• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I can almost gaurantee the Ranger will not have a 2.7L option. The stock engine will most likely be the same 2.3L turbo, with perhaps some of the upgrades the Mustang 2.3L received. The upgraded engine will be the 3.0L turbo in the Raptor version, which is the same as the Bronco Raptor. I highly doubt Ford will have a third engine option (2.7L) available.

Have you driven the current 5G Ranger with the 2.3L? It works and pulls very well. You can add a tune for ridiculous power.
I was thinking since the plant already set up for it maybe there’s a chance. I really would just like an upgraded engine outside of raptor.
the looks of the ranger are good, but honestly I think the canyon looks better. But i like going fast. I can’t help myself haha
Nothing against the 2.3 i just really like the 2.7. Had the fusion sport and my current f150 is the 2.7
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I can almost gaurantee the Ranger will not have a 2.7L option. The stock engine will most likely be the same 2.3L turbo, with perhaps some of the upgrades the Mustang 2.3L received. The upgraded engine will be the 3.0L turbo in the Raptor version, which is the same as the Bronco Raptor. I highly doubt Ford will have a third engine option (2.7L) available.

Have you driven the current 5G Ranger with the 2.3L? It works and pulls very well. You can add a tune for ridiculous power.
I'm the complete opposite. I can almost guarantee the Ranger WILL have 2.7l option. It's available in the Bronco, so why would Ford not put it in the Ranger when the truck and the assembly line is already set up for it.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I'm the complete opposite. I can almost guarantee the Ranger WILL have 2.7l option. It's available in the Bronco, so why would Ford not put it in the Ranger when the truck and the assembly line is already set up for it.
Product differentiation. Ford would probably rather upsell you into an F-150 with the 2.7. Most people are plenty satisfied with the 2.3L and as noted you can increase performance with a tune. My Maverick has a 2.0L Ecoboost and there's a few people who want the "Focus" 2.0L or Mustang 2.3L, but for me the 250hp 2.0 is plenty. I don't think any of the previous 4 Rangers I owned had more than 140 HP- even the V-6 4.0. ECO 2.3 seems to be the sweet spot for mass production for the Ranger general public.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
I can actually see them offering the 2.7L in the G6 Ranger, but I'd venture to guess it might be only offered on certain trims/models as an option.

The Bronco Wildtrak comes standard with the 2.7, so there could be the possibility of the G6 Ranger Wildtrak doing the same thing or have it as an option.
I can see upper trim models getting it as standard or offered as an option and having the lower trims only engine being the 2.3L.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Product differentiation. Ford would probably rather upsell you into an F-150 with the 2.7. Most people are plenty satisfied with the 2.3L and as noted you can increase performance with a tune. My Maverick has a 2.0L Ecoboost and there's a few people who want the "Focus" 2.0L or Mustang 2.3L, but for me the 250hp 2.0 is plenty. I don't think any of the previous 4 Rangers I owned had more than 140 HP- even the V-6 4.0. ECO 2.3 seems to be the sweet spot for mass production for the Ranger general public.
No disrespect, but I don't think that's a realistic reason. Ford isn't going to believe people will buy an F150 just to get the 2.7l.
Plus, there is no way Ford is going let GM boast best-in-class power when the Ranger is already designed to accept the 2.7.
If the Ranger needed some engineering work and the assembly line needed to be modified to put in the 2.7, I'd fully agree that it wouldn't happen. However, that's not the case. Everything is ready to go. It's just way to easy for Ford not to do it, and they're not going to risk losing business to GM.
....but, then again, I was ready to buy a Bronco because I was 100% convinced it was going to be able to tow 5k +. :crazy:

Last edited:

Sponsored

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Personally, I will be disappointed if the same 2.3 is in the new Ranger. I would hope for the 2.7 option but at the very least it should be the upgraded 2.3 pushing 300 HP. I am not an egotistical person but if you are doing something different make it better than anything else at the time. Hit a home run and don’t settle for less.

