• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

New 6G Ranger competition - New Colorado

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman

Connect

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Looks pretty good to me. I really like the interior... way nicer than the Ranger IMO.

Curios to hear MPG since they are doing away with diesel because 'similar' numbers with new engines. Do we think they can do 20/28? And of course would like to know the rear sear room. Wheelbase 3 inches longer I believe so maybe some of that was put into the rear seat.

Also, interesting that it's going one configuration. Crew/short bed

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4Runner
Really disappointed in the crew/short bed configuration. I will have to see the new exterior in person first to see if it's any good, like when they release the silverado.

New interior looks nice but I don't see a lot of storage.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Looks way better, inside and out, than the outgoing model. It's a tad Tacoma-ish looking IMO, but not enough to deter me. I was very surprised that they are not using the 10spd though. I wouldn't want to buy in the first year, simply because of the 8spd.
I like the stake pockets. That's an important feature for me. And plenty of tie-downs. I couldn't find any mention of a power rear window and zooming in on the interior pics, I couldn't see a button for one. One of the interior pics had an extra 4 buttons on the drivers door, beside the lock/unlock buttons, so I think they may have a memory seat/mirrors option.
If GM releases the Canyon AT4x with the multi tailgate option, then it'd be hard for Ford to win me over....unless they add stake pockets and a memory option....and power rear window to the N/A model. I know those are minor items to determine a purchase on, but both the new Ford and GM trucks look really good inside and out, that it will be the minor items that make the difference.

Sponsored

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Curious to see what the GMC Canyon version will look like, but unless GM offers a trim with a real rear locker and higher payload than the ZR2/ AT4X, then its a 6G FX4 or Tremor for me for sure. Even if GM offers an electronic rear locker in Trail Boss or Z71, I'm still leaning towards the Ranger, but it will be nice to cross shop. I like that GM stayed with a few more hard buttons and this new interior looks nice.

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Looks pretty good to me. I really like the interior... way nicer than the Ranger IMO.

Curios to hear MPG since they are doing away with diesel because 'similar' numbers with new engines. Do we think they can do 20/28? And of course would like to know the rear sear room. Wheelbase 3 inches longer I believe so maybe some of that was put into the rear seat.

Also, interesting that it's going one configuration. Crew/short bed
From the CarScoops article, “Unfortunately, this doesn’t translate into a more spacious cabin as front seat legroom only climbs 0.2 inches (5 mm) while rear seat legroom surprisingly falls 1.1 inches (28 mm).”

Connect

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
From the CarScoops article, “Unfortunately, this doesn’t translate into a more spacious cabin as front seat legroom only climbs 0.2 inches (5 mm) while rear seat legroom surprisingly falls 1.1 inches (28 mm).”
Bummer. Thanks for the info!

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4Runner
Weird move to reduce the already limited rear seat legroom 🤔

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
It looks good, inside and out. I would definitely wait to see the GMC version.
I do not like the quad cab and short bed only, and I do not expect that they will actually hit their claimed mpg figures.

I hate GM, but I would consider buying a used one of these because I will not give GM money directly.

Sponsored

midwestpilot

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Equator
Curious to see what the GMC Canyon version will look like, but unless GM offers a trim with a real rear locker and higher payload than the ZR2/ AT4X, then its a 6G FX4 or Tremor for me for sure. Even if GM offers an electronic rear locker in Trail Boss or Z71, I'm still leaning towards the Ranger, but it will be nice to cross shop. I like that GM stayed with a few more hard buttons and this new interior looks nice.
The ZR2 has always had a front and rear electronic locker and the at4x likely will have them. Trail boss is above the at4/z71 and has the limited slip diff like them, so you’ll have to go to the highest grade for electronic lockers. 3.73 gearing. This is very competive to the Raptor honestly, if ZR2 is 4 grand or so less MSRP than raptor is gonna be a huge battle.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
The ZR2 has always had a front and rear electronic locker and the at4x likely will have them. Trail boss is above the at4/z71 and has the limited slip diff like them, so you’ll have to go to the highest grade for electronic lockers. 3.73 gearing. This is very competive to the Raptor honestly, if ZR2 is 4 grand or so less MSRP than raptor is gonna be a huge battle.
I thought the Trail Boss for this new Colorado slots below the Z71?
i'm pretty sureit does

midwestpilot

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Equator
I thought the Trail Boss for this new Colorado slots below the Z71?
i'm pretty sureit does
No, from least well equipped to highest it’s Z71>Trail boss>ZR2. Z71 is an LT with some more aggressive tires and the limited slip, 8.7 inches ground clearance. Trail boss gets better 32” tires and lift, wider track, 9.7ish inches ground clearance. Zr2 gets the 33s and 3 inch lift.

OP
OP
Fattirz in NC

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I’ve got to admit, this new Colorado is a great looking truck both inside and out, but a cabin with even less space and fewer cab/bed configurations doesn’t make sense to me?!?! I would have been VERY interested in this truck in crewcab/longbed configuration with the TrailBoss package, but I guess it will be an easy pass for me.

I’m hoping the 6G Ranger goes the other direction and ends up being a slightly roomier cabin with even more cab/bed configurations than currently offered. Sign me up for a SuperCrew/longbed Ranger in Lariat trim and the Tremor package.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I like it mostly, good design on the outside, excellent design on the interior this time around. I do wish there would be better wheel options rather than large wheels seen for the Z71. One thing I am not thrilled about is they are sticking with the craptastic 8 speed transmission. Not exactly the best in the business. I guess we'll see how it looks price wise when this and the 6g ranger is out.
Sponsored