• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

J0shM1lls' Ranger Build Thread!

OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Great video. How long did the job take you? Nice air lift btw.
Thanks! I started on Friday and worked basically all day, half day on Saturday, and half day on Sunday. So pretty much 2 full days, leisurely. The lift makes things much easier! :like:
Sponsored

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks! I started on Friday and worked basically all day, half day on Saturday, and half day on Sunday. So pretty much 2 full days, leisurely. The lift makes things much easier! :like:
Thanks for the reply. It certainly looks like a lot of work and the lift and tools you have really paid off. Than k you

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Hi Josh,

Nice work and great video. That said, you can not ever go back to stock after cutting the frame, so you own it from now on.
I will go on record to only say that if you install such a "system", you now own your truck and if your drive line or frame develop problems, you own them as well. You seem to be a level headed person and hope you realize this. I am not a fan of BDS as I have not seen any engineering analysis of their parts.I doubt they will meet Ford engineering standards for durability or function. Hope they work for you. I welcome BDS to supply FEA analysis, metallurgical analysis etc.e=that ensure they have a robust system

I think the front diff brackets are questionable. Hope I am wrong.

Happy Motoring.

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored
OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Hi Josh,

Nice work and great video. That said, you can not ever go back to stock after cutting the frame, so you own it from now on.
I will go on record to only say that if you install such a "system", you now own your truck and if your drive line or frame develop problems, you own them as well. You seem to be a level headed person and hope you realize this. I am not a fan of BDS as I have not seen any engineering analysis of their parts.I doubt they will meet Ford engineering standards for durability or function. Hope they work for you. I welcome BDS to supply FEA analysis, metallurgical analysis etc.e=that ensure they have a robust system

I think the front diff brackets are questionable. Hope I am wrong.

Happy Motoring.

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,
Thanks! I'm well aware that there's no going back at this point haha. BDS at least offers a 'if it breaks we'll replace it no questions asked' warranty. Hoping I never have to use it of course. I hope everyone realizes that if you modify anything these days you have to accept some level of risk. I can also appreciate your passion for Ford Engineering standards! :like:

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Josh, nice job on the video & lift. You are aware of the risk vs. reward & have assumed responsibility for the mods, so it's all good. The only way to find out is to do it!

OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I got my BDS Intrusion Beams installed today, not too bad of a job and you really don't have to follow their instructions to a T. I didn't remove the front bumper completely, just loosened the frame bolts all the way out, then took the 3 off from the side I was working on, pulled the bumper forward enough to slide the front intrusion beams out and slid the bumper back on. For the rear, I popped the 3 rearward fender trim clips off (broke one on the driver side and then realized I can reach my hand in from the inside and push the clips out so they don't break), then removed the two push pins holding the fender liner on and was able to get the bolts for the inner plastic support from there. I also removed the two lower fender bolts which gave me just enough room to push it back and slide the rear intrusion beams out. It was a few more steps than just chopping the stock ones off but it wasn't terrible. Here's some before and afters for the front and just an after for the rear (I forgot a before pic :( ).

Front Stock Intrusion Beam
Ford Ranger J0shM1lls' Ranger Build Thread! 7G20dt9

Front BDS Intrusion Beam
Ford Ranger J0shM1lls' Ranger Build Thread! KYdksQV

Stock Front vs BDS Front
Ford Ranger J0shM1lls' Ranger Build Thread! urnE2k5

Stock Front vs BDS Front Thickness
Ford Ranger J0shM1lls' Ranger Build Thread! Hioz0WC

Rear BDS Intrusion Beam
Ford Ranger J0shM1lls' Ranger Build Thread! AUBS45q

Stock Rear vs BDS Rear
Ford Ranger J0shM1lls' Ranger Build Thread! oWhWflu

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Were your tires running on the factory ones or did you just change them to make sure there was extra clearance?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 MINI Cooper S Modified
Occupation
Big Toy Designer
I got my BDS Intrusion Beams installed today, not too bad of a job and you really don't have to follow their instructions to a T. I didn't remove the front bumper completely, just loosened the frame bolts all the way out, then took the 3 off from the side I was working on, pulled the bumper forward enough to slide the front intrusion beams out and slid the bumper back on. For the rear, I popped the 3 rearward fender trim clips off (broke one on the driver side and then realized I can reach my hand in from the inside and push the clips out so they don't break), then removed the two push pins holding the fender liner on and was able to get the bolts for the inner plastic support from there. I also removed the two lower fender bolts which gave me just enough room to push it back and slide the rear intrusion beams out. It was a few more steps than just chopping the stock ones off but it wasn't terrible. Here's some before and afters for the front and just an after for the rear (I forgot a before pic :( ).

Front Stock Intrusion Beam
7G20dt9.jpg

Front BDS Intrusion Beam
KYdksQV.jpg

Stock Front vs BDS Front
urnE2k5.jpg

Stock Front vs BDS Front Thickness
Hioz0WC.jpg

Rear BDS Intrusion Beam
AUBS45q.jpg

Stock Rear vs BDS Rear
oWhWflu.jpg
Does BDS sell these as stand alone set?

Sponsored
OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Were your tires running on the factory ones or did you just change them to make sure there was extra clearance?
Yep, they were rubbing on both the front and rear driver's side in reverse at full lock. Not anymore! :like:

OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
I installed my Bushwacker OE-Style smooth finish fender flares today. I went with the thinner version that I haven't seen elsewhere yet and I'm quite pleased. They truly do look almost OEM. Here's the set I got in case anyone is interested - https://www.bushwacker.com/bushwacker-20955-02-oe-style-fender-flares-front-and-rear

What do you guys think?

I'll also have an install video up soonish. :sunglasses:

MabcWwW.jpg

ou2k9EN.jpg

fDKYsMh.jpg

Those look great! I really like that they still look stock unlike the other aftermarket bolt on flares. No offense to others who have that style just these look like a stock flare on steroids!:like:

Lmood

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Those look good. Very raptor-like. Is there an add-on flair for the bumper to make it more flush?
Sponsored