OP
OP
dshandy

dshandy

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS300
I just want the 3.0L with the 392hp. The Ranger Raptor is the perfect size for me. I would have already owned an F150 Raptor if it wasn't for their size. Living day-to-day and trying to park those things can be too much. I have always been a huge fan of the Colorado ZR2 but thought it lacked power. This Ranger Raptor combo is the sweet spot for me, small enough to drive daily while still being so capable, they're comparing it to being the 911 of the off road world and in this package I totally see it.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
No disrespect, but I don't think that's a realistic reason. Ford isn't going to believe people will buy an F150 just to get the 2.7l.
Plus, there is no way Ford is going let GM boast best-in-class power when the Ranger is already designed to accept the 2.7.
If the Ranger needed some engineering work and the assembly line needed to be modified to put in the 2.7, I'd fully agree that it wouldn't happen. However, that's not the case. Everything is ready to go. It's just way to easy for Ford not to do it, and they're not going to risk losing business to GM.
....but, then again, I was ready to buy a Bronco because I was 100% convinced it was going to be able to tow 5k +. :crazy:
No worries. Ford is being really secretive about the NA Ranger details- except the Rapter. The only confirmed information I recall seeing about the MAP factory is that some additional construction was needed before starting production of 6G Ranger. Pretty much all we have to go on is the ROW product map with some revisions like deleting any Diesel engine options. They also have (at least AUS versions) an XLS and Sport version in addition to our XL, XLT, Lariat trim levels. We also know there's a Platinum version and Wildtrack? My thinking is Ford is bleeding $ at an incredible rate- took $5.1 Billion loss on Rivian ($3.1 Billion loss overall in Q1), cut 3000 jobs, net loss of $827 Million in Q3, and is losing more than $1 Billion annually on recalls/warranty work. Farley says this quality issue is job #1 to fix to right the ship.

So just some random food for thought informing my opinions here:

-The Raptor is the Hero performance Ranger version globally
-GM just eliminated all but 1 4cyl Turbo motor for the Canyon & Colorado twins
-no confirmed info on what motors Ford may be prepared to swap into 6G Ranger at factory
-I've read Ford usually releases their own performance upgrade tuning specs/packages at some point
-I've not seen overwhelming complaints of existing 2.3 being underpowered as a DD, fleet, rental, etc. mid-size truck
-MPGs will suffer with larger engine- important to a lot of mid-size buyers. May affect overall CAFE ratings as well?
-2.7L is twin turbo and more expensive to own and operate and repair?
-Don't see Ford caring as much about beating GM in a Spec war as they do stopping the bleeding for recall & warranty costs.

*Pure guess here* enthusiast forums like this have a higher % of performance oriented commentors vs. average Ranger buyer Ford targets

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
I just want the 3.0L with the 392hp. The Ranger Raptor is the perfect size for me. I would have already owned an F150 Raptor if it wasn't for their size. Living day-to-day and trying to park those things can be too much. I have always been a huge fan of the Colorado ZR2 but thought it lacked power. This Ranger Raptor combo is the sweet spot for me, small enough to drive daily while still being so capable, they're comparing it to being the 911 of the off road world and in this package I totally see it.
I'm in the same boat man. Literally the only thing that is stopping me from the Zr2 is the weaker power and the interior styling. The interior is okay, far better than last gen, but I just can't stand the color scheme.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
No worries. Ford is being really secretive about the NA Ranger details- except the Rapter. The only confirmed information I recall seeing about the MAP factory is that some additional construction was needed before starting production of 6G Ranger. Pretty much all we have to go on is the ROW product map with some revisions like deleting any Diesel engine options. They also have (at least AUS versions) an XLS and Sport version in addition to our XL, XLT, Lariat trim levels. We also know there's a Platinum version and Wildtrack? My thinking is Ford is bleeding $ at an incredible rate- took $5.1 Billion loss on Rivian ($3.1 Billion loss overall in Q1), cut 3000 jobs, net loss of $827 Million in Q3, and is losing more than $1 Billion annually on recalls/warranty work. Farley says this quality issue is job #1 to fix to right the ship.

So just some random food for thought informing my opinions here:

-The Raptor is the Hero performance Ranger version globally
-GM just eliminated all but 1 4cyl Turbo motor for the Canyon & Colorado twins
-no confirmed info on what motors Ford may be prepared to swap into 6G Ranger at factory
-I've read Ford usually releases their own performance upgrade tuning specs/packages at some point
-I've not seen overwhelming complaints of existing 2.3 being underpowered as a DD, fleet, rental, etc. mid-size truck
-MPGs will suffer with larger engine- important to a lot of mid-size buyers. May affect overall CAFE ratings as well?
-2.7L is twin turbo and more expensive to own and operate and repair?
-Don't see Ford caring as much about beating GM in a Spec war as they do stopping the bleeding for recall & warranty costs.

