had fun with the multimeter. Talk about cramped space.

20240415_183219_resized.jpg

20240415_183224_resized.jpg

I found 12v and ground on the drivers side wiring harness shown here (the gray harness, not what my finger looks like it's pointing at):

20240415_175649_resized.jpg

Unplug the harness and tap wires as follows: WHITE = 12v switched, BLACK/PURPLE STRIPE = Ground.

20240415_181044_resized.jpg

Mirror Tap

20240415_181236_resized.jpg

Plug harness back in, put shroud back in place, install mirror mount (or use suction cup thingy) and enjoy noisy alerts when LEO's shoot radar guns at you unless you're in Mississippi, Virginia, or military bases.

Not sure what I'm going to do for a dash cam. There's no way 2 mirror mounts will fit.
Thank you for this post!! Any tricks for removing the mirror shroud? What type of clips does it use? How many are there?