• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Fox sticker fit with the white sticker only color scheme so, on it went. And every patch collection must start humbly. Here's my humble collection...so far. I'm in the process of assembling the state flags of all the states I drove through on my trek to California last summer so, this lonely pair will soon have lots of company. 3M tape sticks them to the roof of my cab.

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fox Sticker 1

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Patches

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Custom made insulation covers for small refrigerators can cost upwards of $90 to $100 dollars. I decided to buy a $16 roll of insulation material and do-it-myself. My Alpicool 40 fridge has worked great for me for nearly a year without insulation, so I expect it to work better with a few layers around it. Holes had to be cut for the handles, electrical plug, and air vents. Then I used white cable ties to secure it. Will my efforts win a beauty contest? Uh, no. Do I care? Hell no! Here are a few pictures of the insulation install.

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge 1

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge 2

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge 3

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge 4

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge 5

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
I showed you the fridge rack I built and mounted in the bed of my Ranger. Here it is again fulfilling it's purpose: making access to the Alpicool fridge easier. Note: Normally, straps would tie the handles of the fridge to the chrome rings on the base of the rack when I'm travelling, but I excluded them in these pictures as it was just a test fit. Notice how nicely it fits under the rolling tonneau cover. : )

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge Rack 1

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge Rack 2

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge Rack 3

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Fridge rack 4

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Every build needs a logo.

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Ranger Overland 1

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Here's a picture of the Diode Dynamics fog lights I installed. They really create a wide swatch of light in fron ot and to the sides of the truck. I'll be posting pictures of the lighting I installed on my truck and how they look illuminating a dark road very soon.

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Diode Dynamics

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Doesn’t the fridge turn off after a few hours plugged into the 12v bed plug?
Yes it does, Noel. That's what this is for. More about the Jackery Power Station soon. Hint: It can run my fridge in it's un-insulated state for 12 hours using only 47% of its storage!

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Jackery 1

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Bought an iPad holder on Amazon, but was not happy with the way it mounted, so I fabricated my own mount in the dashboard tray. I also plan to install a Garmin InReach mount on in the empty space on the tray. The GAIA GPS app running on my iPad is a fantastic navigation/route planning tool. I highly recommend it. More on the app and the iPad later.

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal iPad 1

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal iPad 2

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal iPad 3

Sponsored

deeve

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I really like your build! Nice job with it so far. I am looking for a setup to use a rack system, but also have a nice secure bed cover and am realizing there are not a lot of options out there. For me, the biggest con with the rolling cover like yours is the loss of bed space if I wanted to use the bed to haul something bigger on occasion. If the cover is fairly easy to remove then that would negate it.

How are you liking the rolling bed cover so far? Any regrets with it and if you wanted to temporarily it, how hard would that be?

Thanks!
DAVE

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
I really like your build! Nice job with it so far. I am looking for a setup to use a rack system, but also have a nice secure bed cover and am realizing there are not a lot of options out there. For me, the biggest con with the rolling cover like yours is the loss of bed space if I wanted to use the bed to haul something bigger on occasion. If the cover is fairly easy to remove then that would negate it.

How are you liking the rolling bed cover so far? Any regrets with it and if you wanted to temporarily it, how hard would that be?

Thanks!
DAVE
Thanks, Dave. I really like the rolling bed cover. It suits my needs - allowing me to have a fairly low-rise rack system AND a closed secure rear deck that I can still open fully for my fridge and other camping goodies. It seems that every different cover system is a compromise of sorts, no? Soft tops are easily removed but easily cut... etc, etc. While removing it in a pinch would be a 15-20 min job if I really had to, 4 clamps hold it to the bed. Remove them and lift it out. It would be a 2 person job, but certainly doable. I'm not sweating the loss of a foot of rear bed space, tho. Like I said, it's a compromise, but it's the best compromise for my needs. YMMV.

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
After adding the 12V power plug to my Ranger's bed, i started building a box (of sorts) that would be home to the night time power source of my 12V fridge; a Jackery 240 power supply. The box is to store it securely in a padded cradle while traveling, along with other assorted electrical cables and adapters needed for my phones, drone, ipad, etc, and have a place to 'mount it while it's in use around camp. In case you were wondering, YES, the 240 model is plenty capable of keeping my fridge at 30 - 34 degrees for 10 hours using only 1/2 of its stored power. The 12V power point will charge it when on the go. While the box is a work in progress, its basic design though, when finished, won't vary appreciably from what you see here.

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Jackery 4

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Jackery 3

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Jackery 2

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Jackery box

Ford Ranger Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal Jackery Final