• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ugga Mugga

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Australian outlet Car Expert reports: https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2023-ford-ranger-plug-in-hybrid-confirmed

Ford has confirmed it’s working on a plug-in hybrid Ranger ute.

A Ford Europe spokesperson this morning confirmed the Blue Oval’s commercial vehicle range, including the Ranger ute, will be “zero-emission capable” by 2024.

“We know there is growing appetite among Australian consumers for EVs and hybrid vehicles,” Ford Australia said in a statement.

“However, it’s too early to discuss what impacts the Ford of Europe move will have on other markets, including Australia.”

Although the Euro Ranger is built in South Africa, not Thailand like the local model, Ford Australia’s starring role in the Ranger’s development puts us in a strong position to take a full range of engines when the new-generation ute launches.

Ford of Europe’s statement confirms exclusive CarExpert reports the next-generation Ford Ranger and Everest will be available with a plug-in hybrid powertrain.

It’s unlikely to be available at launch in Australia, but the Ranger is expected to be offered with a 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine with a plug-in hybrid system.

The Ranger and Everest PHEV will produce around 270kW of power and 680Nm of torque, and is expected to offer a combined fuel economy of 3.0L/100km.

Our understanding is the plug-in hybrid engine is yet to be used in any Ford products globally.

Currently, the Explorer PHEV uses a 3.0-litre turbocharged V6 and electric motor, while the Escape PHEV uses a smaller 2.5-litre four-cylinder in combination with an electric motor.

As for why the Ranger is going plug-in hybrid? In a move that could have a big impact on Australia, Ford of Europe has committed to selling electric-only passenger cars by 2030.

As part of its transition to an all EV lineup, Ford says by the middle of 2026 all of the models in its European range will be capable of zero tailpipe emissions, meaning every vehicle will have at least a plug-in hybrid or electric drivetrain.
Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
From reading the Ford Australia articles the electric motor will be between the motor and the transmission. No drive on the wheels.
So it seems to be just a plugin and won't charge the battery's through the wheels. Unless there's some system to charge it through the location of the EV motor

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Oh, and it looks like it will only be offered with the 10speed auto on all models. I would be surprised if they also offered the 2.7L V6.
It looks like that will only be on the Raptor. We will see !

RickB4WD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Interested in this. Have to assume that this will come to the US to do battle with the upcoming Gladiator PHEV. Hope it is available on all trims, and pricing and range will be crucial. It'll be nice if they can couple it with a good inverter in the bed like they do on the F150's.

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
From reading the Ford Australia articles the electric motor will be between the motor and the transmission. No drive on the wheels.
So it seems to be just a plugin and won't charge the battery's through the wheels. Unless there's some system to charge it through the location of the EV motor
Isn't that the same as the F150 hybrid but with a bigger battery for plug-in charging?
As I understand, the hybrid F150 puts the motor between engine and transmission, or in tandem as they say in their literature. The motor itself can act as a generator to charge the battery. Thus the F150 will charge the battery while driving, braking, and even sitting still in generator mode.

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Interested in this. Have to assume that this will come to the US to do battle with the upcoming Gladiator PHEV. Hope it is available on all trims, and pricing and range will be crucial. It'll be nice if they can couple it with a good inverter in the bed like they do on the F150's.
I think they will have the ProPower inverter system just like the F-150. That would be very cool because it will be able to power your house during an outage. A lot of our Texas friends would have loved to have that during the last week.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
I think the Explorer hybrid has the same setup (electric motor will be between the motor and the transmission) and it has regenerative braking. Its part of the design.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Ok, I see how it works. I thought you needed the electric motors on the wheels.

So how exactly does it capture that energy and use it to charge the battery? Well, when the brake pedal is pushed down, the electric motor goes to work and spins in the opposite direction that the wheels are spinning in. The reversal of the wheels turns the vehicle into a power generator that produces electrical energy, and as we stated earlier, that electricity is routed to the battery of the vehicle which helps to keep the electric motor working for longer periods of time. At higher speeds the traditional brake pads are still necessary to bring the hybrids to a stop safely, but the regenerative braking system runs regardless.

RickB4WD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I think they will have the ProPower inverter system just like the F-150. That would be very cool because it will be able to power your house during an outage. A lot of our Texas friends would have loved to have that during the last week.
Yes, that's a great use for it, and it would also be awesome for camping or running/charging power tools.

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
I'm anxious to see other versions of this system in Ford vehicles. Personally, I'd love to see a PHEV Transit Cutaway chassis. It would make a great RV, with high capacity lithium batteries and a generator already built in.

Sponsored

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
Oh, and it looks like it will only be offered with the 10speed auto on all models. I would be surprised if they also offered the 2.7L V6.
It looks like that will only be on the Raptor. We will see !
As much as I wanted to see the 2.7 on the (current) Ranger, with the PHEV delivering "A leaked document indicated that this new drivetrain would consist of an electric motor paired with Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4 gasoline engine to produce a combined 270 kW (362 horsepower) and 680 Nm (501 pound-feet) of torque" the 2.7 would be an after thought for me. Especially if I can get the on board generator!! ????

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
We will see if the PHEV comes to North America. I looks like its a go in Europe.
Currently, there are lots of delay's in Global Manufacturing. Caused from Covid 19, shortages of micro chips and so on.
Sponsored