• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger 2.3 vs mustang 2.3

Loden

First Name
임채룡
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Airforce
I know that the 2.3 ecobost engine in the Ranger and Mustang is not the same. The Coyote engine for the F-150 and the Mustang is similar, but I understand that it is somewhat different. I wonder if the two 2.3 ecobost engines have the same name and are mostly different engines, or are they similar to each other like the coyote engine.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I know that the 2.3 ecobost engine in the Ranger and Mustang is not the same.
The engines are very similar, they use the same basic design with only detail differences due to updates in tech, and to suit the vehicle application. The Ranger version of the engine takes elements of the Mustang and Focus RS versions of the 2.3, with the Mustang version being the earliest of the lot, followed by the RS version. All are developed from the 2.0L EcoBoost (similar head and turbocharger tech), and its lineage in the Mazda L engine family, with the basic design going back to the early 2000s.
There is a good thread over on the 5G site with images and details.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost-engine-intro.1018/

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Bill, any idea if the new 2.3EB might be used in the NA-spec 2024 Ranger?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-ford-mustang-engine-ecoboost-v-8-deep-dive/

HRG
Not sure, I've not been able to find much detail on this new engine to confirm if it's a heavy update, or if it's the 3 cylinder platform stretched out to four. My guess is that the 'old' 2.3 is what will be used, we (rest of the world) are getting it in the Everest, Ranger and Amarok already.
Sponsored