*Pure guess here* enthusiast forums like this have a higher % of performance oriented commentors vs. average Ranger buyer Ford targets
Some very valid points. I realize MPG is a factor especially given the current world events. As stated in another post Ford has a 2.3 that increases HP and torque with possible improved fuel economy. I expect that motor to be standard in the new Ranger or I will be extremely disappointed. The Raptor is in a class in itself with everything and that’s how it should be. I would love a Raptor but in reality I would never use most of the capabilities so other than having a seriously capable and bad ass truck it’s probably not in my future however a Tremor or Wildtrack is a viable option and would fit my needs 99.9% of the time. I would be happy with either and more power. Just my thoughts and everyone has their own thoughts and opinions.

Sponsored

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Maybe wishful thinking but i’ll go with the following….
2.3 base
2.7 on platinum trim only (maybe another if they do a wildtrak or something)
3.0 Raptor

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Maybe wishful thinking but i’ll go with the following….
2.3 base
2.7 on platinum trim only (maybe another if they do a wildtrak or something)
3.0 Raptor
I’m good with that 👍

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Some very valid points. I realize MPG is a factor especially given the current world events. As stated in another post Ford has a 2.3 that increases HP and torque with possible improved fuel economy. I expect that motor to be standard in the new Ranger or I will be extremely disappointed. The Raptor is in a class in itself with everything and that’s how it should be. I would love a Raptor but in reality I would never use most of the capabilities so other than having a seriously capable and bad ass truck it’s probably not in my future however a Tremor or Wildtrack is a viable option and would fit my needs 99.9% of the time. I would be happy with either and more power. Just my thoughts and everyone has their own thoughts and opinions.
agreed. Yes, I've read multiple articles now comparing the Mustang 2.3 vs. current Ranger 2.3 and I read another 1 (might be an AUS posted article) showing some changes made to the block and more to modernize and optimize the 2.3. I've also read there's a Ford tuning pack that pushes the existing 2.3 from 270 to 300 HP and there's a robust aftermarket for these as well. You and I both lived through the wait & see Maverick experience, and I've refocused my attention now on same approach with Ranger 6G. There's a couple things I won't compromise on like bed length and SCab to make my interest continue past the reveal. I really haven't spent much time with my Maverick yet, but the 2.0 with 250HP seems plenty after initial early observations. Need to take some trips and pull my trailers with it to get a better feel for full potential. We also have the F-150 Sport SCab with Coyote 5.0 and shift on fly 4WD and 6.5' bed that does most anything heavy duty we ask of it + combining that with Maverick and a couple trailers doesn't leave me lacking on anything important.

My best of all world's scenario is the NA Ranger does offer SCab + longer bed + rear seat delete option. I wouldn't need more than FX-2 and Tow packages and be set for life. My friendly local Ford dealer would love to have my low mileage Maverick back on a trade too. Ultimately, I suspect we will be forced to give up our ICE vehicles altogether and my plan would be to do something like a Ford Crate BEV conversion on the Ranger when those become more widely available and affordable. I don't think the Maverick is a good candidate for that with transverse mounted engine and FWD. Should be some interesting times ahead!

RayRay11

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-150
Occupation
Military

Your’rr probably right about no 2.7, but the new ranger will share a platform with and are built in the same plant as the bronco that does offer the 2.7, so they should offer it on the higher trims.

I think the New Colorado/canyon look great. Hoping Ford does the tremor ranger right as an AT4 competitor not just a ranger with a 1inch lift.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Parts constraints. Look at the Bronco orders and one of the top constraints (besides the hardtop) is the 2.7. They kept telling us if you want your Bronco quicker change to the 2.3 and it doesn't look like things are going to get back to 'normal" anytime soon. I can see them adding a little more hp/tq to the 2.3 and calling it a day. Maybe if this were 5 years ago I think you'd see more engine options. Plus with the big push for EV's and their investment in the Blue Oval City I can see them limiting ICE engine choices from here on out.
Sponsored