• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

New Ranger Raptor 2023 - longevity on bumpy roads?

noobtoe

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2023
Occupation
Farmer
Hello, first post here !

I've bought a new Ranger Raptor 2023, I'm from Europe and not so accustomed with this kind of car.I'm a farmer so many times I need to be on side roads full of potholes ,dirt and mud.
My question is: hitting those potholes with 60-70 km/h would shorten the lifespan of all the parts underneath the car, suspension and all other parts?
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Scab - Shadow Black
That really depends on the size of the pothole Alex but generally, yes it could affect the lifespan of your suspension. It could also cause something to break and could even damage a wheel or tire. A country side road with a broken truck is a very lonely place to be.

If you’re constantly hearing and feeling your shocks bottom out, I recommend easing off the throttle a bit - not as much fun, I know.

OP
OP

noobtoe

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2023
Occupation
Farmer
The thing is, I don't feel like it's beeing hurt that much, I mean on pretty big potholes this car goes like it's on regular road.But yes sometimes I feel some shock in the wheels but still not so hard.

Also keeping this out of the side roads feels like I'm wasting it's purpose but at the same time I don't want to damage it prematurely.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
As long as you're not constantly bottoming out the suspension you should be fine. The Raptor has way better suspension than the regular Ranger to absorb the bumps. Now if you're hitting really huge pot holes all the time then yes, you could be doing some damage and shortening the life. If they're smaller pot holes or washboards you're better off going over them faster as it'll be smoother the faster you go. Next time you're out take a few pictures so we can see what you're talking about.

Alaska_Wolf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Jungle Splash
Occupation
Retired
Hello, first post here !

I've bought a new Ranger Raptor 2023, I'm from Europe and not so accustomed with this kind of car.I'm a farmer so many times I need to be on side roads full of potholes ,dirt and mud.
My question is: hitting those potholes with 60-70 km/h would shorten the lifespan of all the parts underneath the car, suspension and all other parts?
While potholes at 60 -70 kph (37 - 43 mph) probably isn't terrible for the Raptor suspension, driving continuously down a heavily potholed road at over 48 kpm is probably not so great either. On a road of nothing but potholes, I'd personally probably slow down a bit until I cleared the worst of the potholes to keep from potentially warping a wheel, breaking the seal a tire, knocking off wheel weights, or tearing up sway bar bushings; knocking your suspension out of alignment is generally the major issue you'll see from potholes. The Raptor is built to be at home off road and in the dirt and mud, and generally they're not bothered much at all by the occasional pothole; but I'd say they're not terribly keen on long stretches of potholes at higher speeds, even the F 150 Raptors aren't too keen on that.

Sponsored
OP
OP

noobtoe

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2023
Occupation
Farmer
Great advice, I will definelty consider that.
I'll come back with some pics to show you the type of roads I'm talking about.Thanks !

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Next Gen Ranger Wildtrak -RA
Occupation
Retired Automotive Cad Monkey
I have had 3 of the PX (5G) Ranger Raptors and have pushed all 3 of them pretty hard in all sorts of conditions, even towing off-road. You would need to be doing extreme pot holes to even come close to bottoming out the 6G Raptor suspension, you will more than likely bottom out on the ladder frame before doing anything major to the suspension. The Raptor has had everything well and truely upgraded from the standard Ranger and tested. If you are really concerned would suggest getting stronger after market under body protect, but they will be 50kg +
Sponsored