• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Possible trans or converter issue?

RRstuff07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
You guys are gonna have to forgive me. I’m not a mechanic but I’ll do my best to explain. I’ve got a 24 ranger raptor with around 1100 miles and I’m getting a pulsing feeling both in the rpm and physical feel on the top half of the power band. And it’s only at full throttle. It’s subtle but noticeable. It feels like slight slippage of something. Anyone else having the same issue or would anyone know what could be going on?
Sponsored

JAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
When this happens, are you in 4Auto? If so, try changing to 2H and see if it is still there.

OP
OP

RRstuff07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Add on to this…and again, not a mechanic here but is if possible to have axel wrap with a rear end that doesn’t use leafs?

ivotuk

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
IT
Add on to this…and again, not a mechanic here but is if possible to have axel wrap with a rear end that doesn’t use leafs?
I think the suspension is specifically designed to prevent axle wrap. Like a 4-Link suspension does. Leaf springs were notorious for this. My F-250 would blow the rear drive line when I got axle wrap, so I added kicker shocks and another set of shocks (6 total) on the front side of the axle.

Sponsored

gForceDude

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
You guys are gonna have to forgive me. I’m not a mechanic but I’ll do my best to explain. I’ve got a 24 ranger raptor with around 1100 miles and I’m getting a pulsing feeling both in the rpm and physical feel on the top half of the power band. And it’s only at full throttle. It’s subtle but noticeable. It feels like slight slippage of something. Anyone else having the same issue or would anyone know what could be going on?
Possibly Tranny Torque Converter Lock/UnLock - sometimes they will 'shudder' a bit when Locking/UnLocking, and it can be quite noticeable.

OP
OP

RRstuff07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Possibly Tranny Torque Converter Lock/UnLock - sometimes they will 'shudder' a bit when Locking/UnLocking, and it can be quite noticeable.
I didn’t want to pigeon hole my thread but that’s what I’m suspecting as well. It could be in my head but I the low end of the gear range hasn’t shifted smooth in my opinion from the get go. Specifically in gears 2-4. Any chance it’s all related? Again, it’s being pretty nit picky. Most people would probably drive the truck and not even notice for its worth.

T-Rev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2023 Toyota GR86
I didn’t want to pigeon hole my thread but that’s what I’m suspecting as well. It could be in my head but I the low end of the gear range hasn’t shifted smooth in my opinion from the get go. Specifically in gears 2-4. Any chance it’s all related? Again, it’s being pretty nit picky. Most people would probably drive the truck and not even notice for its worth.
I've had harsh 2nd gear manual shifts at lower RPM but this morning it seemed better. I had read that the transmission learns/adjusts so hopefully it will only get better.

OP
OP

RRstuff07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
I've had harsh 2nd gear manual shifts at lower RPM but this morning it seemed better. I had read that the transmission learns/adjusts so hopefully it will only get better.
I wondered about it getting better as the trans learns as well so the shifts may be unrelated to the original issue

gForceDude

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
I'd give it some time to 'break-in' and see if the shifting improves (it should improve as it 'learns' from your driving style/habits).

The Torque Converter 'shudder' might never go away entirely - that's just the way they are these days (they program them to Lock as early as possible to get better economy/mileage; and then they often seem to be repeatedly Locking/UnLocking).

I'm sure that someone around here with more technical expertise than me will come along shortly, and enlighten us all :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

RRstuff07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
I'd give it some time to 'break-in' and see if the shifting improves (it should improve as it 'learns' from your driving style/habits).

The Torque Converter 'shudder' might never go away entirely - that's just the way they are these days (they program them to Lock as early as possible to get better economy/mileage; and then they often seem to be repeatedly Locking/UnLocking).

I'm sure that someone around here with more technical expertise than me will come along shortly, and enlighten us all :)
I appreciate the input!

OP
OP

RRstuff07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Update on this. Got a message from the Ford Social Media person on here. Just wondering if it’s legitimate. Asking for vin etc. I’m new here so I don’t want to give a bunch of info unless it’s legit obviously. Anyone have experience with that?

T-Rev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2023 Toyota GR86
Is it from this account? If yes, it's legit. Rai helped with opening a case for my QC concerns and Ford has already contacted me. Have a dealer appt setup for next week that they will work with the dealer on.
Ford Ranger Possible trans or converter issue? 1714141869074-l7

As an aside, still experienced some harsh shifting on my trip yesterday but it is at much lower RPM than I had remembered. Needs to be in the 1000-1500 RPM range and not consistent.

OP
OP

RRstuff07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Is it from this account? If yes, it's legit. Rai helped with opening a case for my QC concerns and Ford has already contacted me. Have a dealer appt setup for next week that they will work with the dealer on.
1714141869074-l7.png

As an aside, still experienced some harsh shifting on my trip yesterday but it is at much lower RPM than I had remembered. Needs to be in the 1000-1500 RPM range and not consistent.
Appreciate it T-Rev! I would say that’s the rpm range of my tougher shifts as well. The shuddering I have I think is a separate issue from that but I’ll report back when I know more.