• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

My Subwoofer Build

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Now to help design my enclosure, I'll load up my Leica Geosystems BLK360 3D laser scanner and scan in the area behind the seat into a 3D model and import it into my Autodesk 3D design suite.

...haha I'm just kidding. I'm building a test box out of cardboard and tape, then I'll see if I smash it when I put the seat back. :D

Well that's one idea, but maybe not accurate enough to make the best of the area with the seat back. I'm thinking up ideas that allow me to get dimensions where I can't see. I'm thinking a couple retracting sleeves mounted at measured heights that will push in when I slowly return the seat back into place. Then I can pull the seat forward, measure how far the sleeves pushed in and work out a proper right triangle. I have lots of sims and charts up there but working out the enclosure is the biggest challenge.

I won't have the woofer right up against the rear seat, that could have negative effects on performance. Everyone worries about the cone hitting the seat, (and that is a concern) but I worry about compression at high output due to a lack of airflow, uneven cone loading, and an effect on Thiele Small parameters. At a minimum I want the woofer outside frame 3/4" away from the seat back. It will be countersunk in the enclosure.
Good luck finding a subwoofer to fit that. I barely got my 8" Kicker L7Ts to fit. If I ever remake the box I would use slightly thinner MDF, airspace was a struggle trying to fit 2 subs.
Sponsored

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Plenty of other discussions. Here's one. We all know it's there. Hook up a sub to line level speakers for a signal and we make it louder.

For some people, yes. For others like me, I want the bottom octave I'm missing in music. A little louder is good but I'm way past the booming stereos stage. And as I mentioned above, fake engine noise gets amplified also when you get signal from a line level speaker. Since nobody has found a solution, I'm going to end up seeing how bad it really is when amplified through a sub amp.
Imo...its pretty bad/annoying. Its not ridiculously loud but you "WILL" hear it everytime you start your truck, between song changes, and when the volume is turned down. Even on idle my subwoofers are being activated.

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Has anyone recorded this fake sound? I can't hear it...
It's a really low frequency and I'm pretty sure my mic wont pick it up very well. But the best way to test it would be revving with a door slightly open(one click away from being closed) and then testing again with all doors closed. Make sure the radio is completely mute and I'm sure you'll have results.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 MINI Cooper S Modified
Occupation
Big Toy Designer
It's a really low frequency and I'm pretty sure my mic wont pick it up very well. But the best way to test it would be revving with a door slightly open(one click away from being closed) and then testing again with all doors closed. Make sure the radio is completely mute and I'm sure you'll have results.
Ah...I think my MBRP exhaust might be dominant so no problem then:)

Sponsored

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Ah...I think my MBRP exhaust might be dominant so no problem then:)
Yeah might be true, I barely noticed it with the stock audio set up, only on WOT. But now with subwoofers I just cant ignore it and always notice it even on idle

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Occupation
EE
I'm surprised you're going with Kicker. They don't often list key parameters like xmax and Vas, at least historically. They are also the only pair of speakers I bought that I had one die on its own without abuse, given that was 10-15 years ago.

On the plus side for this application I see that that's a pretty thin driver. I'm hoping to fit an Alpine SWT or JL TW1, or maybe Alpine SWR-T10 or JL TW3.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Imma gonna build this:
Good news. That will fit behind the seat. :D

I'm surprised you're going with Kicker. They don't often list key parameters like xmax and Vas, at least historically. They are also the only pair of speakers I bought that I had one die on its own without abuse, given that was 10-15 years ago.

On the plus side for this application I see that that's a pretty thin driver. I'm hoping to fit an Alpine SWT or JL TW1, or maybe Alpine SWR-T10 or JL TW3.
Kicker actually did list full T/S parameters on their web site, along with Xmax. I needed at least a little something to make a buying decision. Actual T/S measurements came out close enough, with Qts a little higher and Vas a little lower as is typical for most drivers and would probably be a bit closer after breakin. This one is only 2.7" depth. It's an inset magnet style of driver.

I haven't bought Kicker speakers in 25 years. Back then they held up ok but who knows how things are today. In any case they are cheap. If it falls apart I'll buy another one. I was tempted to go with a quality home audio woofer, but I just can't get one with suitable T/S parameters for a small enclosure. In my closet full of drivers I've actually got one of the best 8" woofers on the planet, (Scan Speak Revelator) but it requires a huge enclosure.

Ford Ranger My Subwoofer Build Kicker-43CWRT82-TS-1
Sponsored